Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Boldt

Hello all,

New here and wanted to discuss the Boldt. I am very impressed with its features, especially the lithium ion pack. The layout is "ok". I would have preferred a Revel style rear bed that can be raised up for storage. Not all that keen on sleeping next to my bike in the aisleway. But not a deal breaker. I may install a raised bed so as to have underbid storage for large items like a bike.

The price is crazy. $215K for 4x4 with options. But it the price on the revel is any indication of the actual sales prices, I think they would be in the mid $140's?. Even for that kind of money, I could get a custom Sprinter done to my specifications. However, I wouldn't have the Winnebago support network. So, I think that at anything lower than $150K, I might stick with Winnebago.

I have looked around online quite a bit, but I can't find how much solar it has installed. Has anyone seen specs on this?

I will probably wait to see the specs on the 2020 Transit. I would much rather have a Ford with the eco boost than a MB with the diesel. But not a fan of the huge overhang on the longer Fords.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else interested in the Boldt? Are you going to order one?
CappyJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It just says 3 solar panels installed - maybe 100 watts each?
I would look at the new CoachHouse Platinum III on the Ford chassis, diesel. That is a nice class B+ rig, brand new this year. They did a good job from the video, really want to get a touch and feel on that Platinum III. It is not 4x4 however so that takes it out of your requirement.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I looked at them extensively. Even talked to a sales rep. The problem is they have a very low payload capacity, and a poor tow rating. Plus, they do not offer any battery options. That is actually huge for me. I want to be able to leave my dogs in the air conditioning and not have to run a generator. Also, 4x4 is pretty important to me as well. I don't want to have to throw chains on just to go skiing.

But, I do think they have some of the best built coaches around.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The air conditioning thing at Lichtsinn video says the 58 volt under hood alternator/generator will autostart and run the Sprinter diesel at high idle for recharge as needed. I'll wait for someone else to test that on the new diesel. My DP A class had an automatic engine shutoff after high idle for 8 or 10 minutes. I suppose they might have worked all that out with the DPF to protect it but we will see. Your other choice is a take along generator since the Boldt has none. We are watching all the new B rigs as well. This one has a lot of good features that need to be proven.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The battery should be able to run the AC for over 12 hours. It is too bad they chose a power hungry inefficient air conditioner. Otherwise, they could have doubled that with a better air conditioner.

Idling the engine is not a good idea because of the particulate filter. It won't get hot enough to burn off the carbon, so it will get plugged. Unless they added some electric heater propane injection to burn it off. I wish someone would come up with a propane injection system for the Sprinter that could be used only at idle. That would seriously clean up the exhaust significantly. There has even been talk about manufacturers adopting HHO to reduce the soot in the exhaust and make the combustion process more efficient.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyJax View Post
The battery should be able to run the AC for over 12 hours. It is too bad they chose a power hungry inefficient air conditioner. Otherwise, they could have doubled that with a better air conditioner.

I did not see the rating on the A/C. The Pure3 is rated at 11,600 watt hours so if the A/C is 10KW (10,000 watts/hour) that is one hour - unless I missed something.
Well, the A/C will be on and off and it depends on the duty cycle or ambient outside temps. If it runs 50% duty cycle that is two hours on the battery.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
I did not see the rating on the A/C. The Pure3 is rated at 11,600 watt hours so if the A/C is 10KW (10,000 watts/hour) that is one hour - unless I missed something.
I looked it up. The AC uses between 1,560 and 2,025 watts. Duty cycle isn't 100%. Usually around 50%, so that means it will use between 750 and 1,000 watts per hour.

The inverter is 3,600 watts which is the same as a 30 amp shore plug. No way it could run 10kW.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
Site Team

It looks cool but the pricing YIKES! Our best friends went to Sportmobile and had a completely custom 4x4 Sprinter built to their design requests. It cost about $140k. It's all electric with no propane at all, just the extra alternator for a generator, a 12v compressor fridge, induction cooktop and diesel water heater/cabin heater.

They did not go with Lithium and have only 200w of AGM batteries. They have one 100w solar panel, too.

Once a year they take it back to Sportmobile in Austin and have small things fixed and changed. It is extremely well built.

After 2 years and a whopping 55,000 miles (Alaska, Canadian Maritimes, etc) it's been a perfect camping companion.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It looks cool but the pricing YIKES! Our best friends went to Sportmobile and had a completely custom 4x4 Sprinter built to their design requests. It cost about $140k. It's all electric with no propane at all, just the extra alternator for a generator, a 12v compressor fridge, induction cooktop and diesel water heater/cabin heater.

They did not go with Lithium and have only 200w of AGM batteries. They have one 100w solar panel, too.

Once a year they take it back to Sportmobile in Austin and have small things fixed and changed. It is extremely well built.

After 2 years and a whopping 55,000 miles (Alaska, Canadian Maritimes, etc) it's been a perfect camping companion.
I really wanted to nix the propane, but then I heard from a lot of skiers with RVs that the diesel heaters gave them tons of problems at high altitude and in the cold. The propane is just massively reliable. Plus, it the WATT Imperium becomes available to purchase, then it will provide a really long boon docking times in winter.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyJax View Post
I looked it up. The AC uses between 1,560 and 2,025 watts. Duty cycle isn't 100%. Usually around 50%, so that means it will use between 750 and 1,000 watts per hour.

The inverter is 3,600 watts which is the same as a 30 amp shore plug. No way it could run 10kW.

I sincerely apologize, massive weather change here and I think my sinuses being clogged also clogged my brain. I was thinking 13.5KBTU which, yeah, sure as heck is NOT the same as WATTS. Gotta chuckle at myself now but that's how it goes sometimes. Good to go on the A/C and my brain is getting better now. Anyway I agree, the price is real sticker shock but it does make me drool a bit. At my age I can live without 4x4 though. Smiles as I remember running my roof A/C in the old View for a half day on the Honda 2000 watt. It didn't really want to start up but then it ran fine.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
I sincerely apologize, massive weather change here and I think my sinuses being clogged also clogged my brain. I was thinking 13.5KBTU which, yeah, sure as heck is NOT the same as WATTS. Gotta chuckle at myself now but that's how it goes sometimes. Good to go on the A/C and my brain is getting better now. Anyway I agree, the price is real sticker shock but it does make me drool a bit. At my age I can live without 4x4 though. Smiles as I remember running my roof A/C in the old View for a half day on the Honda 2000 watt. It didn't really want to start up but then it ran fine.

13,500BTUs is equal to 4,000 watts. However, you gain a thermodynamic advantage with air conditioners and heat pumps because you are using the energy of the outside air rather that 100% from the electrical energy.

Generators usually have to be much larger than what the AC needs to run because of the startup amperage required to get the motor moving. The one in the Boldt need 61 amps which is over 7,000 watts. There are devices to help reduce this amperage, but with an inverter, most have much higher short term ratings than continuous. I have seen as much as 4 times as much as the continuous rating. Usually double is standard.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I know, that's what the start capacitor is for. There are add-on devices to help the start capacitor as well. Without the start capacitor my 3.2 diesel genny would not start the air either. Just had a moment.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

You are fine with leaving your dogs in the van. Just set the thermostat and the air conditioning will come on and off as needed.
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Sure, the 3rd generation Mercedes Sprinter (for the US market assembled in Ladson, SC) is a very good vehicle, has many practical electronic helpers (very good LED light, Adaptive Cruise Control, Line Assist, etc.) and all that has to be paid for. But over 200'000 for an extended van, whose wet bathroom is so small that it's only used when there's a real need and no other possiblity... hmm, you have to ask yourself.

Personally, I think that the price-performance ratio is not quite right. For example, the weight/space saving of lithium-ion batteries is out of proportion to their cost. AGMs are certainly heavier, need more space for the same capacity, but cost much less and the life span is even longer. In the Boldt there is, for example, no larger bath available because expensive lithium-ion batteries are used to save space.

Also the Line-Assist is good and right, but I personally think that I still hit the lane myself (I could do this the last 35 years without Line-Assist). Only the Adaptive Cruise Control is a really good thing, together with the powerful diesel engine and the new transmission it makes travelling on urban highways really comfortable. Provided you have the confidence that the vehicle will really slow down to a standstill in traffic jams (it does... but it's a kind of a strange feeling....).

I think the new Solis is the much better concept than the Boldt and if I look at the Wonder from Leisure Travel Van (based on a Ford Transit Diesel chassis; it even has a full bath and isn't much bigger in its dimensions) then I probably wouldn't rely on the Boldt, unless you need the benefits of an ACC, 4x4 drive, in winter etc.

Well... if I could make a wish: A Boldt with a pop-up roof, full bath and 4x4... and all for 150k.
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Isn’t there a 2020 MB chassis option, the Limited Edition, which has standard cruise control, no fog lights, a lesser radio, etc, and costs about $8k less? Don’t know if the Boldt can be ordered with this, but I know there are Views out there with it ....
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote