RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 27
LED Conversion 1995 Minnie Winnie

I thought I'd start small with the LED conversion in our new (to us) '95 Minnie Winnie. To start with I purchased two LED's to replace the two incandescent bulbs in the wall fixture next to the sink. The incandescent bulbs worked when I removed them, the LED's did not when I installed them. I removed the LED's, reinstalled the incandescent bulbs, and had to wriggle them around to get them to work after putting them back in the fixture. I reinstalled the LED's, pushed them into the base without success, but noted when I removed them that the base/metal area was warm to the touch. I'm assuming (here I go) that the socket is the primary suspect and is either corroded or the contact spring is weaker than necessary. I have very serious doubts that two LED bulbs new out of the package would both be defective. I'm not opposed to replacing the fixture if that's the best long-term fix.

Any input is, as always, greatly appreciated!
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper
 
slapfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 30
An experience I had when switching to LEDs is that all went fine with ceiling lights but the same thing you experienced happened to me when putting an LED in the wall lamp. I have no idea why, but decided not make the change in those fixtures.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 361
A long shot but I've heard it happen before...

LEDs are polarity-sensitive. It's possible that whoever installed your lamp has reversed the wiring, which wouldn't bother the incandescent but the LED won't like. Test the socket to make sure they wired the lamp correctly.
__________________
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
FIRE UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob55 View Post
I thought I'd start small with the LED conversion in our new (to us) '95 Minnie Winnie. To start with I purchased two LED's to replace the two incandescent bulbs in the wall fixture next to the sink. The incandescent bulbs worked when I removed them, the LED's did not when I installed them. I removed the LED's, reinstalled the incandescent bulbs, and had to wriggle them around to get them to work after putting them back in the fixture. I reinstalled the LED's, pushed them into the base without success, but noted when I removed them that the base/metal area was warm to the touch. I'm assuming (here I go) that the socket is the primary suspect and is either corroded or the contact spring is weaker than necessary. I have very serious doubts that two LED bulbs new out of the package would both be defective. I'm not opposed to replacing the fixture if that's the best long-term fix.

Any input is, as always, greatly appreciated!
Bob55,
The changeover to LEDs always sparks some static among many. Some do it, some don't, some purchase them locally and some, get them straight from China. I've changed about 99% of the lights inside the coach and, all of the compartment lights on the outside and, the two porch lights. I'm not real proud of how much I've got "invested" in LEDs but, I sure like the fact that they're considerably cooler running and, also considerably less "juice" consuming. I've purchased all of mine from www.superbrightleds.com and, while maybe a tad more expensive than other suppliers, I've never had a bad one and, the company is a shear pleasure to deal with.

As for your problem with yours, it is possible that the polarity is reversed. Sometimes, as stated, they can be inserted with the wrong polarity. I would have assumed you maybe turned them around to see it that might be the case. But, in any case, I'd maybe check for a good ground and, a good contact in the positive side maybe with the use of a VOM or, even a test light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
A long shot but I've heard it happen before...

LEDs are polarity-sensitive. It's possible that whoever installed your lamp has reversed the wiring, which wouldn't bother the incandescent but the LED won't like. Test the socket to make sure they wired the lamp correctly.
emiddleb,
You are correct Sir. But, some, I've found, don't care. I've experimented with a few and turned them around in the socket and, they've lit up both times.

Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
emiddleb,
You are correct Sir. But, some, I've found, don't care. I've experimented with a few and turned them around in the socket and, they've lit up both times.

Scott

Scott, I'll meet you halfway . LEDs themselves do care about polarity. Feed them one way, current flows across the p-n junction and you get light. Feed them reversed, no light.

However, and here I agree with you, a better-designed circuit package (spelled "more-expensive" lights like those you recommended and I have used too) can be engineered to handle it. Cheap overseas LEDs? Maybe, but probably not designed that way.

Amusingly, you can wire an LED to work on AC current, but then you only get light on half of the AC cycle based on the frequency of the AC current. A very fast flicker on/off.

The OP didn't mention the type of bulb. I was thinking of a single-contact bulb like a 1141 or 1156 where the wiring of the light fixture to the RV power was reversed.
__________________
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 27
I should have mentioned the bulbs were double post type, # 1076. After putting the incandescent bulbs back in, one of the sockets is pretty much inoperable unless I want to hold the bulb at an angle and push down. Sounds to me like it's time to replace the fixture?
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
FIRE UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Scott, I'll meet you halfway . LEDs themselves do care about polarity. Feed them one way, current flows across the p-n junction and you get light. Feed them reversed, no light.

However, and here I agree with you, a better-designed circuit package (spelled "more-expensive" lights like those you recommended and I have used too) can be engineered to handle it. Cheap overseas LEDs? Maybe, but probably not designed that way.

Amusingly, you can wire an LED to work on AC current, but then you only get light on half of the AC cycle based on the frequency of the AC current. A very fast flicker on/off.

The OP didn't mention the type of bulb. I was thinking of a single-contact bulb like a 1141 or 1156 where the wiring of the light fixture to the RV power was reversed.

Ed,
Yes, you are correct on the polarity requirements for LEDs. I should have clarified my statement. I know "some" about LEDs but, not a ton. I've learned as I went on the subject. Below are a couple of pics of a project I did on my motorcycle (GL 1800 Goldwing) where I installed "LED" turn arrows, behind the glass, in my mirrors. Now, to the OP, while this section is not directly related to your subject, LEDs in general are always fun, sometimes expensive, to goof around with.

The entire project of the installation of the "arrows", cost me about $10.00.












Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob55 View Post
I should have mentioned the bulbs were double post type, # 1076. After putting the incandescent bulbs back in, one of the sockets is pretty much inoperable unless I want to hold the bulb at an angle and push down. Sounds to me like it's time to replace the fixture?
Bob55,
Yep, I've had a few of those "troublesome" fixtures/sockets myself. I usually end up "McGuyvering" them in one way or another to make them work. You do what you gotta do. This little project I did could be applied to things on motor homes too. Things like indicator lights in the dash representing items you'd like to know if are working or not, on or not, etc.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 361
NICE job on the Goldwing. Did you have to remove the silvering on the mirror back or do the LEDs shine through it?
__________________
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
FIRE UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
NICE job on the Goldwing. Did you have to remove the silvering on the mirror back or do the LEDs shine through it?
Ed,
Nope, the LEDs shine right through the silvering mirror back. The trick was to be VERY careful when drilling the black plastic mirror back. I didn't want to drill too far and hit the back side of the mirror itself. But, there's two legs of LEDs on each mirror. One leg has three LEDs and the other, had four. There's tiny resistor of different values for each leg.

Again, this info is not meant to deviate from the OPs issue. It's just something I did and, maybe he or, anyone reading who's a bit industrious, might want something like this project, installed on or in the dash of the coach or, any other place they might want it. Fun and cheap.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob55 View Post
I should have mentioned the bulbs were double post type, # 1076. After putting the incandescent bulbs back in, one of the sockets is pretty much inoperable unless I want to hold the bulb at an angle and push down. Sounds to me like it's time to replace the fixture?
Bob, so the 1076s are exactly what I was thinking of with the polarity issue. Once you have decided what to do on the fixture, if the LED bulb doesn't light try rotating it 180 and insert again. The two posts on the bottom are the hot and ground and with the LEDs you'll find one way they work, one way they probably won't.

This supplier even mentions it on his page, about 1/2 way down.

LED Warm White 1076 Bulb 205 Lumens
__________________
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 27
Tried again, rotated the LEDs 180 degrees with no change. Initially I made sure that the incandescent bulbs were both working, and changed out one to the LED bulb. At that point neither bulb lit. I rotated the LED 180 degrees with the same issue. Reinstalled the other incandescent, had to "adjust" the bulbs to light, used the other socket for an LED bulb, same deal. I'm guessing it's a socket/fixture issue and plan on replacing it soon..... Not a bad deal, the better half doesn't like the look of the existing fixture anyway!
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1995 Minnie Winnie Grey/Black Tank Question Bob55 Winnebago Class B Motorhomes 6 08-17-2014 07:34 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×