Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winterizing ERA 70C with Alde Hydronic System

Went to winterize my 2015 70C today. It has the Alde Hydronic heating system and the water heater is part of the system. Thought it would be straightforward - I have owned a 70X and also an Itasca Nation 24G and they were easy. Using anti-freeze instead of blowing out the system with air, so looking for the water heater by-pass valve. I cannot find it, and there's really no information in the manuals that points to it. I found what I thought was it, but when pumping in the antifreeze it was still coming out the hot water heater drain. Anyone with a 70C have any pointers? Appreciate any guidance.
cmb0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Alde is a tankless system. After draining you need to close the drain valves and either blow out the system or draw antifreeze through it.
My 70c winterizing instructions were a bit confusing at first. They include the procedures for the A & X models and added the C almost as an after thought.
I winterized last year, used just under 2 gals., pouring the rest in the sinks and toilet. Had no issues after a pretty harsh NY winter.
Hope this helps
Stephen.
Halebopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I did the same as halebopp drained low point drains used 30 psi of air and blew out most of water from system them pumped rv antifreeze till it came out of all outlets just a FYI remove water filter and screen on water pump before you pump antifreeze
talaskim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks

Thanks to both Halebop and Talaskim. Essentially went and did what you suggested. Drained, then ran antifreeze through the system because I didn't have the adapter for my compressor handy. Realizing it's tankless I assumed it wouldn't hurt the water heater. Happy to hear that it was the right approach.
cmb0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Tank

So are we filling the whole water heater tank with antifreeze? It is not really "tankless", it does have a small tank, 2 gal. or so. My dealer told me they filled the entire system and then drained the tank on the one on their lot. Seems to me if you are going to fill the tank you might as well leave it in there.

What is everyone doing about the too-short siphon hose for the antifreeze intake? Any good suggestions where to source a coupling to fit that hose?
Teletim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Done

I talked to someone at Winnebago and he told me these were intentionally built with no heater bypass. The valve behind the panel in the back that looks like part of a bypass system is really a low point drain valve. So with that valve and the blue valve on the heater there you have the 2 valves they are talking about in the manual.

So for the siphon hose I went to Home Depot and got some tubing and a connector that would thread onto the tube on the van. Cost me $9 and worked like a charm, just stuck the extra length [2ft] in a bottle of antifreeze. And now I have it for the next 10 or whatever!
Old 01-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing

Good idea on the tubing. I'll have to do that. Any info on the fitting you got? I gave up and just did the blow-out thing. It freezes here, but not real hard. Drained everything (including the water heater valves, ran the pump to run out as much as I could, and blew out everything at 30PSI, looking for air and no water sprinkles from every source. Seems to work fine.

If you do the antifreeze route, how much do you need? Seems like you will be filling the "tankless" heater, so it seems like it might take quite a bit.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Fitting

I just pulled off the short tube and took it to Home Depot and got a fitting that would thread onto the end. I could only find a brass one that would fit but a I'm sure a plastic one would be fine, maybe even better. I found some tubing there the same diameter, had to buy like 10 feet when I only needed 2ft, but like I said the total cost was less that $10.

I think it took over 3 gallons of antifreeze, due to having to fill the waterheater.

Good Luck
Old 01-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Great idea, thanks! I was struggling with the silly little tube and getting a gallon of antifreeze low enough to make it work.

Tags
winter