Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

1999 Minnie Winnie

Hello all

I am considering purchasing a 1999 Minnie Winnie 31A and have done a lot of research, printed inspection checklist and read hundreds of post.

My greatest concern is and should be water leaks. From the front,, when I look down the drivers side, I can see the supports outlined on the side walls. It looks like it could almost be normal because it is so uniform on the whole side. I can see no leaks inside and the outside walls do not give. The unit has been well maintained and otherwise looks great.

Any information about this and other information about this model would be greatly appreciated.

Frank
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would say the sun caused the walls to fade differently between the studs. maybe due to condensation/frost .. the space between the studs would have insulation, and a difference in temperature ???
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It is more uneveness

This is more like unevenness. Hopefully I can get a video of it this weekend and post it.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Minnie, and the exterior walls are flat -- can't see where the wall studs are. If this is occurring only on the driver's side and not on the passenger side, I believe I would probably keep looking for a MH. (just my opinion)

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

To retired cop

Thanks for your input. This Minnie is in great shape other wise and comes with a toad too, so I would love to have it.

I do agree with you, thought I am curious why the "slight deformation" has me curious as to what the cause is because it is so uniform.

How do you like your Minnie?

frank
Old 01-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Frank,

I've only had mine about 3 months and have made several short trips but no extended travels until spring. So far I love it (except for the gas mileage). Put six new Michelins on it the second day I had it and have no complaints about the handling. Good luck with yours.

Ken

Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

1999 Minnie Winnie skin stress

Hi Frank;

We have a 2004 427P Minnie Winnie with 62,000 miles on it. My wife and I have been looking to trade up to a small Class A and have found that quality and amenities that we have in our Winnie cannot be found in new small class A.
We have put 32,000 miles on the unit and we bought it used in 2011. we love it. I take good care of the exterior and try to wax it completely every year. This year just before putting away I too noticed some of the seams appearing to show thru the skin. They are very slight but it got me to thinking as well - do I have a leak in the roof somewhere or are they just stress cracks after 60,000 plus miles. I am going to have to research this and upon pulling it out after winter storage take it to a dealer and get opinion. I would like to hear from others who might have had this problem. I too have not had any apparent leaks noted on the interior since I have owned it but then I do not know what previous owners experience was.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Chris,
We are going to buy this unit against my better judgement. The wife loves it.

After looking at the side a second time I could not see the same lines I did before. The light has to just right. Also I could not feel anything when I ran my hands over them. On the other hand we did find a leak in the unit in the cab over (no big surprise there) which the owner is going to have fixed.

Frank
Old 01-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Frank,

Congratulations!! Hope you grow to love yours as much as we do ours.

Happy traveling.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

hi,

We had a 96 Minnie Winnie and loved it. I did wind up with delam and it was caused by me not checking and recaulking the seams on the roof going from front to back on both sides. I did caulk the front and rear. I would suggest using Eterna Bond tape and tape it along the seam above the gutter. Be careful though as once it is down you can't re-position it.

One last point after driving down the road and pulling into a rest stop make sure you let the engine idle a few minutes before shutting it off so as to get rid of heat buildup which cause cracked manifold bolts

Good Luck with your new coach

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well good luck with your "Minnie". It is a great product and you will enjoy.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Tom, Chris, Ann

Thanks for the replies. I am going to let the pros fix the leak and then have EternaBond applied to the all the seams. The roof looked good and solid so I will keep my fingers crossed.
I was putting the Christmas decorations away and noticed I have a drip in the attic at the roof vent so I will use it there too! Thanks again

Frank