Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
Travato 59K

BIM 225 install in Travato

One thing that I have not liked in my 2020 Travato is the charging system. In my three previous RVs the chassis battery was charged by shore power/Generator and the house batteries were charged by the engine alternator. In more expensive Winnebagos, a BIM 225 is installed to perform these functions. I called Winnebago and asked if there was any reason that I could not install a BIM 225 in my Travato and they told me that I could. They also said that I could remove the three circuit breakers hooked up to the system as well as the solenoid since the BIM 225 has it own internal protection. I probably could have done it myself, but it is upside down under the vehicle so I opted to have a local RV mechanic, who has done excellent previous work for me, to install it. It works as advertised with the additional perk of the solar panels charging both the house and chassis batteries. In the Florida sun the solar panels have no problem keeping both the house and chassis batteries full.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sorry, not sure this is what you meant to say:
In my three previous RVs the chassis battery was charged by shore power/Generator and the house batteries were charged by the engine alternator.

Never seen one that had that system as I've always found the chassis /start battery always works off the alternator as a normal car/truck does. But then which Travato you have may make a difference as there eight different builds for that year.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
Travato 59K

The Travato (and many other Class Bs and some C’s) are not equipped with a battery isolation manager. They have a cheap and simple system that allows the house batteries to charge when the alternator is operating, but the chassis battery is not charged when on generator or shore power. Most larger and more expensive RVs are equipped with a BiRD/Trombetta or BCC or BIM - true battery isolation managers - which allow charging both ways. I replaced the rudimentary charging system in my Travato with a true BIM (battery isolation manager.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
2022 Travato 59KL

Where did you put this in the system?
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
Travato 59K

It replaces the solenoid in the box under the coach near the rear axel. The three circuit breakers were also removed. The other black box next to the solenoid is apparently for the battery boost and remains.

Tags
install