Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
New Winnebago owner

Need advice installing Lagun table leg in Era/Sprinter2500

I've gotten pretty tired of shifting around a small table in my 2010 Era, and the stock table with pedestal is even worse. I think the Lagun mounting system might be the answer, except that I am at a loss as to how to fasten it to the inside panel of the van. I want to put it against the driver's side wall, in front of the seat behind the driver's seat. That way, I think it will work as a typing/eating table either for that second seat, or for the driver's seat in reverse position. But how to mount it?

The inner side panel of the van has a sort of standard van-paneling, with no obvious way to remove it, and no way to tell what's behind it. I need to screw or bolt into something solid, but I just don't know what's back there. And bolting through with nuts on the backside seems out of the question.

Anyone ever tried this?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

OK, I pulled up both the 2010 ERA and the Lagun web site. I think I know what you are trying to do, but a few pics of your coach might help the people on the forum offer any suggestions.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:53 PM   #3
New Winnebago owner

Good idea. First picture is from Lagun website, showing basically what I want to do. It looks like the same kind of van, except it has a nice wood panel that probably made mounting the table a lot easier.

Second picture is my van, with the proposed location marked for the mounting bracket. I don't know what backs up that panel, or how to get it off to see. I could maybe try drilling blind and using long sheet metal screws in hopes of anchoring into something solid. But that seems iffy.

Third picture is alternate idea, which is to use the existing table pedestal, which I would need to cut down by about four inches for comfortable height. I would attach the Lagun system to the pedestal with clamps. Less elegant, but would avoid the uncertainty of drilling into the van wall.

Fourth picture is for a possible second mount, in the rear living room. I think that would be pretty straightforward, although I might have to strengthen the panel before bolting through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagun table system in van_from website.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	182585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Proposed table location front our campervan.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	182586  

Name:	Proposed alternate table location front our campervan_pedestal.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	182587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Proposed table location rear our campervan.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	182588  

Old 04-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Shot in the dark suggestin that may have little value?
Many of the trims we find in auto use are either snapped on or there may be screws to remove?
So does the grey plastic looking trim just in front of the first spot, seem like it would come offeasy enough to give a small access to pull the panel marked in red, forward to see and possibly slide a backer board in ?

I think I also see screws to hold the black trim above? Does it look likely to be able to get the trim off to look down behind?
If not room to work, would this let you check what's back there ? Then I favor mollies or toggles over screws or bolts to hold on thin material like we expect there.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 04:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for posting the pics. I guess you don't see any mounting screws on the panel in pic 1? Maybe call Winnebago customer service line? I've found them really helpful. One option is to add an additional layer to drill into? A nicely finished piece of 3/4 " cabinet grade plywood. Attach it with construction adhesive, then mount the Lagun arm to that?

I'm with you on trying to mount the Lagun arm to the existing pole. Not a good look for your nice coach.

Another option might be to use a round or oval table. Mount the original table mount underneath but place it so you can articulate the table top. That's exactly what Winnebago did with the table that fits between the captains chairs on my new Adventurer. The underside mount was placed on one end so when we rotate the table top it can be used in many positions.

I hope this helps some.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the panel that you want to mount the bracket to is not substantial enough you could make, or have made, a metal "L" shaped bracket that could bolt to the floor and the upright part could even be shaped to fit the Lagun mounting bracket, and could be drilled and tapped for mounting screws. That's how I would do it, but then I work with metal all the time and have all the tools.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #7
New Winnebago owner

I'm going to try to reply to several of your very helpful suggestions, in one go.

Re removing the plastic framing panels, I haven't looked at it closely yet, but I have done some panel removing in the past to replace stereo speakers, and the one thing I've come away with is that I always seem to break something--at the very least, one or two of those annoying retaining pins that are designed to be cheap and easy to install at the factory, but a pain to deal with later. I think, with respect to removing the gray column molding, that I might run into trouble with the seatbelt mount. But I do need to look more closely; just haven't had a chance yet. I strongly suspect that there are metal bracing members behind that side paneling, but finding them could be the trick.

My present plan is to start by clamping the Lagun upright leg to the existing pillar, which I have cut down by about 4 inches. This will let me experiment with different table mounting options, and I like the idea of a smaller tabletop, perhaps oval in shape. This would let me try things out without drilling holes or taking things apart that I might later regret. And who knows, maybe I'll like it.

If I like the principle, but not the location of the support, then I will move on to trying a side mount. I appreciate the idea of attaching a metal support to the floor, but I don't have the tools, plus I don't think it would be quite as clean and out of the way when not in use as mounting to the side panel.

Anyway, I'm awaiting delivery of the Lagun unit, and I'll update everyone when I've had a chance to try some things.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the update Star. I totally agree with your comments about the cheap, plastic clips.
Please keep us posted on your progress!
Old 06-04-2022, 02:17 PM   #9
New Winnebago owner

Sorry for taking so long to update this. I have a system now that seems to work well (though I have yet to test it on the road). I am using the Lagun mount attached to the original table pillar, cut down by about 6 inches. I decided that was better than trying to attach to the side of the cabin, because this arrangement lets me use the table from any of the four seats, or shared between two seats.

In the rear, I bought a second Lagun upright leg and attached it to the wooden box that contains all the electrical stuff. It provides easy use of the table from the back seat, easy to rotate out of the way. Here are pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Table lagun on pedestal front between driver and seat 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	183082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table lagun on pedestal front between passenger and seat 4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	183083  

Name:	Table lagun on pedestal front between front seats.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	183084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table w Lagun mount back of Era.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	183085  

Old 06-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #10
New Winnebago owner

One more pic.
BTW, for the table itself, it's something old I found in my basement, which I sanded and refinished. Looks and works way better than the original. The rear shots were taken before I polyurethaned it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Table w Lagun mount back of Era_rotated away.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	183086  

Tags
advice, install