Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 06:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Disappointed : ( Travato Radio Went Black

We picked up our 2022 Travato KL+ yesterday at La Mesa RV in NM. All started out well at the dealer as they ran us through the operation etc. All was working and seemed buttoned up and ready. Then when we went to start up again and pull out of the lot and the entire radio system was dead. Nothing. Black. We thought perhaps we were just missing something and there was an on switch somewhere. The mileage indicator "47miles" was flashing (which I'm told means theirs a CAN failure). ANYONE experience this? The tech tried to fix, thinking it was a fuse but no luck. He thinks it's something with the harness between the dodge and the Pioneer head unit. He showed me the unit pulled and we didn't see anything of issue. Its so ODD that it was just working 100% then not. The only thing I did was attempt to adjust the height of the steering wheel before leaving the lot. Could that have pulled something on a harness below??? I would love any insights to help fix this. I'm pretty handy if I know where to look. I'm told for the flashing mileage I need to go to Dodge. For the radio its a Winnebago problem. We were hoping to travel in a few weeks with our new Travato, but I'm very concerned and somewhat disappointed such an investment comes with such problems right out off the lot. Grateful for any insights.
Cre8vTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I think I would have left it on the lot to be fixed before leaving. It’s harder to get their attention once you drive away.
Can’t help with troubleshooting your issue, as there are way too many variables, but the wiring harness would be where is look first, if all the fuses are ok.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Problem found and solved... I think

Leaving it on the lot would have been expensive as we flew in to pick it up. I was indeed a little disappointed that they didn't have a fix. However, after reading a number of posts about the flashing MILES indicator on the dash being a CAN interface issue, I decided to do what the dodge dealers were saying.... "Disconnect the chassis battery negative for about 5 mins and then reboot." SURE ENOUGH. Upon reconnecting all went back to normal. We have systems running now. I'll report back if this continues as I've also read where the CAN interface the 3rd party supplies for the radio upgrade has caused issues. I'm just glad to know I think I found a simple fix vers months of dealing with the dealers at Dodge or Winnebago.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Way to go Cre8vTV - you're a natural as an RV owner.

Enjoy.

I bought my RV at Le Mesa ABQ 4 years ago. They were so nice to me until I brought it back 3-times in the next 24-hours.

Six month's later we were going to be passing through ABQ so I called them a month ahead of time and couldn't get an appointment for any sooner than 3-months out.

Plus, my salesman had quit (or other) and we were treated like total strangers... unwashed ones at that, the way they dealt with us.

When we bought ours they told us they had bought land out back and were going to build a huge new service facility there. But that turned out to be a pipe dream.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Thank you! I trust we'll end up loving our Travato once I get it tweaked in. Just a few more items. I hoped my experience with La Mesa was a fluke... sounds like many RV dealers are overwhelmed. I'm just glad we got home safe and all worked out.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to Winnebago and radios issues. We’ve replaced the coach Jensen radio in our 2019 View, and had lots of problems with the chassis Infotainment system. The Rand McNally navigation sucks. I just use Google maps on my phone. At least you’re under warranty and they have to fix it.
AZ Okies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

La Mesa service is non-existent if you don’t buy your Rv from them. They are hurting the Winnebago brand. You can’t get service. I reached out to the president of Winnebago and they set me up with a local provider to cover warranty work. La Mesa is the worst and most expensive.
Sixjs1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio