Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Vista Rust

Please check out my coach and let me know what you think. Beware the photos are pretty ugly. The coach started showing problems 1,800 miles into owning it.

My 2011 WINNEBAGO VISTA 32K
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Wow, It looks like it was pulled out of a lake!
My f53 chassis is 14 years old and looks nothing like that.
How do older cars look from your area?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

There must have been a lot of salt covered roads encountered during the December del. It wouldn't be so bad if it was undercoated properly or rinsed off upon delivery. Sorry for your trouble and hope they do the right thing.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Looks to me like you have a lemon on your hands. That coach is going to have ongoing problems. I would not want to own it YMHO
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Surface rust on springs and other components is normal, but it looks like every weld and fitting is rusting, on the other Vista, even the hydraulic fittings were rusted along with electrical connections. This looks to meq like thses vehicles were sitting somewhere that got a bad storm, and left to ait for months. Maybe in a stroagea lot by the ocean or something. The chassis manufacturer is euqally to blame if not more to blame.

I would fight than one to the death, the other guy was just lucky he had that engine noise, or he would've been sitting with the same thing.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Looks like a lot of issues caused by salt on the road from the delivery. Any dealer should thoroughly rise any coach that comes through salt during delivery.

Ken
Old 03-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for taking the time to look at my coach. I would like your opinion.
If you read a commitment to quality and saw this written on it what would your thoughts be?
"a huge 12-stage automotive-style dip tank which electrocoats steel front passenger cages and chassis components with rust resistant paint."

To me reading it I assumed that the coach was coated with something to prevent rust and corrosion. call me crazy.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletruck View Post
Thank you all for taking the time to look at my coach. I would like your opinion.
If you read a commitment to quality and saw this written on it what would your thoughts be?
"a huge 12-stage automotive-style dip tank which electrocoats steel front passenger cages and chassis components with rust resistant paint."

To me reading it I assumed that the coach was coated with something to prevent rust and corrosion. call me crazy.
I think the word '12-stage' was misspelled and it should read '12-second'.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

agreed!!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

What a shame, I would certainly agree that that is a lemon.

My 20 year old Eagle we purchased has nothing like that, there is little rust on the under body of it at all.

I hope you can get satisfaction from the company.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
What a shame, I would certainly agree that that is a lemon.

My 20 year old Eagle we purchased has nothing like that, there is little rust on the under body of it at all.

I hope you can get satisfaction from the company.
we have looked at dozens of coaches all over the country that go in the snow, beach lakes, etc. none of them look like ours. You are very lucky.
We have an all original 1971 blazer they doesn't even come close to looking like this.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Documentation for final repair and repurchase are dated 11/8/2011. No mention of response to that. Why post this today? What has happened in the last 4 months.

Lots to this story that the OP is not telling us.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

There really isn't any more to say, I think the pictures speak for themselves. Along with all of the repairs that have been made. I just wanted peoples opinions of what they thought a 10 month old coach that lives in Georgia should look like.
Also if they would consider it normal, or acceptable.
I really feel like the coach was not properly coated and after sitting in a factory yard in the elements just throwing some paint over a condition that has already been started would be like putting a bandaid over skin cancer.

I just want some opinions of fellow owners.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #14

Yep, this unit was delivered from Forest City and driven through alot of Magnesium Chloride and the undercarriage sat at the dealers lot without cleaning for who knows how long. Salt Terminator or like will remove salt and Magnesium Chloride, as water alone will NOT remove it.

I use Salt Terminator on the undercarriage of mine before AND after a trip on these salty roads up here in the Rockies in the Winter. My undercarriage looks as good as the day I bought it, and has no rust like shown in these pictures.

Leaving salt/Mag Chloride on the unprotected metal parts for a month or so will start the Cancer, and it wont stop!

The dealer obviously didn't wash the undercarriage when it arrived at the dealership!!!!!!
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I went out and looked under my 2011 Vist 35F that is on a Chassis built in November 2010 and the coach built in December of 2010 so it was delivered also in the winter but who knows what the weather was like. I would have to say that with all of the rust showing both on Ford factory parts and Winnebago installed parts, it's nothing that happened in the factory. I drove mine to Florida in mid-January an am still down here. The chassis parts all look OK with a little surface rust here and there, the coach additions such as welds and the threaded ends of non-plated bolts do have rust and some bare angle iron used behind the grill also has some rust. I'm going to plat it safe and when I get home I'll take the unit out where I can mix some light oil and kerosene in a pump spray tank and spray everything suspect down with it, you might want to think about that also. It is a shame that your Vista got that way but it must have been something environmental since it's on both Ford and Winnebago parts, in Ohio they spray brine water on the roads and that stuff gets into everything under our vehicles and it is not that easy to say I'll just hose if off, in freezing weather that is difficult to do and it's also hard to get under and spray everywhere.

Nick
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

This is typical rust from being driven on road salted roads. We had a 2008 HR Vacationer that we had purchased new in the spring of 2009. the dealer must had taken it to a winter show and drove on salted roads and man did we have problems with rust after about a year. All the compartment locks were froze , had to replace the alternator it was rusted , of course it was out of manufactures warranty , but we did have a extended warranty that took care of it. So if you can still get your dealer to take care of it go for it. I would say he's behind your problem
Old 03-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I'm thinking I won't drive my motorhome in the winter with any salt on the road. That corrosion is just awful!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Bubbletruck, please explain this. Your story starts out that you wheeled and dealed for 4 months with camping world, and this is an excerpt from your story

To pick up what we thought was a killer deal for the motorhome of our dreams.

You mentioned the words, repurchase, and said you picked it up in february 2012. Are all these records from some other owner? I talking about the numerous 2011 records for repairs that look like they were all due to corrosion.

If you got a killer deal, did you make sure it wasn't previously repaired? Did you carfax the vehicle, even thugh it was suppossed to be new?Did you look under the hood? Did you look at the battery box? I felt bad for you and now I'm just confused, especially about the feb 2012 pickup date?

The whole story seems very out of sync, and I hope the point is just to warn others away from 2011 vista. I'm truly sorry for your troubles.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Bubbletruck, please explain this. Your story starts out that you wheeled and dealed for 4 months with camping world, and this is an excerpt from your story

To pick up what we thought was a killer deal for the motorhome of our dreams.

You mentioned the words, repurchase, and said you picked it up in february 2012. Are all these records from some other owner? I talking about the numerous 2011 records for repairs that look like they were all due to corrosion.

The whole story seems very out of sync, and I hope the point is just to warn others away from 2011 vista. I'm truly sorry for your troubles.

I am sorry, I see what you are saying, Feb 29, 2012 is when I blogged on the website about the coach. All the dates in the website are when I wrote them on it. That is why the date is there. We purchased the coach on December 13, 2010 brand new. We live in Georgia and made the 5 hour trip to pick it up in South Carolina. I saw it on the internet and decided to negotiate through emails. Having never had any problems with our old class C when we pulled up and saw this one clean, shinny, and new we didn't think to crawl under it and check it out in 20 degree weather with two small kids. I have purchased several brand new vehicles in my life and have never crawled under any of them. Never had a reason too. The killer deal was because it was the end of the year and they were trying to clear out inventory as most businesses do at that time.

The first service repair we had done on it was Feb 11, 2011, 2 months into owning it. The teeth and gears on the slide were so badly rusted they just broke off. We really didn't know what to think at the time. Like everyone else we though a little rust here or there is probably normal. We really didn't notice the severity of the situation until cummins serviced the jack solenoids because they had completely corroded off inside the motor and that was just a few months later. After the generator fell apart we realized that this was a big problem. Way more than just normal wear and tear.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, thanks for clearing it up. My opinion for what it is worth, this unit was not merely drivwn in salt, or not properly dipped at the factory, there is some kind of corrosion here that can't be explained by anything that I know of. It almost looks like some kindof exposure to acid.

Good luck with your quest, anything less than a complete refund or brand new replacement would be a travesty.

Tags
rust, winnebago