Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
2022 Travato 59KL

Help with Volta Charging

My Volta seems to charge very slowly if at all. I have had it plugged to shore power now for 6 hours and the needle has barely moved. Yesterday I drove for 3 hours keeping RPMs high with no noticeable charge. It seems charged from the engine while parked (auto start) does work but never more than 20%.

Probably operator error. Is there a fuse somewhere that could be blown?

Thanks,

Keith

PS All I know about electricity. . . Little magic things carry the electricity but if they touch the ground they get very excited and upset.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
2022 Travato 59KL

Just charges slow. I have the extra power pack from Volta and I guess that is a lot of amp hours to fill up.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
2022 Travato 59KL

No joy

Does not charge while traveling or plugged in. Plugged in nothing works. I think the volta power switch replaced the battery switch by the fire extinguisher. All the 12v fuses are good. All the 110 breakers are on.

Unless there is a fuse or switch I don't know about service appointment coming up.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It seems there are few who want to start on this and I might see an explanation for why that might be true.
Starting with the first sentence of your first post? What is the "Volta" you are asking about? Are you meaning the Travato RV you list?

Since I did not understand what RV or part you are talking about, I skipped over the question. Most of us will not have seen a 2022 model RV and will not have any idea of where things are located or even if you have the same things other RV have, so a first step has to be to tell us what you are speaking about in a way we can understand.

What does this mean?
Quote:
I think the volta power switch replaced the battery switch by the fire extinguisher.

You see the problem is that most of us have no idea where the fire extinguisher is, so this is no help on letting anybody help you. I have no idea what a volta power switch might do, so it leaves most of us totally cold on trying to help. What is a volta power switch?
But if I were starting on finding a problem with charging when plugged in, I would first check to see that the AC power is getting into the RV by checking the voltage at the load center main breaker!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
2022 Travato 59KL

I appreciate your concern but I did post this in the Class B part of the forum which narrows it down to just a few Winnebago's. Further my signature narrows it to a Travato and also to a 59KL. I wouldn't expect anyone who does not have a Travato to understand nor would I ever attempt to answer a question or solve a problem for someone who owns a Class C or Class A.

The divisions in the forum are there so people can "skip" over posts they know nothing about.

Safe travels,
Keith
Old 06-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I see! No problem for me to skip over!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Volta won’t turn on.

If you let the battery voltage go too low it will require you you turn the mechanical switch on the unit itself to get it to reset and start again and do it’s job. You should be able to get where it is on your MH from the paperwork that came with it. Or Google it and you’ll be off and running!
Hope this helps.
Kiparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
2022 Travato 59KL

The answer. It seems there are problems with a Volta wiring harness under the passenger side bed. Symptoms: Charges plugged in but not while driving and little if no charge using the auto-start. Solution: The Volta website has a contact form for support. I used that and a exchange cable was on its way the same day. Supposed to be an easy fix even for the not so handy.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
The answer. It seems there are problems with a Volta wiring harness under the passenger side bed. Symptoms: Charges plugged in but not while driving and little if no charge using the auto-start. Solution: The Volta website has a contact form for support. I used that and a exchange cable was on its way the same day. Supposed to be an easy fix even for the not so handy.
I hope that works out for you Keith. That passenger side bed is a tad heavy and awkward to move. I had to take one of mine apart to release the steel cable that attaches to the wall and the fridge. I had to remove the fridge to replace the control module. There’s quite a bit of stuff under that bed.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
2022 Travato 59KL

I know those beds were sooo heavy but the new beds are so light compared to the old ones. Instead of the flex system they have slates and an aluminum frame.

I got rid of that cable the first time I pulled the fridge. I think I pulled it at least 8 times! But that is on the driver side? This is the passenger side with all the Volta covered up.Click image for larger version

Name:	passbed.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	179666
Old 07-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Hi. This thread is funny. 'It just charges slow'. No, that's not the answer. I have (3) vans that I rent out so I know a little bit about the Travato's

Just took delivery of my new 59GL. Same issue. Will not charge while driving. Zero help from General RV. Expected that. Called Volta directly. It is a known issue in a wire harness which is accessible if you know what you're doing. There is a PCB wired directly into the harness that is faulty. For the 59GL the harness is under the bed. Remove the bed frame, pick up the trap door (probably there for this issue as well as others) and replace the harness. On the KL it is under the passenger bed.

Call Volta. 616-226-4222 and press 1 for tech support. Rattle off your VIN and they will know if you have the faulty harness. I had a new harness the next day and repaired in one hour.

Hope you got yours fixed KMessinger.

Hope this helps.
Paul2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging