Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

While traveling to DC yesterday on I95 cruising along about 60mph i watched my air gauges slowly fill to about 130psi and then the rear gauge (red) would fall off to about 100 upon reaching about 100 it slowly rises back up to the 130 mark, sometimes the front (green) needle follows it sometimes it doesnt. Im still not real fluent on my new rides air system and was wondering if this was all normal operations with the air...This flux continued the whole trip cycling about every 2 minutes.... thanks!!
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

While traveling to DC yesterday on I95 cruising along about 60mph i watched my air gauges slowly fill to about 130psi and then the rear gauge (red) would fall off to about 100 upon reaching about 100 it slowly rises back up to the 130 mark, sometimes the front (green) needle follows it sometimes it doesnt. Im still not real fluent on my new rides air system and was wondering if this was all normal operations with the air...This flux continued the whole trip cycling about every 2 minutes.... thanks!!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our Journey has done the same thing, although not as frequently as what you explained, maybe once or twice a day. I can't tell if it's normal, I do know I have no air leaks. The MH can sit for a few weeks and when I start it up the air system is not even in alarm. It takes about a month of sitting to receive the low air pressure alarm upon startup.
A little off topic, your a brave man to drive
I-95 thru DC. I have made that trip about three times and after each trip it takes a few extra 'cold ones' to settle the nerves down.
I-95 from Richmond Va. thru DC has to be the 'worst'.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

well im not "into" DC yet, stopped at Quantico VA USMC base for two nites just short of DC.
Does anyone out there have any good articles explaining the basics of the air ride suspension systems and how they work? thanks...
Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Since this is a chassis related question I recommend you post your question to the Freightliner Chassis Forum and/or search/post at the Freightliner Chassis Owners Club.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Capt. Mav. I don't want to hijack the thread but we are going to DC in Sept-Oct. Please post any suggestions you may have based on your experiences that may help. Thanks.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Stay out of the tunnels (no propane), use the Francis Scott Key Bridge! We had air issues on our 04 Journey, found the ride height adjusters were bad/needed adjusting as well as a chaffed line by the genset.
aux_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #8

Hi Capt.

Being that both DH and I have CDLs with an air brake endorsement because we drove transit buses at one time, what you describe sounds almost normal although "every two minutes" sounds a bit more frequent than I notice.

The air gauges are primarily for monitoring the air brakes but other systems in a vehicle can work off the air system too. With buses, we not only had the air suspension system (air bags) but such things as the windshield wipers in some cases, the door systems, etc.

Here is an exceprt from "Newbiedrivers, Air Brakes 101" that explains exactly what you're describing. With buses, we often described it as the bus "farting" as it expelled the excess air. You'll hear that in your motorhome too.

"The Air Compressor pumps air into the air tanks (also referred to as reservoirs), supplying the compressed air to power the air brake system and other air operated devices. (Windshield wiper, window) It is lubricated by engine oil or its own oil supply and is gear driven. A Safety Valve is usually installed in the reservoir closest to the compressor. Its function is to protect the system from over pressurization and will release air when pressure reaches approximately 150 psi.

The Air Compressor Governor controls when the air compressor will pump air into the reservoirs. When air tank pressure rises to the set maximum, or the "cut out" level, (around 125 psi) the governor stops the compressor from pumping air. When the tank pressure falls to the "cut in" pressure (around 100 psi), the governor allows the compressor to start pumping again."
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

where do I find the specs to tell me what my proper ride height is? I found in my manuals where to take the measurement but no specs as to what those numbers are? 2000 Journey 36G, wanted to ck the ride height while i was searching for leaks... thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by capt mav:
where do I find the specs to tell me what my proper ride height is? I found in my manuals where to take the measurement but no specs as to what those numbers are? 2000 Journey 36G, wanted to ck the ride height while i was searching for leaks... thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look HERE

Despite the obligatory warnings it is a very simple adjustment to make--

ReM
Dick Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Cycling like that every two minutes sounds like an air leak to me. You should not be using much air as you drive along unless you are pumping the brakes frequently or the ride height mechanism is continually having to adjust. Neither is likely on that stretch of road. Your compressor is able to re-supply the air, but something is bleeding it right back down to 100 psi, causing the compressor to come on again.

Your air system provides air pressure to the brakes and the suspension (and probably a few other small things too). There is a built-in safety valve that prevents a suspension air leak from bleeding air away from the brake system. Basically the brakes require about 65-70 psi to operate (and that's where the low alarm alarm is triggered) and the system won't allow an air leak in the suspension to bleed air below that level.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

While parked with full air, how long does it take for your air to bleed down?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

John
I lose about 30 psi per day...thoughts,,, i crawled around under it with a soapy spray bottle and found nothing... hmmmm
Old 08-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

What happens, or how fast does the air bleed, when you "floor" the brake pedal with the engine off?

I know we had a leak at the gauge itself. One of the air gauges was cracked and was leaking air. You could just barely hear it leaking after shutting the engine off but if I planted my foot on the pedal firmly, it increased substantially.

The hissing was coming from inside the instrument panel and at first I thought it was the brake valve actuator itself that was leaking air until I really scrutinized where it was coming from.

The point being, an air leak could be anywhere.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote