Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Mods to 2016 Sprinter Era 70X and A

We have a new Era 70x and here are a few mods that may be of interest.
The wheel wells have quite a bit of empty space that can be used for infrequently used items like tools or extra hoses. We also applied sound proofing to the bare metal wheel wells in those spaces.
There is another empty space above the rear doors that can be removed and hinges can be put on to use that space. It's about 4ft by 6-10 inches. Great for hoses, power cords and I store my metal detector there.
Another mod is to the shower curtain. The original space is about 20 inches wide and it can be increased by about 6-8 inches by placing a half inch plastic pipe on the handles of the outside door and purchasing a longer curtain.
Pics are available. Cost is only a few dollars and we would be happy to share details. Also we have solved many rattles that might be of interest to new Era owners. Anyone else modified an Era?
Claydeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hello,
I just got a 2016 Era 70X. Would love to see some pics of your mods & rattle fixes. We have not really come up with much, still learning our Era.

I put my hose under the couch/bed. From the rear access to the heater by-pass switch. Take off the cover and stuff the hose inside. Sits on a metal panel, does not interfere with bed.
Thanks, cowboy70
cowboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, if you are on face book, search and join Winnebago Era Group. The pics are posted there. Three main ones are storage in the wheel wells, shower was made bigger and there is more storage above the rear doors by putting hinges on the back panel just below the back up camera.
We fixed lots of rattles. Major one was the glass in the micro. The curtain above the stove is metal so we wrapped it. Dealer found the shower rattle by tightening up screws. Everything in the drawers/cupboards needs to be padded.
Email me direct at [email protected] with questions.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydeg View Post
Hi, if you are on face book, search and join Winnebago Era Group. The pics are posted there. Three main ones are storage in the wheel wells, shower was made bigger and there is more storage above the rear doors by putting hinges on the back panel just below the back up camera.
We fixed lots of rattles. Major one was the glass in the micro. The curtain above the stove is metal so we wrapped it. Dealer found the shower rattle by tightening up screws. Everything in the drawers/cupboards needs to be padded.
Email me direct at [email protected] with questions.
Appreciate your check list to minimize rattles. I have a '17 ERA X and experiencing the same thing. Can you elaborate on wrapping the curtain above the stove? Thanks. Not a Face Book user but would like to see pictures from the mods you made.
mrfuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

You probably noticed that the curtain behind the stove/sink is metal. Our rattled pretty good until we pulled it up at tight as possible, then stuffed a towel around it until it was tight. Also the rod can be shorter so it doesn't bang or tuck it behind the Tv.
We put a 1/2 inch plastic pipe(pex) across the shower door handles on othe folded doors. Then purchased a longer curtain and tuck it behind those handles. That gives you 8 inches wider in the shower.
Their are two wheel well plywood covers that you can remove under the cushions on the 2016 and older 70x. Tie back the wires and there is quite a bit of space for storage.
Another area is just below the back up camera. Remove that panel and hinge it for storing hoses, cords and other seldom used items.
Email me for pics. [email protected]
Old 09-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Claydeg! Got the picture in my head now.
mrfuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfuni View Post
Appreciate your check list to minimize rattles. I have a '17 ERA X and experiencing the same thing. Can you elaborate on wrapping the curtain above the stove? Thanks. Not a Face Book user but would like to see pictures from the mods you made.
We had a 2013 ERA 70A. The micro wave rattled. Taking the rotating glass turntable had no effect. I finally pulled the microwave out and discovered there is a metal "tunnel" that runs across the top to move air. It was loosely installed.
A few shims and screws fix it. I also discovered nearly every felt pad intended to stop cubard doors from rattling were not installed in the right place so I moved most and added a few.

We also had a resonance vibration in the sliding side door under certain road conditions (think tar strips). I took the door panel off and covered every place metal and panel could touch with weather stripping and also glued a wood strip to the inside of the interior panel to stop the vibration.

I also tightened every hinge and door handle snug but not over tight. Many were not snug. I always carry a 3ft vinyl hose to detect unwanted sounds when traveling. As DW drives, I put one end of the hose to my ear and move the other end to the suspected noise area. It is an old mechanics trick and will help you quickly pinpoint the noise source.