Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2022, 10:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

ERA 2014 no power in coach with batteries

We lost 12 volt in the coach using the batteries. However if running the generator all the 12 volt in the coach works perfect. Also if plugged in to outside electricity. Please let me know what are your suggestions
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We get very limited info on the wiring for RV after 2010, so this would be a bit of guessing but my thoughts would be that the wiring to the batteries is not good.

Think of them as being a place to store the energy which the power cord and generator supply to some form of converter. The converter turns the AC from those two into 12VDC used by the lights, etc. as well as storing the excess in the batteries.
So if something simple like the ground /negative battery cable is loose or corroded, I might see a situation where the 12VDC is made and available but not being stored or accessed from the battteries.

No wiring info online to check this, so a simple guess but maybe a place to start?
With a meter,first check the battery voltages to see if there is power there. Check the negative cables have good solid ground on them, then start the engine or generator and see if the voltage jumps up to indicate good contact there.

If nothing found at that point, there will be a solenoid and battery disconnect in a forward spot, I believe possibly under the passenger seat, where you can do more checking that the battery power is getting to the solenoid as well as the battery disconnect. There should be a round metal "can" looking solenoid with chassis battery cable on one side and coach battery on the other side. Both should have 12 VDC at all times and then be connected together when the engine alternator is providing power, so both voltages should jump up as the engine is revved a bit.

I believe your situation may be due to working when engine is working but that solenoid may be fooling us and you are seeing the engine alternator, rather than the coach battery voltage.

Best idea I have with limited info we have online.
When trying to sort which cable goes where, this chart may be helpfull as it should match tape at the cable ends for ID.

EDIT:
Extra point to check, we can assume the batteries have been getting water to avoid killing them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f battery cable code.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	183778  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you very very much it worked 100%
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags