Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2022, 06:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Poor 2020 Boldt KL quality complaints

Hi. I love the design and features of my 2020 Boldt KL, but cannot say enough how disappointing the general build quality and workmanship are.

In 26,000 miles of use, we have replaced the Shur-Flo water pump (because the unit was installed so that, as it vibrated, it came into contact with the base of one bed, causing the outflow pipe to crack), the MaxxAir fan (unknown reason, but control unit failed), seen the awning become useless (it jams when retracting), and now have a bathroom pocket door that will only slide halfway open until the wheeled support runs straight into a screw head securing the door track. And, of course, this loose screwhead is a good 8-10" inside the door pocket, unreachable and unfixable without somehow taking the door entirely off the track and then dismantling the entire back closet (which would also mean removing and reinstalling the black tank vent) to gain access. (I had to use a fiber optic borescope to even see the issue. Photo renders upside down, but you get the idea).

Winnebago, you sell a $200,000 vehicle that makes an IKEA book case seem like fine furniture.

Better quality parts and some degree of care in workmanship could have prevented this issue.

Oh well, my wife says she'll make a curtain.

Glad I bought this one. But never again. I should have known this was coming from the one-year warranty offered with 2020 models!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket door screw.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	182792  
PNW Boldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Pacific NorthWest Boldt,
It seems to me that your vehicle which is about two years old is having an average of one issue every six months. Any machine is just a collection of parts, and all that you describe can be well repaired.
I have rented motorhomes (not Winnebago) which were so poorly constructed I brought JB Weld with me on the trips to glue the cabinetry back together on our nightly stops. I have seen new motorhomes on the dealer lot (again; not Winnebago) where the bathroom door catch was off by ˝" and was shipped across the country that way.
My dad used to tell me to not try to get everything too perfect, or you will drive yourself nuts.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 05-09-2022, 03:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I really and totally understand your frustration. I had a brand new 2017 Thor product and almost everything needed attention at one time or another. Once I traded to get a larger but older coach did I find that it still needed attention.

I started to think about the beating our rigs take going down the roads. How in the world can a screw or piece of equipment take that kind of beating. Your coach with 26000 miles has seen alot of road miles and other than a few items that need attention sounds like you are happy with it.

Good Luck and safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If those are your big problems ,, you got off easy . Suck it up and fix it your self or get it to a dealer and really get mad at how long it will take and the cost .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
Site Team

The reality is that you can spend $2 million on an RV and have many more issues than you have seen on your RV that cost 1/10th of that.

RVs are sold in such smaller quantities than automobiles that it’s not possible to engineer and build products with any type of consistency in every unit built. As a result they all are built with problems and quality inspections can only find so many. In the end the user is the quality inspector.

Add to that the use of 3rd party subsystems for most functions and these items can be problematic on their own. As you’ve seen, since just about everything you mentioned is some item supplied by a 3rd party and not Winnebago.

We all commiserate with you and your very real frustration, but as others have suggested, in the scheme of things you’ve gotten off fairly light compared to many others.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

This is an example as to why a well-maintained, previously owned RV can be a better choice than a new one.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This is an example as to why a well-maintained, previously owned RV can be a better choice than a new one.
I would agree with that, but...

You really need to know the PO and know that he is very competent and was able to fix almost all problems himself. Otherwise the seller is probably clueless as to what is wrong with the used coach he is selling.

How many times have people asked on these forums "my batteries don't work when I am not plugged in" and discovered a post or two later that it was the battery disconnect switch. The average RV owner spends his time at FHU campsites and doesn't understand the coach's DC system. I myself thought I had a problem with the slide installation being crooked until I discovered synchronization was all it needed.

I guess I am more comfortable having a year of warranty coverage in case a really major problem crops up rather than buying a used RV with nothing.

David
Old 05-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I'm a relatively skilled DIYer with a history of used sailboats and RVs under my belt. I've never bought from an average owner and, I suppose I'm not an average buyer. So far, I've always been able to tell if a PO knows his stuff and has taken care of things. There's a certain pride of ownership and knowledge that I find easy to spot.

I guess if you're a relatively unknowledgeable buyer with limited DIY skills, it can be a crapshoot.

I did buy one new TT but only because the dealer gave me a screaming deal on a previous year's model. I found out when I went to OR to pick it up that the manager had misread the inventory and sold me a current year's model for the past year's discounted price. I was impressed that they honored the deal despite their mistake.

Then again, there are always those who pretty much always buy new just on principle, be it boats, RVs, cars or houses.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

If there is any room to get in there I would be tempted to fabricate a handle extension onto a right angle screwdriver and slip it in there and try to tighten the screw back down. I have a set of Snap on Bluepoint ratcheting right angle drivers with a high tooth count that only needs a very short throw to ratchet. It has a magnetic bit holder and I have cut down a phillips bit so it only sticks out 1/4" for tight places like that. If there is room to swing one you might get away with a cheaper one like this, it says .71 thickness but you could cut the bit down and make it thinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thin RA.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	182798  
Old 05-15-2022, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Boldt View Post
Hi. I love the design and features of my 2020 Boldt KL, but cannot say enough how disappointing the general build quality and workmanship are.

In 26,000 miles of use, we have replaced the Shur-Flo water pump (because the unit was installed so that, as it vibrated, it came into contact with the base of one bed, causing the outflow pipe to crack), the MaxxAir fan (unknown reason, but control unit failed), seen the awning become useless (it jams when retracting), and now have a bathroom pocket door that will only slide halfway open until the wheeled support runs straight into a screw head securing the door track. And, of course, this loose screwhead is a good 8-10" inside the door pocket, unreachable and unfixable without somehow taking the door entirely off the track and then dismantling the entire back closet (which would also mean removing and reinstalling the black tank vent) to gain access. (I had to use a fiber optic borescope to even see the issue. Photo renders upside down, but you get the idea).

Winnebago, you sell a $200,000 vehicle that makes an IKEA book case seem like fine furniture.

Better quality parts and some degree of care in workmanship could have prevented this issue.

Oh well, my wife says she'll make a curtain.

Glad I bought this one. But never again. I should have known this was coming from the one-year warranty offered with 2020 models!
Check out the BOLDT owners Facebook page
jktsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

PNW Boldt, the pocket door should be pretty easy to remove. Once it's removed, try to use bogb's instructions. If you can't get the screw to go down and there is nothing else you can figure out, then try getting a hacksaw blade into the opening and hack the screw off and pull the cut-off piece out with a magnet and hope the tract is secured enough with the other screws to handle the door.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

can I call winnebago to get a unit history?
Globaby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globaby100 View Post
can I call winnebago to get a unit history?
I've never tried it but would not think it worth the effort.
I would guess at least half the repairs done on any Rv are not reported to Winnebago as they are done by private repair or DIY!
Chassis items that are recalled for defects might show up on searches for safety defects found? Same as normal cars/trucks.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:35 AM   #14
Site Team

I agree with Richard, Winnebago doesn't keep records of repairs from dealers or mobile techs, etc. Perhaps they have records of a service trip to the factory service center in Iowa. But I doubt they have anything else.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

You do want to register with Winnebago if you buy a used one, at least with motorized ones. They will associate the VIN and serial # with your name and contact information so they can reach you in case of any recall that impacts your RV.

Once you have registered as the owner, I would think that their call center would share any history their computers have on your RV, but I agree that this would probally be limited to Winnebago paid dealer warranty work and work done at the factory service center. I can't say for sure that the record their customer call center reps can pull up will even show that.

Can't say if the TT division has the same level of customer support. They probally do but can't say for sure.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:10 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Howdy,

As an owner of a 2023 Travato 59K with SO MANY issues that are yet to be resolved -- I feel your pain.

I'm going go with the premise that the one team at Winnebago has still working from home is the QA department.

BTW -- this is our 3rd Winnebago -- our most costly, definitely our most disappointing, and (fortunately/unfortunately) on of the biggest mistakes we have ever made.
Gizmoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 03:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Did PNW Boldt get his door on tract?
Gizmoneer, I'm sorry you're having problems with the Travato. Apparently you have another motor home not yet sold. Maybe you can ease some of the pain and use it until your Travato better cooperates.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Our 4th RV is "semi-permanently" parked in a planned community a few miles from the Canadian border and for sale. We had hoped to use the proceeds from the sale to offset some of the cost of the Travato -- however, since most of our neighbors are Canadian and the exchange rate at over $1.35 Canadian to $1 US -- things are slow to sell in our community. Meanwhile -- though the heating/power generation systems are not-working in the Travato, we're not letting moss grow under our wheels.

After over 15 years of RVing and continuing to get smaller with each RV purchased -- we've learned how to make do with less. PLUS hopefully most of the system repairs will get resolved this month. (I'm thinking positively...)
Gizmoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality