Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No tv reception

Sorry in advance for so many newbie questions concerning my new to me 2013 ERA 70A

1. Where are the house batteries located?

2. I have tried to scan for OTA tv channels. Keeps asking me to rescan air. Are the original Jenson tvs not capable of receiving digital signals? If so what has anyone done to replace them.

Again, thanks in advance.
wbnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

So many new things to learn and explore! So how about pointing you to a source which Winnebago puts online for folks just like us to find a bunch of those little parts?
It takes a bit of study to figure how all the controls work but this site is great for being able to look at the new RV and not even leave your chair:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Drilling down to your year make and model, I chose chassis wiring as a likely spot to find batteries and found this drawing to take a snip/picture of it.

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2013/181252.htm

On the right is a list of parts and left is a interactive drawing you can twist, turn , zoom, etc to get a good look at most any part you want.

Battery clicked on the list makes it show in yellow on the drawing and it looks like you have one on each side!

Click the picture to get a better view here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteries.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	178723  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

On your second point, there may be a tiny little switch located in a faceplate alongside a coax connection if you have the same as older RV. That switch is often hidden in some dark overhead compartment where you may see the faceplate but not note the switch and it is what turns on the amp in the antenna! Does wonders for reception if we find it and turn it on! Also you do need to do the menu items on the newer TV's and set them to scan for channels and whether you are using over the air or cable, etc.

But I do not see it but did find a splitter which may be something to look at. Make sure the coax are all connected, etc?

The yellow item is listed as the splitter. Good chance it is under a panel, etc in the cabinets?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	splitter.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	178724  
Old 05-06-2021, 10:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just FWIW: Not sure if the configuration on my older Class C is similar to your newer Class B ............ but it might be.

In addition to my maintenance logs, I made up a "cheat sheet" type booklet for the next person who owns my RV so things like the TV hook up for OTA/Cable etc are not as mystifying as they were for me (3rd owner.) The pic below is from that booklet and is fairly self explanatory. If you have one of these "injector" kind of switches for a powered antenna it may well look like mine .... they have used a gazillion of these through the years, I believe. Mine is definitely not visible from inside the coach unless you crane your neck around the TV and look at the wall behind ..... so easy to miss. BTW- That little switch that sends power to the roof antenna (and switches the feed to the TV from the OTA antenna coax to the cable coax) is itty bitty ..... about 1/8 inch in diameter and it is the same color as the baseplate ........... stealth technology, I guess.

If the switch is configured correctly and still no signal, you may have a bad antenna head (or the coax-switching portion of the switch could be bad ....but that doesn't happen much.) The Jack-brand heads I use seem to only last a couple of years.....dunno about others. The bottom of that head is completely open to the elements and it is facing the travel direction when the "crank up" mast is down for travel; not a good thing. I am going to spring for one of the new ones that are non-crank up .... like the ones that come on lots of new rigs these days. Yours may have one of these, but dunno about Class B's.

https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8500-D...s%2C203&sr=8-3

Good luck on the fix, and safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV Sw in WBGO.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	178725  
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Similar issue with 2016 Era

Don't know if the older TVs in your 2013 Era will handle digital signals or not. If so, check out my previous thread which may (or may not) be helpful.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...re-360413.html
RV-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

2016 Era 70A coach batteries location

Forgot to answer your first question. Don't know about your 2013 Era, but on our 2016 Era 70A the coach batteries (1 or 2 of them) are located beneath the chassis and behind the rear wheels. There is likely a bay for a battery on each side of the chassis.

I tried removing one of the batteries to disconnect it (while replacing the battery solenoid under the passenger seat) and quickly determined it's nearly impossible to do at home on a gravel driveway by hand. The batteries are held in place by a couple of bolts on the cage, but they weigh somewhere north of 60 pounds and there is no simple way to drop them down.

I also couldn't tell how long the battery cables were and if they were long enough to reach the ground if I was able to wrangle the battery down to the ground.

Perhaps someone else has figured out how to do it easily; if so, I'm all ears (or eyes).
Old 05-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

2016 Era 70A TV antenna switch plate

Here are a few bad cell phone pictures of the TV antenna switch that failed in our 2016 Era 170A.

Name:	winnebago.era.tv.antenna.switch.circuit.board.2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	178734

Name:	winnebago.era.tv.antenna.switch.plate.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	522.8 KB
ID:	178735

Name:	winnebago.era.tv.antenna.switch.wiring.1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	178736
Old 05-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I reread this posting and there are some new things that I might throw in. One is that your parts list shows HD tv, so the question of digital is not likely to be a problem, but it does mean it is new enough to require going into a menu and sorting out how to set it to receive over the air, cable or satellite, HDMI, etc!

So you have a couple different things to sort. One is getting the antenna switch found and turned on. For that, I'm not finding info to tell us WHERE the switch might be as there are tons of different arrangements, depending on what options your specific RV has.
This link should take you to a full group of drawings of what connections to expect but it takes looking at what you have like outside Tv and such but maybe it can help you find out how many connections, slitters, etc. to expect. First step is knowing there should be something, second is FINDING it!
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_110138.pdf

A second info item on that drawing set is the color code of the different coax, so that if and when you find one, looking at the drawing gives you colors along the coax lines to let you sort that one with a specific color like green should go to some specific point.
See the colored bands, red and blue in the picture above? Those are good info once you find the code! Blue will go to the antenna and red will go to the cable input!!

Wish you well on finding the small things that bother us the most!!
Old 11-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I've never used any of the antennas that came with my motorhome. Years ago I purchased a lifetime subscription to a program called PlayOn. This program lets me download movies and entire TV series from Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime video (really, anything that you can view on your computer or smart TV) via my home computer network onto my laptop for watching later. When I'm away from home I watch the recorded programs on my laptop or connect to a bigger screen TV with a HDMI cable. While traveling in my small motorhome I just watch programs on the computer. Then while driving I recharge the 110 volt laptop with a 12V cigarette lighter plug to 110 volt converter. No shore power or generator needed.
2012 MB ERA is offline   Reply With Quote