Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Era - MaxxAir roof vent fan fun

Prior to our recent trip I noticed our MaxxAir 8500K roof vent fan would not open automatically or manually. The black knob rotated as expected in automatic opening mode, so the opening motor was OK and something else was wrong. I had previously noted that it seemed to be sticking a bit when opening but didn't give it much thought at the time. We did without it on the trip, which was uncomfortable for several fairly warm days with no way to vent the warm air.

Based on some web searches and YouTube videos, I figured the most likely culprit was a broken operator mechanism (MaxxAir terminology - part # 10-20281K-1AF) or gearbox (Winnebago terminology - part # 189640-02-704). I figured I'd order the part and give installing it a try.

Lichtsinn RV said the part had been back-ordered for months and they couldn't provide a delivery date. I check etrailer.com and they were also out of stock. Both vendors listed the price in the $30 to $40 range plus shipping.

A subsequent search led to rvupgrades.com. They had the MaxxAir part in stock for $12 and change, with flat-rate shipping $9.99, so I ordered one. I was a bit skeptical due to the much lower price, but I received a genuine MaxxAir part and installation sheet.

Once the part arrived, I removed the screen and the fan blade assembly to see what I could and couldn't do from inside the RV, hoping to minimize the time and effort on the roof. I tried opening the fan automatically, and with a little push up on the fan cover it opened automatically, much to my surprise. At that point I realized the operator mechanism was actually working.

I cleaned the fan screen, blades, inside of the cover and the rubber seal that the cover rests on. I then applied some 3-in-1 RV rubber seal conditioner to the seal and let it dry for a bit. I then reinstalled the blade assembly and screen. Finally, I cycled the fan on and off several times to make sure it was working as expected.

Prior to this, the fan was making a bit of a squealing noise when it was running. I didn't see anywhere where lubrication could be applied, but perhaps there is a place to do so. So it's still squealing a bit, but tolerable.

Below are a few MaxxAir roof fan-related videos I found useful.

Cleaning the fan:

Replacing the operator mechanism (different RV and MaxxAir fan model, but similar enough):

One of the morals of this story is to spend a little more time troubleshooting before ordering any parts. That said, it does appear the operator mechanism is somewhat failure-prone and having a spare on hand isn't a bad idea. On the road, the problem would be getting on the roof as the Era doesn't have a ladder in the back.

Hope someone finds this useful.
RV-Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
Prior to our recent trip I noticed our MaxxAir 8500K roof vent fan would not open automatically or manually. The black knob rotated as expected in automatic opening mode, so the opening motor was OK and something else was wrong. I had previously noted that it seemed to be sticking a bit when opening but didn't give it much thought at the time. We did without it on the trip, which was uncomfortable for several fairly warm days with no way to vent the warm air.

Based on some web searches and YouTube videos, I figured the most likely culprit was a broken operator mechanism (MaxxAir terminology - part # 10-20281K-1AF) or gearbox (Winnebago terminology - part # 189640-02-704). I figured I'd order the part and give installing it a try.

Lichtsinn RV said the part had been back-ordered for months and they couldn't provide a delivery date. I check etrailer.com and they were also out of stock. Both vendors listed the price in the $30 to $40 range plus shipping.

A subsequent search led to rvupgrades.com. They had the MaxxAir part in stock for $12 and change, with flat-rate shipping $9.99, so I ordered one. I was a bit skeptical due to the much lower price, but I received a genuine MaxxAir part and installation sheet.

Once the part arrived, I removed the screen and the fan blade assembly to see what I could and couldn't do from inside the RV, hoping to minimize the time and effort on the roof. I tried opening the fan automatically, and with a little push up on the fan cover it opened automatically, much to my surprise. At that point I realized the operator mechanism was actually working.

I cleaned the fan screen, blades, inside of the cover and the rubber seal that the cover rests on. I then applied some 3-in-1 RV rubber seal conditioner to the seal and let it dry for a bit. I then reinstalled the blade assembly and screen. Finally, I cycled the fan on and off several times to make sure it was working as expected.

Prior to this, the fan was making a bit of a squealing noise when it was running. I didn't see anywhere where lubrication could be applied, but perhaps there is a place to do so. So it's still squealing a bit, but tolerable.

Below are a few MaxxAir roof fan-related videos I found useful.

Cleaning the fan:

Replacing the operator mechanism (different RV and MaxxAir fan model, but similar enough):

One of the morals of this story is to spend a little more time troubleshooting before ordering any parts. That said, it does appear the operator mechanism is somewhat failure-prone and having a spare on hand isn't a bad idea. On the road, the problem would be getting on the roof as the Era doesn't have a ladder in the back.

Hope someone finds this useful.

A year after installing MaxxAir fan vents on our 2016 Minnie Winnie the vent covers stuck closed or released wwith a "pop" once in a while. When I got up on the roof to check them out I found that the rubber seals on each vent had become slightly sticky and was literally adhering the lid in place.

My solution was to cover the seals all the way around with lengths of black electrical tape. So far this has worked well with no sticking at all.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
A year after installing MaxxAir fan vents on our 2016 Minnie Winnie the vent covers stuck closed or released wwith a "pop" once in a while. When I got up on the roof to check them out I found that the rubber seals on each vent had become slightly sticky and was literally adhering the lid in place.

My solution was to cover the seals all the way around with lengths of black electrical tape. So far this has worked well with no sticking at all.
Thanks for the feedback. That's an interesting solution I would have never thought of. If this problem arises again I'll give that a try.
RV-Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yesterday the gearbox on our MaxxAir fan disintegrated, as initially feared at the start of this thread 2 years ago. I turned the 12V power on and the fan started making all kinds of racket, with various pieces of metal scattered on the screen. Each time I turned the 12V power on, the motor kept spinning and more metal debris was flung out, so we finally just stopped turning the power on. Fortunately we were headed home a few hours later (1-day drive). So I'll finally install the replacement gearbox I bought some time back.

I found another well-done YouTube video detailing how to install the replacement:

Old 05-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Gearbox parts

Hopefully this cell phone image of the pieces of the disintegrated operator mechanism / gearbox will appear as intended. This is most of the parts, there were a few others that got misplaced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230525_124714954_HDR.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	186150
Old 09-21-2023, 12:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Myc18 era 70 had similar issues....it was just sticky seal cause the rv was not being used enough...once a year... lol.... same thing happened to the side windows....it sticks so hard that I had to lift it away from outside to unstuck the Window from rubber seal....
Jjrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

For me, easier to open the cover from inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjrho View Post
Myc18 era 70 had similar issues....it was just sticky seal cause the rv was not being used enough...once a year... lol.... same thing happened to the side windows....it sticks so hard that I had to lift it away from outside to unstuck the Window from rubber seal....
If the cover sticks, I find it easier to remove the screen (by rotating the 4 latches) and then loosening the hex screw to take the blade assembly off the motor shaft. Then I just gently push up on the cover from inside with a short piece of wooden dowel rod that I keep on hand for that purpose.

As always, YMMV...

Tags
fan, roof, vent