Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Vista 32 YE Issues

I have two ongoing issues with my new Vista.

The first is an ongoing check engine (or check gas cap) error. This only seems to happen when we run the V10 engine after using the generator. It has been to a Ford dealer twice and they said system is working. They even replaced the purge valve on the tank just to see if it stopped. Anyone know if there is a valve between the generator and the tank? Any thoughts?

The second issue is with the dash heat blowing warm air all the time. If it is 50 degrees out and I turn off the heat and just blow what should be fresh outside air it is still warm, not hot. This happens when I go over 55 MPH and the engine RPMs are higher. This also impact the dash AC which blows cold when stopped but at highway speeds it is only cool to warm. I’ve had t in the dealer 3 times and they said it is working “as designed”. Any other Vista owners experiencing this?

Thanks.

Steve
Luv2fishcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did the Ford dealer tell you what fault code they read when you got the yellow check light? It could be something else besides a loose gas cap code. Personally I get the check light due to intermittent knock sensor faults.

FYI with engine off you can switch off the chassis battery disconnect switch and it will clear the fault light for certain faults if it is something like driving with gas cap off and you now have the gas cap back on again.

= = = = =

The Dash Air is a Winnebago system not a Ford system so hopefully you did not try to get a Ford dealer to work on it. You may want to try a different Winnebago dealer or Winnebago Factory Service in Forest City while under warranty. It's not working as designed if the air does not change to outside ambient with system on vent with AC off and temp dial set to full cold when driving at speed. The air coming out the vents even with those settings will become warmer when engine is hot and you are stopped in traffic congestion, etc, as the air being pulled into the system from behind the front cap becomes hot due to the heat coming off the radiators. You just have to switch on the AC to compensate and sometimes even use Max AC to stop pulling in air from behind the cap and draw air from inside (Max AC draws air from the floor in front of the passenger seat).
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Did the Ford dealer tell you what fault code they read when you got the yellow check light? It could be something else besides a loose gas cap code. Personally I get the check light due to intermittent knock sensor faults.

FYI with engine off you can switch off the chassis battery disconnect switch and it will clear the fault light for certain faults if it is something like driving with gas cap off and you now have the gas cap back on again.

= = = = =

The Dash Air is a Winnebago system not a Ford system so hopefully you did not try to get a Ford dealer to work on it. You may want to try a different Winnebago dealer or Winnebago Factory Service in Forest City while under warranty. It's not working as designed if the air does not change to outside ambient with system on vent with AC off and temp dial set to full cold when driving at speed. The air coming out the vents even with those settings will become warmer when engine is hot and you are stopped in traffic congestion, etc, as the air being pulled into the system from behind the front cap becomes hot due to the heat coming off the radiators. You just have to switch on the AC to compensate and sometimes even use Max AC to stop pulling in air from behind the cap and draw air from inside (Max AC draws air from the floor in front of the passenger seat).
The code for the engine is P0455 - Evaporative emission system leak detected.

This code only comes on after I get the "check gas cap" error message on the Ford display several times. I have can reset the "check gas cap" message using the Ford reset button. I also have a code reader so I can reset the check engine light if needed.

As far as the heat/ac issue I figured the same thing. I have had it at two different camping world winnebago dealers and no luck on getting it repaired. Each time they say there was a loose wire and "it is working as designed". Since I live in Virginia it is a long trip to get it fixed. I have a trip planned in June so I might just find a way to get it looked at when I pass close to Forest City.

Thanks
Luv2fishcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:35 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Our heat/AC system does the same thing. Looks like the area where the inlet air is located draws in engine heat. OK in cold weather, not so much in the summer though.

Plans are to 3D print an interface to attach to that inlet then run a pair of flexible ducts to the grill area for cooler inlet air. Can't take credit for the idea, I read it on another forum.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We had a problem with the "check gas cap" and found out it was the gas cap. We had put on a locking cap and it leaked as soon as we went back to the non-locking no problem. Did you perhaps change gas caps? We never looked to see if we had any codes.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a possible vacuum leak on the HVAC controls. They are a bear to track down sometimes.

Don't just assume the evaporative emissions code is a loose/faulty gascap. There could be a small crack in the charcoal canister or a problem with the purge valve and/or hose going to the intake manifold.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago