Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Era tires - which ones & where to buy/install?

I'm in the market for a set of new 215/85 R16 front tires for our 2016 Era. I noticed the current front tires (Continental VancoFourSeason) are worn excessively on the inside so it appears a front-end alignment is also needed.

I'm looking for recommendations on the following:
  1. Particular brands and models of replacement tires
  2. Where to purchase them (and where to install, if not the same)

I'm located in the NE Atlanta Georgia suburbs.

In a previous thread https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...bs-361066.html I mentioned that none of the local automobile tire-oriented places I checked with would work on the Era's tires. For example, Costco said their lift is limited to 3 tons and the Era is approximately 5 tons.

The local alternatives I'm aware of are the following:
  1. Local Mercedes-Benz dealer, presumably the most expensive option (I'll probably get the alignment done there)
  2. Local Winnebago dealer, who to date has been disappointing with simple stuff
  3. Local shop who had some issues with installing the metal valve stems (see previous thread)
  4. Local truck tire shop?

I'd favor a national chain if there is a reputable one that handles RVs.

I took a look at tires on TireRack.com but don't know enough to make an informed choice. I'd be willing to buy from them and have a local shop install them. I see they have a distribution center about 20 miles from here and I can save some money if I pick them up myself.

On a somewhat related note, when we left on our last trip we weighed the Era fully-loaded. It was just over 10,300 pounds with the weight on the front axle roughly 4,000 pounds and the balance (about 6,300 pounds) on the rear axle. The tire info placard on the Era says the tire pressure should be 60 PSI on all 6 tires. The previous owner ran them at 70 PSI saying the Era rode better with the higher pressure. Any thoughts on appropriate tire pressures, and how to calculate them if we consider deviating from Winnebago's recommended pressure?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

https://simpletire.com/brands/cooper...iscoverer-a-t3 I like these on my 2017 Era 170A. I off-road alot. These have been awesome. They go on sale sometimes.
dashriprock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashriprock1 View Post
https://simpletire.com/brands/cooper...iscoverer-a-t3 I like these on my 2017 Era 170A. I off-road alot. These have been awesome. They go on sale sometimes.
Thanks for the follow-up. I eventually wound up purchasing a pair of Continental VanContact tires for the front, which were similar to the original tires, as it seems most of the info I found on tires says to avoid mixing different types of tires.

I need to replace the rear tires soon and will look at your recommendation.

BTW, since you have an ERA similar to mine, have you ever replaced your coach batteries? I have a couple of recent threads on the topic, trying to decide what to do.

Here are the threads...

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ns-364706.html

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ns-364771.html

Tags
install, tires