Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Your opinion on 2010-2013 Winnebago Via

We're looking hard at the Winnebago VIA (manufactured from 2010 to date with the Mercedes Sprinter chassis). What talk we have heard is they get great mileage (16-20 mpg); keeping in mind that any mileage greater than 8-9 is good for the pocket book.
Are there any VIA owners caring to give their opinion.

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Spoke to a couple on our way down to FL. They had the model you mention and also were getting the higher end of what you indicate for mpg. They really liked it. I thought it was a pretty classy looking rig. There's was an 2011.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I looked at them before buying my Journey Express. The fuel mileage was enticing but the small bedroom area and lack of inside and outside storage was a deal stopper for me. I guess you have to look at how you are going to use your coach to see if it fits your needs. I did feel it was a well built little unit but it surely was small.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
I looked at them before buying my Journey Express. The fuel mileage was enticing but the small bedroom area and lack of inside and outside storage was a deal stopper for me. I guess you have to look at how you are going to use your coach to see if it fits your needs. I did feel it was a well built little unit but it surely was small.
Sounds like us.
Long story short:
Sister had just bought a 2010 VIA - twin bunk model with over-the driving compartment pull-down bed, and brought it by for a look-see. Really liked the unit and we had sold the Voyage so since we "needed" another MH we found and bought a 2011 VIA - rear queen model.

Took a few trips in it and really enjoyed the handeling, gas milage and general over-all quality. However it is kind of small - it was a replacement for a 35' Voyage, and we have had in the dark/distant past several larger MHs such as a Journey 39F and a Alpine 24 something.

All in all, really liked and enjoyed the smaller unit, but there was DW rule - Only One Person Standing at A Time. So when a large sum of money (unexpected) showed up (US Gov'mt payout for health damage many years ago) - we upgraded to a Meridian V Class (34') and never looked back - except for the large loss we took in selling a new RV less than a year old.

All in all the VIA was a great unit, got it at a great price (~100K $) and we likely would have keep it for many years, even though it was smaller than any other MH we had ever owned. But with "Free" money" we HAD to spend trading it was bitter sweet - sorry to see it go but happy to get back to a little larger unit.

Would I buy it again - sure unless I got another windfall

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We bought a 2011 Reyo 25T last August. Traded it in last month on a Serrano 31X. The Reyo was great to drive, our fuel economy ranged from 12.5 - 16.8 over 3000 miles < 60 mph - mixed terrain and roads, Pacific NW. The quality was good. The space inside for two adults and one golden retriever was good when driving, very frustrating when parked. The exterior storage was excellent. We thought, coming from a 38 ft. sailboat that we could live in the small size. We were wrong. We've lost some fuel efficiency with our Serrano (so far two tanks, one at 10.5 and one at 13.5) but other than that, the added space is sooo important !
johnandanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks folks for all the input. We live rather compactly. It's the features and mileage that count at this time.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

it'll be a good choice and you'll rarely find a space that is too small for your MH. The one mod we made when we had our Reyo (same as Via), was to make a smaller table top to give us a little more walk around room. Have fun !
johnandanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the input. We have until Friday 93/30) to make a decision on a new Via (25T). We love our Winnebago View (24H) but not the nightly climbs up and down when "nature calls." Getting old is not for sissies and we are afraid one of us will fall because we are half asleep and break a limb or worse. We think we may miss our View's permanent booth/table but not sure until we live in the Via.
regview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We've had a 2011 Via since june of last year. Love it. 10,000 miles, 16 mpg (14 with trailer hauling a 2011 Mini Clubman S). Had auto levelers installed. On our summer 8 wk trip.
boatman824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

2013 Via 25Q

We traded for a new Via just a couple of months ago. We went from a 40' DP to the Via and we love it.
We had been hauling around way too much "stuff" from years of RVing and we got back to basics. We rented a 24' class C in Alaska in 2011 and found we could do quite well in a smaller unit so we felt okay in trading this year.
We have had to over come some things to make it suit us but so far we have not found a problem we could not solve.
We get between 13.5 and 14.2 mpg towing a Jeep Cherokee and we think that is great. We have yet to take a trip with out towing but look forward to seeing what the mpg will be then.
Love the way it drives and handles. We can now drive around fuel pumps and find easy turn around areas even while towing. Also I don't have to worry about the height of things as much now.
I'll be happy to share some of our changes for those that are interested.
Good Luck.....
Steve Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Had a 2011 Via 25T for 10 months, and it has a lot of great features, and is elegant. Performed pretty much as advertised, but we always towed a car and drove 70 or so. Got 12-13 MPG, which was fine. However, space was tight (one standing at a time), no fixed dinette, had to turn seats around for TV, wife couldn't open refrigerator (we tried every trick, she didn't have the strength). And the sink faucets work in an unusual way.
We ordered it blind, but if you can find one you think you like, spend a little time in it (no salesman around) and think about how it fits your lifestyle. It may be fine for you.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
We're looking hard at the Winnebago VIA (manufactured from 2010 to date with the Mercedes Sprinter chassis). What talk we have heard is they get great mileage (16-20 mpg); keeping in mind that any mileage greater than 8-9 is good for the pocket book.
Most of the people I know who have these sprinter based RV's really do seem to like them. I looked at several but in the end they were just a bit to small for what we wanted.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Had money on a 25T Via, they look great on the web, finally found a dealer that had one in for service within driving distance. It was just too small, plastic cabinets, no outside storage except the big rear compartment, you can't put jacks on them, voids the Freightliner warrenty, have to find a MB dealer that will service it, not all dealers do, same with the chassis. Bought a 2012 Winnebago Vista 26P, more of everything and only 1-1/2' longer and I can buy a heck of a lot of gasoline with the $38000 I saved!!!!(MSRP vs MSRP)
Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugeguy
Our very best friends traded for a new 2010 Via in the summer of 2010. We left immediately for a cross country trip & covered around 6000 miles over the next 120 days. The drive train was no problem. The little diesel generator ran rough at high altitudes and an Cummins/Onan dealer never really solved the issue. They had a couple of fresh water tank leaks and a problem with the dump valves. The mileage was 10-13 during that trip & they have gotten 14-15 a couple of times when not towing. They towed a Saturn Vue across country and it towed fine.

