Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
mdo
Winnebago Camper

1st MH.. Vista 26HE or Minnie Winnie 25B

After a lot of looking, the wife and I agree that we would like to buy either a Class A or C Winnebago...tired of expensive hotel rooms and being told when to check in and out....

BACKGROUND

We are retired and plan to purchase late this year and use the MH frequently on the nearby lake, monthly trips in the NE GA mountains 50 miles each way, and annual trip to Key West and San Antonio, 1000 miles each way spending up to 30 days on each trip... possibly one or two of the children (adults) may join us on some of the shorter trips, a week or less......our guess is we will travel at least 6-8K miles per year....We have a supplemental retirement account that will cover down payment and payments...

THE CHOICES

The Minnie Winnie 25B w/the Ford V-10 has all we need and can get one in the mid $50's + tax... the wife also likes the look of the Vista 26HE, increased storage and the view from a Class A.... the Vista 26HE is about $8-10K more but within our budget if we choose.... any feedback from those who have owned either on insurance, drivability, maintenance costs, or reliability of one over the other is appreciated....
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have owned two class C Jaycos and currently own a class A Winnebago. I liked the class C because we often had grandchildren with us and with the extra bunk the trips were easier. We lacked storage and some of the nicer features of the class A's. Now the grandchildren are adults and we love our class A with all the features.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2013 Vista 26 HE. It's a good rig for two adults; my wife and I love it, 17,000 miles so far. Short enough for no toad which we like. However, if you are taking others, there is no place for them to sleep unless you are taking a tent. The table converts to a bed but I wouldn't want to be the one sleeping there. The table seats are the only ones seat belted so this is where your guests will have to travel.

I think I covered your main concern but if you want more info on this model, let me know.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Site Team

I also have the 26HE and agree with BBQ Judge. It is a great RV for two, but four adults would be a crowd. That might be a good selling point for some! :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
mdo
Winnebago Camper

BBQ Judge and macnut..... have either of you used a toad with the 26E or know of the towing characteristics? We have a 96 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 that we might want to tow occasionally....
Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes, I tow a 2014 Honda CRV, which is about 3500 pounds (I included a photo below). It tows really well, and I hardly notice it's there. The first time, in fact, I turned on the rear view monitor just to make sure! :-) The chassis has the same engine as the larger Vista/Sunstar RV's, so it has plenty of power. When going down steep grades, I notice that I need to go a bit slower (at a lower gear) for the engine brake to keep it going at a constant speed without having to use the brakes.

Someone also asked me how it handles in the wind and when passed by trucks. I can say that I have had no problem with that. At the same time, I live in CA where the truck speed limit is 55. While some do pass me, it hasn't create a problem for me. Since this is the only RV I have driven, I don't know how it is supposed to feel, but I can say I don't feel unsafe or uncomfortable when the pass by, or when I am in windy weather. I have a stock suspension ( no additional track bar, etc.), and I fill my tires to 87 pounds. However, I tend to drive on the slow side, at about 55-60 mph...sometimes as high as 65. I do his more for gas savings, and because I enjoy driving and not in a hurry to get there or back. I get a little over 8 mpg per tank of gas.

I hope this info helps! Take care and enjoy your 26HE!

Al

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401416791.715655.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	812.4 KB
ID:	64175

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm just the opposite from macnut, I've never towed with ours. I hope I don't start an argument with my following comment, but if I wanted to tow, I would have stayed with our 5th wheel. My F-250 would be roomier than most small tow vehicles. I'm 6'4". My wife likes having certain facilities with us.

The 26 HE is small enough to park anywhere I could put the truck. I like having everything with us instead of thinking I left the camera back at the campground, etc. I don't mind tearing down each morning and setting up each night. I'm sure we will run into a situation where the RV is too big; that's what car rentals are for. One other negative, twice the campground gave away our spot while we were sightseeing, thinking we were gone. Both times we ended up with better locations from the apologetic and embarrassed host.

Everything in RVing, and life, is a compromise. Each much enjoy things as they see fit. Whatever you decide, enjoy it.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

macnut,

I forgot to add in my previous post about two adults only selling point, I have a sister-in-law who isn't too happy with me since she could go in the 5th wheel, but not the Vista.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
Site Team

Haha...sounds like you made the right choice for a 2-person rig, BBQ Judge. :-)
Regarding towing, it's really a matter of personal choice. Once we setup, we hate moving, so we like to tow if we need a vehicle where we are going. Also, it gives us more flexibility in where we go, as some roads on the west coast, at least, are not compatible with any sized RV. I also think towing a car is easier due to the relative sizes of what is doing the towing versus being towed. I barely notice the CRV behind me when I tow. The main thing I think we both agree on is to thoroughly think through the choice and be happy with it once you've made it. Happy travels!

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
mdo
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the feedback.... we test drove a Minnie Winnie 25B today and the wife went back and forth looking at the Vista 26HE and 25B..... she wants to be able to take her twin and other sister on occasion and the Winnie 25B would suit us best..... now I can start the search for one with the Premier package she wants the oven and I want the side cameras and a few other extras...... and then negotiate a good price.... at least we have settled on which brand and model.... thanks again.....
Old 06-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Best of luck to you! Looking forward to hearing about your purchase.