Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Garrett View Post
We traded for a new Via just a couple of months ago. We went from a 40' DP to the Via and we love it.
We had been hauling around way too much "stuff" from years of RVing and we got back to basics. We rented a 24' class C in Alaska in 2011 and found we could do quite well in a smaller unit so we felt okay in trading this year.
We have had to over come some things to make it suit us but so far we have not found a problem we could not solve.
We get between 13.5 and 14.2 mpg towing a Jeep Cherokee and we think that is great. We have yet to take a trip with out towing but look forward to seeing what the mpg will be then.
Love the way it drives and handles. We can now drive around fuel pumps and find easy turn around areas even while towing. Also I don't have to worry about the height of things as much now.
I'll be happy to share some of our changes for those that are interested.
Good Luck.....
Steve, I'm very close to buying a 2011 Via T. I saw from ur post that you've pulled a Jeep Cherokee and got good gas mileage. We'd use the Via to pull either a horse trailer (4500# with 1 horse and gear) or race car trailer (3800#). I've been cautioned that there may be transmission problems with towing; one mechanic says get a bigger rig, others say it's OK-just service the transmission at or ahead of schedule. What is ur experience towing ur Jeep (3600-4000#)? Any transmission problems or other considerations? Thx for ur time & advice.
CDAVEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAVEGO View Post
Steve, I'm very close to buying a 2011 Via T. I saw from ur post that you've pulled a Jeep Cherokee and got good gas mileage. We'd use the Via to pull either a horse trailer (4500# with 1 horse and gear) or race car trailer (3800#). I've been cautioned that there may be transmission problems with towing; one mechanic says get a bigger rig, others say it's OK-just service the transmission at or ahead of schedule. What is ur experience towing ur Jeep (3600-4000#)? Any transmission problems or other considerations? Thx for ur time & advice.
The Sprinter chasis is only rated to tow 4200lbs maximum unless they nust changed it with the latest updated version.

You will be over the limit fast as the Carrying capacity is also low - a tad over 1000lbs usually - exluding water, etc...

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

We bought our Via in Feb 2014 and have put about 12,000 miles on it so far. We've had no problems (that weren't caused by us) and plan to keep it. The size is just right and it has ample storage space. We did add HWH levelers and make some other mods. Handling and performance is awesome. We have found that we take a toad less and less all the time. Its so easy to unhook and go with all your stuff. We've even taken the Via to a Walmart that was 10 minutes away and left the car at the campsite.
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAVEGO View Post
No problems so far. I only have abt 20k miles on the Via now but only 5K or so towing the Jeep. We find it so easy to just take the Via and leave the Jeep home. We do tow the Jeep to FL for the winter which is about 900 mi one way.
Going for the "B" service in a few days and I will let MB tell me if there are any problems that I don't know about.

BTW, we just got back from 5 1/2 months living in the Via in FL. We did not kill each other and we had a fine time. Like I said, it suits us just fine.
Good Luck.....
Steve Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Thx all. I did call Winnebago in Iowa to get the curb weight since GVWR (11030#) is what the axles are rated for, not actual weight of vehicle. The empty weight is 9421#, the weight full of gas, water, & propane is 9928#. This matches what an owner told me he got when he measured his loaded up (without passengers) 2013 Via with a truck scale: 10,460 (4080 front axle & 6380 rear axle). These numbers help to assess tow load since GCWR is 15250# (I'd be at or near the limit pulling 4500#). The service rep said tow capacity is 5000# with tongue weight of 500# and that those are good, tested numbers. He said to make sure to follow the service guideline, especially changing transmission oil & filter on or before recommended mileage. Any other comments are appreciated. Thx.
CDAVEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

We have the Vue-not the Via- same chasis, same quality. I like the 2 front doors

We have the twin rear beds , and leave them made up all the time(V model, it is a T model in the Via)

I put 2 recliners where the sofa/bed was (in the slide) . The recliners and the twin beds make it perfect & comfortable for us,

16 mpg in 28K miles-no need to pull a car.

We took it to San Juans, & Canada (59 days) last summer- taking it to Nova scotia this summer. The Vue is generally cheaper than the Via- & there are more of them to look at.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

2014 via winnabago mercedes sprinter

please give me all the information you have on taking out the couch and putting in recliners, this is what I want to do.

405-478-2718-OKC, OK
katbud1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:39 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7074_2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	109711
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbud1227 View Post
please give me all the information you have on taking out the couch and putting in recliners, this is what I want to do.

405-478-2718-OKC, OK
The existing couch comes out easliy.

The recliners, with center console, were ordered from camping world(58 inches wide- total)

The leading edge of the slide was where I attached 4 pieces of angle Iron-with a hole drilled . The recliners had little rubber pads(4) attached. I took off the front 2 pads and ran the bolts up through the angle Iron, attaching the bolts to the same threaded nuts that held the pads.

I attached flat aluminum to the other 2 pads locations, and ran the flat aluminum (4) to the seat belt bolts (on the floor) there were enough threads to put the flat aluminum on the seat belt bolts & put another nut on top.

My wife took the skirt off the back of the recliners, and attached it to the front of the slide & the front recliner , for the finished look.

Seat belts still work.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Next month we'll begin our fifth season with our 2013 Reyo (T), which has 34k miles on it since we bought it in mid 2012.

It has been great for us during our trips to Alaska (110 days) and around the country. Last fall we spent about two weeks hanging out at the Grand Haven, MI, State Park, which is right on Lake Michigan. For the first time, we rented a car for 10 days, which was handy and expensive.

I'm thinking that during our month in Florida (West Destin) we won't rent a car, but we may use Uber.

While we both love to drive, we decided last fall to add a Blue Ox stabilizer bar and new, firmer shocks. On the drive back to Colorado, I noticed some improvement. DW thought there was a big improvement. Fortunately, the winds were down during our October drive home, so we didn't get a real test of the new stuff. However, the upgrades made the unit stabler while we were parked. It didn't bounce so much when we walked around.

We love the space in our Reyo. Instead of using the table that comes with the unit, we use a couple of small tables in front of the front seats after they have been turned around to face the back of the unit. That works fine for meals and surfing the Internet.

Because the bed cushions that come with the unit are too firm for us, we use a 1" memory foam on top of the king bed. This is very comfortable and easy to roll up in the morning and roll back down with the bedding pretty intact at bed time. My chore. The bed setup is great because it gives you a lot of storage under the bed for bikes (from the outside door). But you need to be in good shape to toss the bed around every day and make it when you wash the sheets.

One problem on older models is opening the hood to fill the diesel emissions fluid tank. I have a long funnel, but pouring the liquid into a small bottle is the easiest way to get the job done. Be sure that you practice opening and closing the hood before you leave the dealer or whoever sells your unit to you. 2016 models have locks on the hood, which should make it a little easier to deal with.

We've never missed the driver side door. Indeed, the advantage of not having the door is that the driver gets the same inside storage and handy shelf as the passenger. And you get an extra outside storage cabinet, which is where I keep my tool box, funnels, latex gloves (for dumping sewage), etc.

We're helping friends (women) shop for a motorhome. We're very good at selling the Via (The Reyo name has been dropped.), but these tiny ladies so far prefer the Winnebago View or Itasca Navion (same thing). It drives better for them. They're going to drive our unit in a couple of weeks. We took them to drive a Q and a Navion last week.

Service on the Mercedes Sprinter is $400 to $700 a year for a full checkup, oil change, etc., which required every 10k miles, or annually for us. We always use a Mercedes dealer that sells the Sprinter vans. It takes special training and equipment to service these units. If you buy a RV with a Ford engine, you can find service in almost every town. I think we'll get another 10k miles on the tires this season. That would give us 44k.

I wouldn't mind getting a 34-foot diesel pusher, but DW loves to drive our Reyo and won't consider anything else. And we're getting to be a little old for a bigger unit that requires a toad.

Personally, if we had a dog or dogs, especially big ones, we'd get something bigger.

If anyone wants to see my full review, which is on another board, I can link to it if that is ok with the moderator. Ok, here is the link. If the moderator wants to edit it out, I understand. Bought 2013 Itasca Reyo T
Oldedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the good information on the Winnie Via. I'm considering a 2014 "P", which now have asking prices in the ~$80K's. Any further information on long term maintenance issues will be appreciated. /Yogge.
Yogisurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:15 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Yogge,

I sent you a pm with more details.

Anyone else interested in a nice Via,

We have our 2014 Via P on consignment at the dealer we bought it from in Va Beach, VA. [moderator edit]
Make them a nice offer and I wont have as many monthly payments. We've had no problems with it but we went overbudget on a new house and don't have much money for travel with the rv payments.

If you are interested, this has many useful mods. Mods Include: HWH levelers, auto generator transfer switch, Lippert cam lock sewer hose, black tank flush, and custom storage and cabinet mods. Pm me for more details

Norman
MDs Eastern Shore
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #32
2010 Winnebago Via 25r

2010 Via 25R

I have owned many motor homes and of all the one I love the best is my 2010 Via 25R that is on the 2009 Sprinter Mercedes/Dodge Chassis. By being a 2009 no Blue Def additive is required. I have it serviced at the local Dodge dealer in Enid, OK. I have added many things to it as it was my forever motor home. Regrettably I now have to sell it and it is for sale. [moderator edit]
Mbarton557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Keep in mind that more often than not we hear and see from people that have had problems with their units. Often the case is that we don’t hear from people that haven’t had any problems or very few. We bought a 2011 via with 22000 miles last June. I changed auto tranny rear end and diff fluids. All new filters. Checked batteries for water. Found that the house batteries were not being charged from engine driven alternator, wiper motor did not work on high speed porch light out, steps boarding light out, refig door seal split, diesel generator air/oil separator broken, horn not working, tires out of balance. Changed oil and filter. Bought good Sam service insurance policy and got new roof A//C unit. I now have a #1 glow plug out that will get fixed on the 12th. I figured that when I bought a 2011 there would be some issues and that’s why I bought the service plan to cover the big ticket items. All of these things have been fixed or replaced. I had the entire unit polished and ceramic coated. Unit runs good, everything works like it is supposed to. We are planning big trip out west this spring and summer. I use Mobil one 5-30 ESP meeting MB 229.52 spec. I change oil every 6 to 7 thousand miles and use Wix filters. Doing properly done maintenance and use only correct fluids can not be stressed enough. These are mechanical devices. There is going to be mechanical failures. That is the way it is.’
I am just as cheap as the next guy, but don’t be penny wise and pound foolish. So here is hoping we have a good trip and don’t put a rod through the sold of the block yes I also bought the towing insurance.
dsruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:55 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

One more thing

I sprung for the Hellwig anti roll bar. Understand it helps a lot. Will advise how it works out. Not trying to build a formula 1 racer here. Just trying to make it a little more stable.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:57 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

There is no limit to the amount money you can spend on one of these things.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

We bought ours last June. Took 5,000 trip. It is just the wife and I and a 10lbs dog. It does what we need . Can always spend more on bigger better (think Provost). So far it works good and is affordable. If you don't want trouble see to it that you have it properly serviced. Good luck
Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

This thread started in 2012, I wonder how many Via owners from earlier in the thread are still around and still happy with their purchase?

Tags
winnebago