Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
New Winnebago owner

Part for side windows 2010 Winnebago Era 170

This part broke on my 2010 Winn Era (Sprintervan) side window, and the part is no longer available. Without it, the window came right out in my hand. Any info on where I might find the part would be much appreciated!

I have been emailing RV salvage places that I found online, but no luck so far.

I wonder if there might be a way to MacGyver a fix. What broke was the joint between the arm and a little sliding connector that fits under the bottom edge of the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campervan window inside shot of tilt mechanism attached.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	183335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campervan window inside shot of tilt mechanism not attached.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	183336  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Campervan window pane removed showing crank mechanism from outside.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	183337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campervan window showing attachment point for mechanism on underside.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	183338  

starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you think it's a Winnebago specific window... or a Sprinter Window?

Have you looked in the Winnebago Parts catalog for the window?

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/m...htm?v=20201203

Have you tried https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php? It's a Sprinter Van Forum and has a lot of specific Sprinter help and advice.

Also, I see that https://www.rvwindows.com/products/s...ndows-new-gen/ has some Sprinter specific parts in their catalog.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:28 PM   #3
New Winnebago owner

I was told by a couple of different dealers that it was a Winnebago window, not a Sprinter window. They were able to give me the Winnebago part number, and also the Atwood part number, but it's no longer available. I didn't even know Atwood made windows--I just knew them as the manufacturer of my water heater--but apparently they were taken over by someone else and went out of the window business.

There are full replacement windows available--very pricey, and presumably with a different mechanism--but I don't need that. I just need the part that torques the window open.

I will check those links you provided, though, just in case. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Sounds like you'll need to jerry-rig something or buy the entire window.

LCI bought Atwood - they have a window replacement website. But I don't know if it will help at all.

https://www.lci1.com/rv-windows

Is it that round metal disc on the end of that torque arm? I'd think that part could be replaced with something from a Home Depot "fasteners" dept. But not seeing it inf real life it's difficult to tell.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
New Winnebago owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Sounds like you'll need to jerry-rig something or buy the entire window.

LCI bought Atwood - they have a window replacement website. But I don't know if it will help at all.

https://www.lci1.com/rv-windows

Is it that round metal disc on the end of that torque arm? I'd think that part could be replaced with something from a Home Depot "fasteners" dept. But not seeing it inf real life it's difficult to tell.
There's a small, round disk at the end of each arm. It fits into a hollow in a little slider that runs in a track under the bottom edge of the glass. As nearly as I can tell, one of the discs became welded or corroded to the slider, so instead of turning slightly, it broke off. Not sure I have the tools or the knowhow to extract that piece. But I haven't tried yet.

If I can't find the part or jury-rig it, I'll just seal the window pane in place, I think. But I would have thought that there must have been a few of these campervans that made it into salvage yards somewhere.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
Wheelcrazy

I think you might be able to drill out the old part and replace the slider in the groove with a small nylon washer which could be attached to the arm with a pop rivet. I’m suggesting nylon because it wouldn’t be necessary for it to rotate, it should slide without much friction. I think a simple repair can be “engineered” without replacing the entire window. If successful you also will be prepared if the same thing occurs on other windows.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:17 PM   #7
New Winnebago owner

I forgot to post--I did, in fact, repair the old part. Turns out what looked like an aluminum disk intended to fit into a recess was actually a broken-off rivet. I drilled it out, and after trying several options, ended up using an ordinary machine screw that I had on hand with a lock washer. (Well, one at each end.) Works great, as good as new. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tags
window