Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Prospective Buyer: Minnie Winnie 31H

Hello,

I was 4th and inches from going through w/ a Jayco Greyhawk 29MV. This rig had a ton of plush options in it, but the CCC of the rig was only 1620.

I have found a 2014 Winnie Minnie 31h w/ the Comfort/Safety and Conveniance/Appearance package + slide toppers at a local Camping World. CCC of that rig is 2903. The wheelbase ratio is also better at .56+

Only thing that the Winnie doesn't have (that I really want) is the Hydraulic Bigfoot Levelers. I understand it will cost me almost 500 pounds, which at least the Winnie has some room in its CCC to accomodate. Might just go w/ boards though and see how it works out.

At any rate, I'm learning fresh about Winnebago in general. What am I getting over the Jayco by way of construction methods, build quality, etc.?

Or is it a wash?
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Did my first walk-thru of the unit. Put down 'hold' money pending a test drive on Friday. I was impressed with the build quality of the unit. Seems its built more functional/practical and it seemed sturdy. The Jayco seemed to have a lot of glitz and eye catching amenties, but the Winnie seemed to me like it was built better. Lots of metal, etc. Still amazed and pleased w/ the CCC of the unit.

If it drives well on Friday and my wife thinks it creaks and groans less than the Jayco it'll be a wrap.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I thought I'd get more feedback by now - is it the question or is this forum not particularly active?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Hello s1njin, I recall an earlier post of yours and your concern of CCC. Looks like you have zeroed in on one that satisfies your need. Great job! I understand the wife's concern with squeaks while on the road. I had the same concern on ours and can say it is as quiet as a car on interstates. I have no problem with the little squeaks making turns in town. Good luck.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The Jayco did creak and groan a great deal while in motion. I'll find out very soon how the Winnie drives. The Sales manager was very excited to learn that I had previously driven the Jayco as he believes I'll be impressed w/ what we see/hear on the Winnie.

The Winnie does not have any of the upgraded suspension components that Jayco includes in their JRide package: rear stabalizer bar, rubber body isolation mounts, Bilstein shocks, rear Hellwig helper spring.

The Winnie does have the rear airbag. I'm VERY interested to see how the lack of these Jayco upgrades actually affects the drive, or if Winnebago overcomes the lack of these suspension components due to the geometry of their coach, layout and weight distribution of their internal cabinetry/tanks/etc.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We had a 31' Minnie Winnie with no slide and we had to watch the weight. The larger class C's have limited CCC. If you are interested in that particular unit, I'd have the dealer take to the scales and get you a weight slip.

When we were loaded for a 1 or 2 week trip, me, the wife, food, maximum of 1/4 tank of fresh water, empty waste tanks and full fuel, we were within 100# of the chassis GVWR. So have the unit weighed to be sure of the actual weight you are dealing with.

Ken
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

With almost 3000 pounds of CCC showing on the sticker, I can't see how I'd come close to filling her up that much. The sticker is federally regulated and legal right? It should be the weight of the motorhome with full fuel.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I am some what biased towards Winnebago, but I do believe they may have a better coach. I have seen very nice Jaycos, well built and functional and I have seen some Winnebagos that seemed not up to their usual standard. I think the poorer ones were in 2005 to 2006. The latest I've looked at have been very well built with a lot of attention to detail.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Errr to correct myself. The CCC shown on the sticker should be the GVWR of the rig (14500) minus the actual weight of the rig with full gas and motor fluids (which Winnie does not show on the yellow sticker). Its federally mandated now to be figured that way right? That CCC number should be golden +/- a hundred pounds due to scale accuracy.

No?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I guess true to its ample documentation and information heritage, apparently a dealer can call Winnebago w/ the VIN and get the axle weights of the rig w/ full gasoline as it was completed. I think that's pretty amazing personally, but maybe it should be the norm all around.

At any rate I'm at 3950/5000 on the front axle, and 7714/9600 on the rear axle. Which rounds out my CCC at 2936. Not sure why its off 30 pounds from the listed CCC on the sticker. I guess there is a bit of variance.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
The Jayco did creak and groan a great deal while in motion. I'll find out very soon how the Winnie drives. The Sales manager was very excited to learn that I had previously driven the Jayco as he believes I'll be impressed w/ what we see/hear on the Winnie.

The Winnie does not have any of the upgraded suspension components that Jayco includes in their JRide package: rear stabalizer bar, rubber body isolation mounts, Bilstein shocks, rear Hellwig helper spring.

The Winnie does have the rear airbag. I'm VERY interested to see how the lack of these Jayco upgrades actually affects the drive, or if Winnebago overcomes the lack of these suspension components due to the geometry of their coach, layout and weight distribution of their internal cabinetry/tanks/etc.

I believe all the items in bold print come standard on the chassis from Ford. I've never heard of a cut away chassis that didn't have these features. Jayco may have modified some of them to meet their needs, but every truck I've ever purchased from Ford since 2003 has those features.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

CCC isn't used anymore. The RV industry has been using OCCC for about 5 years now, that's what you mean, right?

3000 pounds can go quite fast, 50 gallons of water is 400 pounds, 2 people is say 300. There's over 1/4 of what you can carry right there.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Yes, OCCC. I have 2900 pounds for water, people, gear, etc.

Heckuva lot better then the Greyhawk's 1620. From what I've seen from looking at a lot of stickers, this capacity I have is pretty good for a E450 chassis and a 32' coach. My local Jayco dealer has his Greyhawks yellow stickers posted w/ the other pictures (which I think is quite handy). All his greyhawks ranged from 1400 - 1900 OCCC. Or CCC. Amount of stuff you could put in it. I feel luxurious with close to 3000 pounds !!!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

never seen a 31 c w/ slides that high of ccc,may want to call W or find out how they got to that # what was included gas ,w ,lp,
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
never seen a 31 c w/ slides that high of ccc,may want to call W or find out how they got to that # what was included gas ,w ,lp,
Already thought of that. I had the dealer call in and get me the axle weights from Winnebago. The front axle is 3,950 and the rear is 7,714 based on full fuel and LP. I have it in writing "email" from them so I had something of relevance beyond a phone conversation.

This model Winnie isn't the 'Premier' Winnie with all the Corian countertops, larger fridge with raised cabinetry, porcelain toilet and stuff. Its the Winnie Minnie with both option packages but NOT the Premier package. I'm guessing that would have probably cost me a goodly amount of weight.

For a family with young kids that only use the coach for a week or two vacation tops along w/ some long weekends sprinkled in, while the Premier package would have been nice we just don't need it.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

like txiceman said u may want to get ,it weighed again w/ u& dw on board,just to satsify yourself. if these # are true then thsts a real plus
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Well, we're picking her up on Monday !!!! Drove it - it was definitely less creaky and groany than the Greyhawk and it felt more energetic (I suppose owing to it being 1500 pounds lighter). We are SUPER excited !!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Enjoy, I think you got a great RV. Winnebago makes good quality coaches and their customer support is great.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We noticed the cabinetry wasn't as nice as the Jayco's. Noticeably thinner and the drawers did not have the glide rail extension system that all the Jayco's had.

On the flipside we don't full-time in it; its truly a vacation home for us. As such we didn't care a whole lot about it in the end, but we did note it.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Well I went through about 6 hours of remarkably cold feet. I kept thinking about all the horror stories I've read of people gassing up and hitting things manuevering due to the long back ends these things have after the rear axle.

Finally I drove myself down to camping world and walked the lot. My rig is in service getting ready for delivery monday, so I had to settle for staring at a ancient leprachaun and a older Greyhawk 31SS.

These 31-32' rigs ALL have a big back end. For some reason the pictures of the Winnie look deceiving to me; I know the wheelbase is on the better end of pretty good at 56.3%, but the PICTURES of the thing were just sending me off into left field. "How did I DRIVE that thing, how did I even TURN in that thing" kind of stuff.

After walking the lot and seeing them up in person, I settled down. Coming home on the SAME road I drove the Winnie down with little to no issues, I settled down some more.

I'm ready to go get her on Monday evening. I think. :P