Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #1

What are your thoughts on the Dodge promoter platform

Just wonder ... if you have an RV on the Promaster 3500 platform, what are your thoughts. I have a Thor Tellaro so I have the same platform but am looking for other who have more experience.
Ryker mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We’re on our 2nd Travato. Put 28K miles on our first one with only one small issue with the coolant expansion tank. We average between 16-18 mpg driving at 65. I like to keep it at that speed for several reasons. I don’t want to have a blowout at 70+ with the single rear wheel. I wish it were available with dual rear wheels though. One thing that does irritate me is the small info screen and the TomTom nav system. Other than that, we’re pleased with it.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:31 AM   #3

Thank you for the review ... I am also very worried about a blow-out. I can not even imagine what that must be like in a vehicle weighing some 9000lbs going 70 mph.
How do you like the driving experience. I find that the steering is loose and has some play in it. Have you been in high cross winds? Do you find it underpowered? Is it comfortable? What do you think it is missing?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #4

I created a couple YouTube video on my top 15 likes about the Thor Tellaro and the top 15 dislikes about the Tellaro. I notice that these B-class RV are very similar in set-up and use the same platforms. I now have over 9000 miles on my unit and am looking to compare notes.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Ryker Mom, here is a link to the Thor Forum operated by the owner of this Winnebago forum:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/

Also, at www.irv2.com you’ll find forums for Thor RVs, Class B RVs and even the Promaster chassis.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hey Ryker Mom. My unit is a 2020 and the first one was a 2018. The ride is night and day difference. The 2020 now comes standard with Sumo Springs. Winnebago decided to make that upgrade. When passed by a tractor trailer the older one swayed quite a bit. The 2020 is much more stable. I find the power is adequate for my liking. It’s not like the Ford Transit Eco-Boost of course. The one thing I don’t like is when the transmission downshifts going down a steep hill on its own. All in all I like the Promaster and my 59K layout. There’s also a Promaster Forum you can check out. I found the solution to the problem I had with water accumulating under the wiper blade arms. There’s a very small drain hole that gets easily clogged. Someone suggested using weed whacked string line to clear it out. I used it quite a bit. Also the Pentastar V-6 engine has been around quite along time.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #7

Yes, I like the idea that the drive train has been around a long time and that it is used a lot ... even in the jeep wranglers ... so you know it is proven.

I realize there is other forums (I am a member) but as Thor and winnebago are owned by the same company and the Tellaro / Sequence use the same platform as others (i.e. Winnie) I wanted to get other perspectives as well.

I know driving impressions are all relative, but for those of you who have tried other platforms ... what are the things you like and do not like.

For example, I do not like the steering feel of the Dodge at 70 mph or above as it seems there is too much play in the steering wheel for my liking. Also, I find that driving in high crosswinds is extremely scary (even with crosswind assist - snake oil). I find that cruising at 75 MPH causes the engine to be constantly downshifting to maintain the speed on flat ground and that towing 2000lbs also causes the drivetrain to work extremely hard. The suspension seems decent on highways but is very rough on back roads, I am getting decent gas milage considering the weigh and speed I travel at .... etc ... stuff like that is what I'd like to compare notes on.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It seems the “sweet” spot on mine is under 67 mph. Once I get in the 70 range, the mpg drops significantly. We took a scenic drive on Rt. 17 in Georgia from Savannah to Amelia Island. The speed limit was 55. Got close to 22 mpg. It was all flat driving. In more hilly driving, we get 14. We don’t tow anything.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #9

Here is my review of the Tellaro on the Dodge platform:

Old 05-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker mom View Post
... but as Thor and winnebago are owned by the same company ...
I believe that Thor is owned by Thor Industries, and Winnebago is owned by Winnebago Industries.
Excellent video review of your Thor Tellaro.
Eagle5
Old 05-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I realize there is other forums (I am a member) but as Thor and winnebago are owned by the same company
Nope, Thor and Winnebago are totally separate companies They both make RVs but that’s as close as they get to each other.

For info and discussion of your Thor RV you’ll find much more relevant info on the other forums I mentioned above.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #12

I stand corrected:

Thor Industries
The company owns many well-known RV brands, including Airstream, CrossRoads, Cruiser RV, Dutchmen, Jayco, Starcraft, and Thor Motor Coach. In June 2016, Thor acquired Jayco, which included the Jayco, Starcraft, Highland Ridge, Hymer, and Entegra Coach brands. 2020 acquired Tiffin as well.

I had looked at both Winne and Thor when purchasing my B class and the layout was so similar I had thought they were owned by the same company.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I enjoyed your video Ryker Mom. We had the same issue with the loud AC in our 1st Travato. In 2020 Winnebago started equipping the Travato with the newer Coleman AC unit. It’s so much more quiet. We can comfortably watch tv even with the unit on high. I know every manufacturer has quality control and engineering issues, but wow I’m happy we decided on the Travato. A little more $$$, yes, but we’re very pleased with it.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #14

This is exactly what I set-out to understand ... I want to be better prepared for the next RV
Old 05-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
This is exactly what I set-out to understand ... I want to be better prepared for the next RV
Are you considering changing rigs?
Old 05-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #16

I am planning on changing in December
Old 05-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

The me the front wheel drive ProMaster is a local delivery van and best suited for that purpose so I really would not expect them to be stellar performers at Interstate Speeds. RV's in general are designed for being driven at 65 MPH or less anyways so for many that should not be as much of an issue,

Some local companies have commented that the V6 in them when used commercially for local deliveries tend to burn oil early on however I can't verify the usage and maintenance. I would suspect that stores using them for delivering goods likely have drivers in a hurry and leaning heavy on the accelerator pedal to meet schedules and likely have them loaded to the MAX much of the time. Having around 9,000 lbs gross chassis weight and around 12,000 lbs gross combined weight seems a bit much for a front wheel drive vehicle so I was not surprised to hear the other common comment of leaks where the half shafts connect to the front wheel drive transmission.

Hopefully they have corrected these wear related issues on newer models.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #18
2022 Travato 59KL

Anyone planning on a new RV needs to order it now. We waited 6 months for our new one. I have never gotten the mileage claims on the ProMaster. Maybe my right foot is too heavy. We had our first PM for 3 years and never had a problem. The only time we went to the Ram dealer was for oil changes. The Mercedes Sprinter we had almost sent us to the poor farm. I guess they have to pay for those marble floors somehow.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Class B’s, especially Travatos are insanely popular right now. I have been receiving emails from the dealer I purchased it from weekly letting me know they need inventory.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We've had our Travato for 2 years and love it. Easy to drive, park and use. It does seem a wee bit underpowered but we're not in a rush to get anywhere so that works for us.
Whales is offline   Reply With Quote