Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Why did Winnebago stop making the 70M?

I have been researching pure Class Bs and really like the Era 70M which has a driver's side slideout that provides for a moderate sized couch- wider than the jump seat on the 70A. But the main advantage is that you fold that couch down and then you can lower a Murphy bed in its place. You can leave the bed all made up in between uses. Another big advantage is that it gives you a dry bath aft.

But Winnebago discontinued the Era 70M in 2000. Anyone know why? Was there a problem with the slide- rattling or ???

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
Site Team

I'd never really seen a B with a slide so I researched it. Found a 2019 for sale listed as an Era 70M with a bump-out. for $100K and a trip to Charleston, SC it looks like it could be yours!!!

I think the addition of the "Era" may be what's throwing your search off. It's not showing as a 2020 model.

https://www.campersinn.com/product/n...70m-998177-116
Old 04-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Assume you meant discontinued in 2020?
Discontinued usually means poor sales.
I have only ever seen one in the flesh. Couple from western Michigan said they really liked it. I've always been suspicious of anything with a full wall (or any) slide. Particularly on a lightweight chassis.
The Coach House Arriva V24 also has as dry bath. Without the slide.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am quite sure that Winnebago does not make the Era 70M anymore. It does not show up in their 2000 Era brochure and I contacted Lichtsinn, the biggest Winnebago dealer in the world, and they confirmed it.

I do suspect it may have something to do with the slide and how it was attached and supported with the Sprinter body structure. It is right behind the driver's seat and any rattling will be annoying.

I do not believe it was unpopular (until owners complained about the slide) as lots of them were sold in 2017-2019. Doing a search on Rvtrader.com shows seventeen 70M and 170Ms for sale, all 2017-2019.

David
Old 04-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I am quite sure that Winnebago does not make the Era 70M anymore. It does not show up in their 2000 Era brochure and I contacted Lichtsinn, the biggest Winnebago dealer in the world, and they confirmed it.
I'm not surprised it wasn't in their 2000 Era brochure, as the model wasn't introduced until the late 2000s, 2008-2009, I believe. I think you'll find that a lot of what Lichtsinn says is just self-promoting sales talk. What did they tell you was the reason the 70M was discontinued? I bet you didn't even ask.

Lichtsinn is good for Winnebago related stuff, because it's all they sell, and they're just up the road, but I'm not sure they're the biggest dealer. General RV has a dozen locations nationwide, and they probably sell more product.

Quote:
I do suspect it may have something to do with the slide and how it was attached and supported with the Sprinter body structure. It is right behind the driver's seat and any rattling will be annoying.
That can be said of any motorhome with a slide. My Sunstar had a slide with an intermittent rattle. I don't like them, but some coaches don't give you a choice, if you like the rest of the package. Your "slide complaint" theory is just that, speculative. In business, the usual reason for discontinuing a product is "you can't give it away". The reasons for that can be many and varied.

Quote:
I do not believe it was unpopular (until owners complained about the slide) as lots of them were sold in 2017-2019. Doing a search on Rvtrader.com shows seventeen 70M and 170Ms for sale, all 2017-2019.

David
Speculation. Got a link to a "complaint" by a 70M owner about slide rattles? I'm sure there's one out there somewhere, as it's a fairly common issue with any mh with a slide.
As for RVTrader's 70M listings, they're almost all low mileage used units, and most of the ones I looked at were trying to "give them away" or "reduce obsolete inventory" at those prices. There must be a reason, no?
Doesn't answer why Winnebago discontinued the Murphy bed model. IIRC, the beds had structural problems, and couldn't support the weight of some owners. It was a flimsy bed. I think the power deployment/retract also had failures, too, again IIRC.
Good luck with the mystery of the discontinued Era 70M.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I did ask the Lichtsinn internet sales rep why and she didn't know.

Yes it is all speculation. If anyone has anything other than speculation to offer I would appreciate it.

Your last paragraph probably explains it. We are somewhat sedate 70 year olds so I doubt we will stress it too much . The Murphy bed may be thin but it has to be a lot better than sleeping on couch sections folded out like the 70C, the 70M's predecessor. If the slide can be manually retracted like most Schwintek slides in an emergency I guess I can live with the potential of a slide retraction failure.

David
Old 04-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

They have learned after a couple years that there is no demand for that kind of unit. Same thing Leisure Travel Vans learned about 7-8 years ago. No demand.
Also, we were on a tour of the Winnebago class B plant in Lake Mills, IA 3 years ago. There were several "M" units in the repair/rework area in the plant that were in various stages of disassembly. I asked one of the workers there about why there was so many there. He said they all had to be pulled at the end of the line to be redone because they had so much trouble with the slide out fitting and working correctly after assembly. He also said he didn't see them making that model very long because of the issues they were having with them there and out in the field after sale.

I know an ex-owner of the same setup in the Leisure Travel brand. They had the same experience with their's, in and out of the shop, and didn't keep it very long.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi-

We have put a deposit down on a very slightly used 2018 Era 170M. I too am curious/concerned about the reason for it being discontinued. So are there any actual owners of this floorpan on the forum who can comment on their experience with this particular Era model?

Also, does anyone know what the OCCC (occupant and cargo carrying capacity) of a 170M is vs one of the other floorplans?

Thanks,

-dm
KitsapEra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago