Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winter help please!

Hello - we have been owners of both an Airstream followed by Crusader Fifth wheel. We purchased a 2015 30’ Sunstar in this past June and had an amazing trip to Maine and Nova Scotia. Usually we drive south in October and leave the current rig there for the winter - returning to Canada for Christmas and driving just the car south in January. However, this year we were unable to drive in October - so we will have to drive the Sunstar (towing the car with kayaks and bikes) in a couple of weeks - ( we head south on I 75) - The rig is presently winterized . - Is dewinterizing whilst en route feasible - is the process involved - ( we have never had to do this ourselves) any help / tips / guides and or suggestions would be gratefully received - there is probably a u tube somewhere in the subject too ? But experienced help from actual owners would be much appreciated . Thank you so much
Ulsterscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

De-winterizing works best if you have access to city water and a sewer dump point.

I would stay winterized until I got far enough south that your overnight temps are right at or above freezing. I carry a few gallon jugs of water in the RV until I get to where I can de-winterize so I can use the toilet, brush teeth, etc.

Did the person that winterized use RV antifreeze "red stuff" ? If so you have to flush it out with plenty of water.

Your operator's manual has instructions on how to winterize, you just reverse to de-winterize.

To summarize, you have to make sure all the water valves are closed, the hot water heater bypass valve is set to normal, all the water drains are closed. Once you connect to water you'll open valves and burp all the air out of the system and flush out any red stuff.

Make sure you don't operate the hot water heater until you re-fill it with water or you will damage it. You may have a odor/taste water filter if so consult your operator's manual.

It takes an hour or less. Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you so much for your quick reply - v much appreciated and we will follow your advice - again v many thanks for taking the time to help ! Cheers
Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Many times you'll find that any built in water filters have been bypassed or replaced with a plug as the filter and the pink stuff don't get along so you'll have to find those and replace them after you get south and have the time. Other times, your only filter will be those external blue kind and it'll likely be empty and sitting in the wet compartment unattached.

If you see there's no pink stuff, that means that whoever did your winterizing just used air to blow out the water lines and dumped some pink stuff in the drains. This is the best situation because all you have to do is tighten the WH drain plug, hook up to shore water, go to each faucet in turn and turn it on until sputtering quits from the hot & cold lines. No flushing of the pink stuff out of the water lines required since this method doesn't use it. Check that the WH has water in it by opening the safety release on the tank (behind the external WH door) just for a second to see if some water sputters out. (Just for a second because you want to have some air in the top of the tank to prevent hammering).

I always removed and drained the water pump when I winterized so check that if some else did your winterizing.

I bought my first RV after the PO winterized it with the pink stuff, and I'll never use the pink stuff again. Awful stuff. Takes forever to get the taste out of the system. I've used air ever since many times over the 15 years I've been full timing and it works great.

Randy already covered the other important points well.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you so much Jim for your very prompt reply to our winter question - I am blown away to have such immediate help - and for sure now we are now better equipped for this de winterizing task. Many thanks and safe travels

Tags
winter