Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shower leak in 2018 Winnie Era

This is definitely not good...

Somehow I missed this at the dealer when we did the walk-thru on this used unit last month. I've opened up the shower control valve, and can see that when the shower is on (note not just when the water pump is on) that there is lots of water spraying about in a place it should not be, followed by water dripping (lots of dripping) from the frame underneath. Attached is a picture of the (opened) shower control valve, and below it is where the hose to the shower wand screws in. I believe that behind there is the problem. Most likely the unit was not properly winterized - meaning that they failed to open the shower valve after draining the system to get the last bit of water out of this low point (also an obvious failure on Winnebago's part to put this BELOW the shower control valve).

This looks to me like a panel that is just caulked/glued in, and if I cut the caulk around it with a utility knife, I should have access. I hope. Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks

dm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200902_163827.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	174863  
KitsapEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hello there! I'm dealing a similar issue myself. I installed a FLOE drain down system with high expectations primarily r/t the cost of the device. Had I been able to handle one of these before purchase, I would've realized the quality is lacking. This could be the top prize at a Dave & Busters.

The first time I winterized it worked fine. The pump turns on and off a few times, you open the valves, and you're done. This last winter I went through the same process, but the shower mixer must've retained some water, cracking at least one of the 45 elbows behind the wall and the plastic fitting in shower head itself. The panels are now open, everything is dry, and I've fixed the obvious leak. I caught it quickly so there wasn't any water damage.

I consider myself lucky, no doubt, but I believe I may need to access the same tiny panel to ensure I've fixed the issue. Did you find everything was as expected removing and replacing the panel?

I'm optimistic the FLOE is still useful, with some added diligence, however I am a bit sour.

Thanks again,

Zack
emeraldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I ended up having to use a dremel to open the opening where the mixer is more to get my hand in. PITA.

I use compressed air to totally blow out my system. On top of that, I now keep a small space heater set on low in it all winter (and the van itself plugged in) so that the temp in the cabin never drops below about 45. This also helps to keep the moisture level down and is well worth the few dimes a day it costs.
KitsapEra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, shower