Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical system recommendations

We just purchased a 2012 ERA 170X and took it on our first road this past weekend. From what I can tell it is all stock, minus they took one of the captains chairs out of the second row, and put in additional countertop and storage space.

I can tell most of our enjoyment will come, while we're going down the road. I have two boys ages 9 & 11 and they love kicking back watching TV, playing video games, eating...etc.etc.etc. The freedom to go where we want at the pace we want is fantastic.

So to my question, I'll looking for some upgrade suggestions for our electrical/entertainment system. At this point, we're looking in a satellite TV system. We tried using an Apple TV, but the outlets don't work when running off house batteries, so it was a bust. What satellite systems do other recommend?

This unit comes with a 2500 watt generator, but is there value in looking at solar panels as well?

Thank you for any recommendations...
starks1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You can run the generator while driving, therefore the outlets work, (unless the TV is interlocked in motion if the driver can see it while driving).

You can add an inverter to run things off the battery/engine alternator while in motion.

You can upgrade the batteries in several ways. Or add solar (not a lot of use while the engine or generator is running).

You can get a Winegard Roadtrip T4 In-Motion satellite antenna and a Dish Wally and account so the kids can watch regular TV while you drive.

You could add a cellular router and external antenna so they can surf on their phones or tablets..

Or, you could turn all the electronics off and make them look out the window at the scenery...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advise. Looking forward to all the adventures.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by starks1401 View Post
We just purchased a 2012 ERA 170X and took it on our first road this past weekend. From what I can tell it is all stock, minus they took one of the captains chairs out of the second row, and put in additional countertop and storage space.

I can tell most of our enjoyment will come, while we're going down the road. I have two boys ages 9 & 11 and they love kicking back watching TV, playing video games, eating...etc.etc.etc. The freedom to go where we want at the pace we want is fantastic.

So to my question, I'll looking for some upgrade suggestions for our electrical/entertainment system. At this point, we're looking in a satellite TV system. We tried using an Apple TV, but the outlets don't work when running off house batteries, so it was a bust. What satellite systems do other recommend?

This unit comes with a 2500 watt generator, but is there value in looking at solar panels as well?

Thank you for any recommendations...
Just get a three way plug adapter like you use in your home to add additional plugs to say a kitchen outlet. Use that plugged into the inverter socket that your tv plugs into. That can easily power an Apple TV. (But don’t you also need internet for that?)
Or, run your generator while you’re driving. It should be run for two hours every 30 days anyway...
Old 05-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info...we have a hotspot so we have access to the internet while on the road.

Tags
electrical