My observation is that the tanks both holding and fuel are small and limited requiring frequent fueling and very limited day camping. It does not come with any leveling system and Sprinter (Mercedes) does not want you to put one on. Our friends did add an HWH leveling system and said it was the best money they ever spent because the coach rocked on its springs too much without them.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
I would like to know if you did buy one! If so, what is your opinion now.
I too am considering a purchase. Any comments would be appreciated.
Papa Allan
Papa Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman824 View Post
We've had a 2011 Via since june of last year. Love it. 10,000 miles, 16 mpg (14 with trailer hauling a 2011 Mini Clubman S). Had auto levelers installed. On our summer 8 wk trip.
Hello Boatman,
Do you still love your Via? We are thinking about buying a Reyo or Via (don't know what the real difference is) and would appreciate any reports on service issues. I saw a terrible report in the Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum which quoted a huge list of service issues in a 2011 Reyo. From "reyo owner" on 9/19/11. "Twenty repairs in less than a year,l" he said. That has scared me off, so far. Papa Allan from California
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Garrett View Post
We traded for a new Via just a couple of months ago. We went from a 40' DP to the Via and we love it.
We had been hauling around way too much "stuff" from years of RVing and we got back to basics. We rented a 24' class C in Alaska in 2011 and found we could do quite well in a smaller unit so we felt okay in trading this year.
We have had to over come some things to make it suit us but so far we have not found a problem we could not solve.
We get between 13.5 and 14.2 mpg towing a Jeep Cherokee and we think that is great. We have yet to take a trip with out towing but look forward to seeing what the mpg will be then.
Love the way it drives and handles. We can now drive around fuel pumps and find easy turn around areas even while towing. Also I don't have to worry about the height of things as much now.
I'll be happy to share some of our changes for those that are interested.
Good Luck.....
Hello Steve,
Do you still love your Via? How many service issues have you had? I saw a terrible report in the Motorhome Magazine forum which has scared me away from Via/Reyo so far. And, what is the difference between Via and Reyo?
Any comments would be appreciated! Papa Allan from California
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Still like it

We still like the Via. It suits us fine. I had 3 issues at first but all were handled by MB. Dash fan would slow/stop on AC. They replaced a module and all is well.
Horn was hard to blow and then only a weak sound. MB checked it and it worked fine and still does. May have been a dirty contact or something. Heard a "clank" when first driving out of storage place. Sounded like a rope on a flag pole. MB said this is common with Sprinter and it goes away in less than 10k miles. We will see.
My only objections so far are the rubber tire valve stems; I had the replaced with metal ones so I could use my TPM system, and that I have to get on my old knees to get anything out of the basement compartments. I am use to doors that swing to the side and are well above ground on a 40' coach. I can adapt to that.
We look forward to many happy days on the road in our new toy.

Steve
13 Via 25Q "Poncho"
05 Jeep GC
FL and NC
Steve Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago VIA

We have not purchased one as yet. We are looking at the Winnebago View as well. . . . . AND any other Sprinter chassis-based rig; Forest River is one.

I read the Motorhome Magazine forums and, as with any newly purchased vehicle, there are always lemons. I suspect this fellow's experience is more of a rarity rather than the norm.

I see very few "used" ads for both the Via and View across the country. Those that are(2005 -2009 mostly) and even less later models ones.

If all the Views and Vias are so bad then there should be hundreds put up for sale by disgruntled owners.

Check around. Every year there are new ones listed for over $100k that end up selling in the $85k-$93k range. Found a 2012 Via 25T last year for $92K, but did not act on it in time.

Consequently we are still looking for one to fit our needs.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Bought a 25 R Last year. 12000 miles. My wife picked it out. She loves it. I do too. 16.5 mpg. Had a small car hauler made for my mini. Brought the mileage all the way down to 14.5. If you find a good mercedes shop you are golden. all otherwork is done by camping world. Bought the 100000 mile bumper to bumper. This is just what the doctor ordered.
boatman824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago