Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

It was with sadness I learned today while awaiting service at the plant that the surplus store has shuttered its doors for good. Quite an end to an era. Evidently, more layoffs have occurred and the plant's production line will be silent again next week. Sure hope there is a turnaround in the economy soon!
munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It was with sadness I learned today while awaiting service at the plant that the surplus store has shuttered its doors for good. Quite an end to an era. Evidently, more layoffs have occurred and the plant's production line will be silent again next week. Sure hope there is a turnaround in the economy soon!
munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

That is sad news. We've never visited the plant and had planned to do so in September on the way out to Yellowstone. My wife and I were looking forward to checking out the surplus store.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

What a shame - I heard a rumor it was shutting down while chatting with some folks at the GNR. It was a poor cousin of what it used to be when located across from Pammel Park. Their prices were never very realistic and I suspect they could have moved much more stuff with 'garage sale' pricing.

Supposedly Winnie is going to sell the surplus in large lots to get it off their hands.

Gary - swing by Elkhart on your way to/from Yellowstone. There is a huge RV surplus store in town and a large one about 20 miles east of Elkhart. Mostly it is Monaco surplus, but lots of it is generic RV stuff.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

I'm sort of glad that I took the opportunity to tour the store. It was always some thing to do while in Forest City. We'll miss not having it. I did actually buy something from the store for depchief's coach while there.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Darn I hate to see it close.
I picked up several neat things there.
Pull down driver and passenger side shades for one. Five bucks instead of $50 each?

Got a lock for the fuel door for a couple of bucks.

Oh well....
Old 08-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That is indeed bad news. Bought some things again this year while at GNR. It will be missed.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Wow - and we were there the week after the GNR. We bought a bunch of odds and ends, two remnants of the fabric that they used to make the View privacy curtains, and a pair of Vectra headlight assemblies.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Oh man, bummer. I knew I sould of bouht a couple of those ten dollar side view mirrors when I had the chance!
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #10

We didn't need them on our 08, but everyone in our club that was at GNR got a set of the $10 mirrors! It was really funny. The first guy came back from the store and said "Look what I got for $10". The rest of the crowd "beat feet" to the store and came back with a set. They spent Weds. afternoon putting them on all the coaches. Don't even ask be about the water pump story! I got a great mirror for $2 and added it to our bathroom. Matches the wood perfectly. Sorry to hear the store is closing. Maybe by GNR next year, they will decide to reopen.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote