Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Wow...I can't believe people spend so much time documenting & complaining about rust rather than get a wire brush & a can of whatever and spend the same amount of time to make the problem go away.

Everyone gets some rust on the underside...unless the coach never travels much. Such an easy maintenance item...would everyone bitch that their oil got dirty or windshield got dirty?

Motorhomes aren't Toyota's...they are more like sailboats...haul em out every once in awhile.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o
Wow...I can't believe people spend so much time documenting & complaining about rust rather than get a wire brush & a can of whatever and spend the same amount of time to make the problem go away.

Everyone gets some rust on the underside...unless the coach never travels much. Such an easy maintenance item...would everyone bitch that their oil got dirty or windshield got dirty?

Motorhomes aren't Toyota's...they are more like sailboats...haul em out every once in awhile.
WOW! So basically what you're saying is, bassmaster should've taken home his brand-new Motor home, and then proceeded to spend the rest of his spring break vacation with a wire brush and a can of "whatever", working to remove all the rust and corrosion before he got to enjoy it with his family. I guess in your eyes the bitching would be better served underneath the new coach scrubbing off the rust.

I would like you to go back and look at his pictures, and my pictures, and let me know where you think we should begin with this wire brush and can of "whatever".

I find it crazy that you believe a wire brush and a can of "whatever" is going to make this problem "go away". Or that when buying a brand-new motor home you should be expected to crawl underneath it and scrub all of the rust off of it from being delivered from the factory. We are not talking about surface rust or corrosion that makes our motor home appear ugly or unsightly. We are talking about the kind of rust that can make this thing literally fall off the frame. Structural welds that are literally just chipping off in large chunks.

But hey- opinions are like A**holes- everyone's got one. And I guess this is yours.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #43
Winnebago Camper

I might be mistaken here as this is on at least one other forum, but the OP states that the problem started showing up at 1,800 miles. Based on that alone, the question comes up did the unit go through something caustic on the way to the dealer or did it happen after the OP took delivery. There are many chemical spills out there that the unit could have been driven through either before or after delivery. There are people that will dump on the roadways or anywhere else chemicals that are costly to dispose of, this could have happened here, it could also have been driven on a road covered with brine solution used in some states to prevent black ice from forming, it could be a number of things. My point is that without seeing the condition within a few days of delivery, there is no way to show or prove who is to blame here, it could well be neither Winnebago, the dealer, or the OP but someone who chose to dump something on the road. It sure looks like something stronger than road salt did all that damage so soon, especially the slide rails. Since this post started, I keep looking at my Vista for anything like what appears on the photos and it just isn't there. I don't think this will ever be resolved, and that is a real shame. If this happened to me, my words would not be as kind as the OP's, but I wouldn't really know who to blame it on. I sure hope you get some satisfaction from someone, maybe if you, the dealer, and Winnebago all take some responsibility, you can get at least some of it taken care of. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Nick
2011 Vista 35F
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletruck View Post
WOW! So basically what you're saying is, bassmaster should've taken home his brand-new Motor home, and then proceeded to spend the rest of his spring break vacation with a wire brush and a can of "whatever", working to remove all the rust and corrosion before he got to enjoy it with his family.
Ya...in the long run that is the smart move...or do it when he gets home. If welds are falling away in chunks that has nothing to do with rust...might have something to do with exaggeration?

Anyway surface rust turns into pits if people are posting rather than scraping...get it done!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

So grandma and grandpa who are retired and can barely get around are supposed to get under their new $150,000 baby and inspect, chip and paint? Winnebago must pay you well to think like that.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
Ya...in the long run that is the smart move...or do it when he gets home. If welds are falling away in chunks that has nothing to do with rust...might have something to do with exaggeration?

Anyway surface rust turns into pits if people are posting rather than scraping...get it done!
Let me get this straight. If you had been buying that brand new motorhome with that amount of rust underneath, you would have finalized the sale then gone home and began scrubbing rust? Better you than me. I want my brand new stuff to be BRAND NEW.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

If it's stored on soil or gravel in a high water table area it will look exactly like that. It helps to store it on a concrete pad poured over a plastic vapor stop. The ground water evaporation will cause what you're seeing.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Let me get this straight. If you had been buying that brand new motorhome with that amount of rust underneath, you would have finalized the sale then gone home and began scrubbing rust? Better you than me. I want my brand new stuff to be BRAND NEW.

Naw I would have/did buy a rust free coach. I'm just saying that addressing the issues (fixing) is no big deal. Better that than bitch about it for months & the problem gets worse in the mean time.

Anyway my opinion is not too popular so I will leave it at that...I hope both people with under carriage rust problems do something about it rather than threatening to sue Obama or whatever.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
Naw I would have/did buy a rust free coach. I'm just saying that addressing the issues (fixing) is no big deal. Better that than bitch about it for months & the problem gets worse in the mean time.

Anyway my opinion is not too popular so I will leave it at that...I hope both people with under carriage rust problems do something about it rather than threatening to sue Obama or whatever.
Well ok then. I have to admit, I'd probably be under there trying to do something about it, too. I just hate to hear of people spending their hard-earned $$ and get short changed, which seems to happen a lot with RVs.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust, winnebago