Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Era on steep grades

Hello, everyone.

I have a 2013 Winnebago Era 170a on a Mercedes Benz chassis and I have a question about driving on steep grades.

I am interested in camping at the Amicalola Falls St Pk in northern Georgia. The road to the park has grades of 25 percent. I know that my engine automatically shifts down, and I have driven it in mountains in New Mexico & Arizona, but the grades were not that steep. Has anyone been to this park in Georgia in a Class B Sprinter van? Did you have any problems? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I travel by myself, so there is no one to share the fear with!

Camper Fan
Camper Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Might want to double check that grade info. I think of steep as being 6-8% when in real mountains in the West. I did a quick look at the state park website and saw no mention of that sort of grade.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Fire apparatus could never get in there to fight a fire if there was a 25 % grade. The worst grade that allows access for fire fighting is 10 %.

That said you will have to gear down and travel back down at a slow rate of speed where the engine can limit your speed so you don't burn up your brakes.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Suspect that might be 2. 5 %?
Some info I cut and copied from the net:
An interstate is out of standard if it has a grade > 7%.
The National Road (built in 1806) had a maximum grade of 8.75%.
Local roads are much higher (12% or 15% are sometimes allowed)
Otter Tail MN County roads 6%, alleys 8%
Driveways can be as much as 30% for a short distance
Old 02-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You will not have a problem. The MB Diesel engine is nothing but torque!
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This is from the web page: https://www.amicalolafallslodge.com/...ons/campsites/

Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge has one of the most unique RV campgrounds in GA. Each “pull in” or “back in” site offers power, water, picnic table, grill and fire ring. RV campers should note the road to access the campground is at a 25% grade and may not be suited to the largest RV Camper models. We recommend coming prepared to use a low gear for hauling, while still meeting the park speed limit of 15 mph. Know your vehicle’s towing capacity and state of repair before attempting the climb.
LadyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Fan View Post
Hello, everyone.

I have a 2013 Winnebago Era 170a on a Mercedes Benz chassis and I have a question about driving on steep grades.

I am interested in camping at the Amicalola Falls St Pk in northern Georgia. The road to the park has grades of 25 percent. I know that my engine automatically shifts down, and I have driven it in mountains in New Mexico & Arizona, but the grades were not that steep. Has anyone been to this park in Georgia in a Class B Sprinter van? Did you have any problems? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I travel by myself, so there is no one to share the fear with!

Camper Fan
Rule of thumb don't go down any faster than you came up, same gear up same gear down!
millerDE45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who responded. Yes, LadyDog, that was the same info I found mentioning the 25% grade, when I first started looking at that park.
I can't shift down, as I have only P, R, N, and D, but I will depend on the Sprinter engine to do its job. Thanks, T00lman, for the encouraging post.
CamperFan
Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

On looking further at the RV park app I use, I see a number of reviews which mention as long as 40 foot and no mention of hills, so you should be good whether the grade is that steep or not! Possible the person writing the state info is not familiar with how grades are figured?
We live in an era where bad info is much easier to get than good info.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
Site Team

Maybe they put in 25% when they meant on a 25 degree angle to level?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Sounds like whatever the grade of the road it's just one of the park roads with a 15 mph limit. It doesn't say how long that stretch is, but I would think your diesel could handle that just fine going up and your brakes going down. If you have tow/haul mode that might help going down.

If you're concerned you could empty all your tanks beforehand to reduce weight somewhat.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I've not looked at many reviews but I would expect at least one for a real 25 % grade, so I fall back to thinking it is not really a true problem more likely info that is somehow skewed by some factor. Perhaps as simple as the girl at the desk getting a fresh complaint about the "steep" hill while writing up the park info?
We occasionally find the folks at the front desk have never actually used an RV, so what seems scary to them may just be routine for the normal user.
Maybe we can get a report back from the OP after their visit. Maybe it really is scary and we should all know?
Old 02-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Era Steep grade

Well, I am hoping to make this trip in May, so I will definitely report back about my experience. Possibly someone else who has already visited that park will also give a report.
Camper Fan
Old 10-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I'm wondering if you had made this trip or did the pandemic put it on hold?
Old 10-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Era Steep grade

LadyDog, you guessed it. Fortunately, my reservation deposit was refunded in full, so I am hoping to try again next May.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Why cant you down shift a Sprinter ----don't you just need to move the shift handle left or right to up shift or down shift.
JimMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Fan View Post
Hello, everyone.

Camper Fan

Hi Camper Fan
I was wondering if you were able to make this trip this year? If so was it a 25% grade?
Old 11-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #18
Site Team

I couldn't believe it was 25% but it seems that it is in the middle for about one mile:

Old 01-11-2022, 06:00 AM   #19
2009 ERA

I thought all sprinters have a -D+ on the shifter. (-) to downshift, (+) to upshift.

Been hiking the start of Appalachian trail pre COVID driving my 2001 Suburban to Amicalola falls. I'm certain my 2009 ERa 2wd 2500 can handle it. Just downshift.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:22 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

The Mercedes manual says to top off the engine oil to the high mark when taking steep grades. Then it says to drain it off.
dashriprock1 is offline   Reply With Quote