Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation Carefree Awning

On our last camping trip(November) we were closing our awning for the day and as it was retracting and almost in the closed position something broke and the awning came sliding back out with full force until it reached its full extension of 13 feet. Little did I know at this time the gear motor had broke! The RV is less than a year old and I’ve used the awning maybe 3 times prior.
So I tried to retract electrical and manually with no luck because with the gear motor broke all the roller would do was spin. So we find ourselves in a pickle as we are due to leave in the morning and we can’t drive it in this condition. Fortunately located a great RV mobile mechanic on the gulf coast between the two of us were able to take out the broken motor, remove the canvas retract the arms and zip tie it up so we could travel home.
Winnebago is going to replace the awning as it was still under warranty. Owners of this style awning be aware because when I arrived home there was a recall letter for this awning in my mailbox stating” Be aware this awning can open up while motoring down road. A safety switch has to be installed to protect from premature opening”
If you have this type of awning I would recommend ad Velcro straps to keep in place until ready to use.
I’m still waiting on my replacement. Be aware the plastic zip ties used snapped open yesterday and the awning crashed down again. I expect the got too brittle in the cold. I dismantled the awning so this would not happen again until I get my replacement.
Trav59k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning