Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2023, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2018 ERA 170A Water Issue

We haven't used our ERA 170A since last July s it's been in for repairs (long story). Finally got it back and I was going through the process of sanitizing the water system and am having the worst time trying to get the water pump to pull from the Fresh Water Tank.

I've been through the manuals and have tried what I believe to be every possible combination of valve setting down in the water cabinet and under the driver's side bed.

Can someone PLEASE for the love of GOD tell me what the vales in the water cabinet and under the driver's side bed are supposed to be set to so I can pull from the fresh water tank?

FYI - in the process of having the RV in for repair the dealership replaced my under sink water filter from the internal cartridge based 3M to a Waterdrop twist on filter. I'm hoping they replaced the water lines in the correct orientation.

Faucets, toilet and shower seem to work fine off city water btw.

Thanks in advance for any assistance - I feel like an idiot asking but my brain hurts at this point. Photos welcome
NikonJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That's one that can get to most anybody!
So maybe we can start with a few common ideas.
First to really get down to it, we need to know which EXACT RV. In that year and model there was an early and a late build. Early has a 7th digit of 1 and late it 7th digit of serial number of 2. I "think" it the same but worth checking for details.

But a couple ideas to check pretty easy.One is the way the tubing from tank to pump is located higher on the tank than we might like. That means you may need quite a bit of water in the tank to use the pump!
See how high it is shown?

Click image for larger version

Name:	water full.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	185645
Another easy point to get a mess is the vaccum tube, cap and valve. It is much less work for the pump to move air around than having to lift water! So if we let it get air, it won't move water up to the faucets!
Click image for larger version

Name:	tube.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	185646

I've marked several places to check, The valve needs to be closed and best to have the cap backl onas well to make sure no air leaks. One check is to take the cap off, turn the valve to suck from the tube and see if you can feel the vacumm suck your finger as the pump runs. Then be sure to to put it back to normal operation!!
If not sucking on the finger, there may be a leak along the line to the pump where it can get air.
One easy one is the fragile little glass filter body that cracks if you look at it! It can also be a filter stopped up?? Washing and soaking in vinegar may help clear hard water deposits.

I lean away from the house filter being a problem as it is on the output of the pump, so problems there might just change the operation of the filtered water, not the stool?? I did not trace it that far, though!

See if that helps and shout back as this is "top oif the head" and may not be correct!

Sometimes giving ideas from a distance is like shooting arrows in the dark!
We never know if we hit anything until somebody yells!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Angry

Well my suspicions were correct that the water pump was the culprit. Our van was dropped off for some major issues in July on 2022 when we returned from Upstate New York. The generator wouldn't turn over and the AC wouldn't cool things down even on shore power, plus I suspected a propane leak - yup it was a freakin mess.

Camping World resolved the issues with a new roof mount AC unit, new solenoid/ground strap on the generator, new propane regulator and main valve, new propane alarm and a new bunk switch for the lighting controls. Unfortunately the RV was not drained of water between July and December when we finally got it back, so the under sink water filter housing cracked and broke in two.

I honestly think that's what did the pump in as it worked fine when we dropped the RV off in July. Here's the fun part - I brought it back yesterday to Camping World and they concurred with my diagnosis of a bad water pump. They had one in stock so they installed it and..... wait for it.... Now the shower control is leaking... I noticed some water there but assumed I didn't close the shower head valve (as did the tech who looked the RV over with me). So now I gotta figure out how to fix the dag nab freakin shower control
Old 04-24-2023, 07:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Received the new CFG shower valve yesterday and installed it with no issues. Hopefully that's the end of my post freeze damage water leaks...

If you ever need the valve assembly they're available on Amazon for under $100 - link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...C0KWN8S4&psc=1

Tags
water