Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing problem with 96 Suncruiser

I'm trying to winterize my 96 suncruiser and so far I've drained the fresh water tanks, opened all drain valves on all lines and connected up my air compressor to the city water inlet and blew out all the lines with 30-35 pounds of air pressure. Now the problem. I bought a Camco Antifreeze Hand Pump Kit and connected it up to the city water inlet and I can not get any antifreeze to pump in. I pulled so hard on the hand pump that the line going to the water inlet blew off the brass hose connector. I reconnected it with a hose clamp and pull as hard as I can but I still can not get any antifreeze in. I re-connected up my air compressor and it still works and blows air out any faucet. I don't get it.

Whats wrong??
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
I'm trying to winterize my 96 suncruiser and so far I've drained the fresh water tanks, opened all drain valves on all lines and connected up my air compressor to the city water inlet and blew out all the lines with 30-35 pounds of air pressure. Now the problem. I bought a Camco Antifreeze Hand Pump Kit and connected it up to the city water inlet and I can not get any antifreeze to pump in. I pulled so hard on the hand pump that the line going to the water inlet blew off the brass hose connector. I reconnected it with a hose clamp and pull as hard as I can but I still can not get any antifreeze in. I re-connected up my air compressor and it still works and blows air out any faucet. I don't get it.

Whats wrong??
The inlet is spring loaded, takes "X" pounds of pressure to open it to allow an outside source of water in, your hand pump may not have enough pressure. Does your hand pump squirt any water when unconnected and you try to pump, to prove your pump is not faulty or valved off?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just another thought, can you get city water to go thru the inlet, it maybe corroded shut.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Why don't you pour your antifreeze (about 5 gals.) into the freshwater tank and run the freshwater pump to get the antifreeze to all your faucets, toilet, and shower. You could also pull the hose going into the freshwater pump and put it directly into a gallon jug of antifreeze and turn the pump on. Either way you are letting the pump do the work and winterizing it at the same time. Just make sure when you get done to burp the city inlet to get the antifreeze over there.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

On my '99, there is an antifreeze hose connected between the water tank and the water pump, with a two way valve to select input to the water pump either from the water tank or the the antifreeze takeup hose. I don't know if this feature was avaible in '96.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If you blew out the lines why are you putting in antifreeze? I drain the hot water tank, grey and black tanks, blow the lines, antifreeze in all drains, run the house pump dry and remove the small filter cap on the pump.....never have had a problem.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I've got the hand pump working now. I don't know why it mattered but the city inlet's little rubber washer was one with a built in screen. I pulled that out and just put a regular hose washer in and it worked. Screen wasn't plugged up ether. That washer w/screen had been in there when we bought the MH 4 yrs ago. All I added was a pressure regulator to it and never had any problems. I had the pressure regulator removed from the beginning so I know that it had to be that washer w/screen that we between the regulator and the factory connection.

This is the 1st time that I've winterized it myself. I usually took it in and let the dealer do it.

I thought about what doing what StevieG said and just pouring the antifreeze down into the fresh water tank but my 96 has 2 fresh water tanks connected by a 1 1/2" hose and didn't want the antifreeze to go into the other tank from where the MH 12v pump is connected.

I have a RV Pump converter winterizing kit but I'd have to remove the pump itself to be able to get to the inlet hose from the fresh water tank and even then it's a tight area to try and work in. I'll probably try and connect that kit up next year and let the pump do the work.

garykk, As for just blowing out the lines, I've read where some do that but I just didn't want to take a chance with getting it all out as my compressor is only one of those little Craftsman 1hp, 3 gal compressors and it doesn't really have enough volume to do the job right. I should have never sold my 6hp, 60 gal upright compressor 7 yrs ago when we bought this stick house.

Thanks for all the responses.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Stan, My 97 has that feature. I wonder if 97 was the 1st year W offered it?
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #9

When I had Ours in storage without Power. I took a garden hose coiled up and with a small funnel Poured the antifreeze into the hose. as i recall it took about 2 gallons , then hooked it up to the motorhome the the house Faucet Turned the water on for a bit and filled the fresh water system with anti freeze. I will have some __-_- ask if i fill the tank... He should not owen a MH.. Life is good''' Better with friends.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suncruiser, winter