Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

1995 Minnie Winnie Grey/Black Tank Question

Being new to this, I thought that the galley sink, lav sink, and shower all drained to the grey tank, and the toilet went to the black tank. After watching my indicator lights, I checked the owner's manual (did initially, but didn't understand at the time) and it seems that only the lavatory sink and shower fill the grey tank. (model is a 429WU) With that limited amount of water going into the grey tank I'm thinking I should just fill the grey tank to half full with a garden hose to the lav sink, rather than using the water pump to transfer from the fresh tank via the faucet.

Thoughts? Did I interpret the manual incorrectly?

As always, thank you for any input!
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Lavatory sinks usually dump into the Black.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

You don't have to worry about water in the grey tank, its the black tank that needs the water to prevent the pyramid from forming. Both my sinks drain into the black tank so after I do a dump I wash my hands for a long time and flush the toilet to get a few gallons of water in the Black tank.
bobsinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Verified the owner's manual, toilet and galley drain into tank 1 (35 gal) and lav/shower drain to tank 2 (25 gal). I'll normally have minimal grey water from the drains, so does it work okay to drain the black tank, re-fill with 5-6 gallons and re-drain it to flush things out?

As a newbie I know a lot of this is trial and error, but I'd prefer to keep that at a low level dealing with the black tank

Thanks all!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Many folks add tank flushers to the black tank to help rinse and fill with a few gallons of water after draining.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-T...Rinser/7964402

I've heard of many plumbing systems set up to allow lav sink to drain in black tank, to add water to the tank and because it's usually limited amount of water used in a day. Not heard of kitchen sink drain to black tank, that seems like your black tank would fill too fast as kitchen sink used more often. I think I'd want to verify that configuration. Easy to do next time you're camped in a full hook up site, just drain both tanks then run water in one sink to see where it ends up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That's not a bad idea, I'm parked close enough to the house I can connect to an outside faucet to do that test. If it turns out that it's only the lav/shower that go to the grey tank the tank flusher looks like the best way to go.

Looks like I've got a project for tomorrow....
Old 08-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It's confirmed....lav sink and shower to grey tank, galley sink and toilet to black.......

Kept things running until I had 2/3 in the grey tank so I'm comfortable dumping now before our next trip in a week.

Thanks all!

Tags
tank