Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Vista 27P Vs Newmar Baystar Sport 2702

Investigating our first motorhome purchase and have narrowed the list to the Winnebago Vista 27P and the Newmar Baystar Sport 2702.
Would be interested in hearing from owners of the Vista 27P to see if they looked at the Newmar, and why they chose the Winnebago over the Newmar or the other way around.
Thank you in advance for any assistance in the decision making process.
aftergolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

All I can say is take them both out for a good test drive...make sure the floor plans will work for you and make the choice..I will add that our Vista needed $$$$ to sort the drivability / suspension (swaybars) and now the Winnie is the perfect option for us..The build quality on both units leave a little to be desired even though they look pretty nice at first glance, but that is the RV accepted practice.Be prepared to do mild maintenance / repairs as you enjoy the camping experience and welcome to the great outdoors.
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Both of the ones we have looked at are 2022 models and both are built on the same Ford F53 chassis with the V8 engine. I would expect them to drive the same way, but don't know for sure.
aftergolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes, l would have to believe the new rigs to be very similar in handling and drivability.I know nothing about the new 2022 models so assuming they both have identical chassis the choice would be to make the DW ultra happy with furniture color, paint and floor plan.We discovered very quickly that compromise sometimes is a priority when camping...which in laymans terms means that my dear wife made a good choice with the Winnie.
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Looks like the Vista has a better bathroom, a much better TV location, and a bigger bed but it looks like the bed may have to fold up if the slide is in. I would try to find out the OCCC (Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity) for each one. Although both are Ford F-53's, it looks like the Newmar is on a 20,500 lb chassis and the Vista is on a 18,000 lb one. Also the Newmar has 50% more fresh water capacity which might be important if you plan to boondock. Both are very limited on counter space if you like to cook.

We found out in our search that you always have to make some kind of compromises. Good luck on your decision!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We purchased a 2020 Sunstar 27PE new 6 months ago (same thing as a Vista) from our local dealer and have put almost 3,000 miles on it. I can't comment on the Newmar as I have never seen one (except in pictures/online reviews).

Having owned some Class A's before we knew what we wanted, and what were the deal breakers. There were three things we had to have, no compromises allowed: first was a king sized bed, second was a tv directly opposite the viewing location, and third was a 50 amp service with two air conditioners. Everything else was negotiable. The 27PE had all of those things plus a decent sized shower. On the down side the bed had to be folded when the slide was in, the kitchen counter space was limited, and the cab radio sucked like nothing has ever sucked before.

Quality is a crap shoot when it come to Class A's, regardless of what you buy. You might get lucky, you might not. Chances are you will be somewhere in between.

I have done a number of upgrades to overcome some shortcomings: the cab radio has been replaced (along with the internal speakers), a porcelain toilet has replaced that plastic abomination, tv above the dinette replaced by a smart one, and some mods to the jackknife sofa to make it a little more comfortable.

My advice is to make up your mind what is important for you to have, see which model meets those requirements the best, and not sweat the rest. Whatever you get you are likely to be spending more money/effort/time post purchase with upgrades/mods.

Cheers
6cwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Generally the best Chassis is highest priority, including suspension and ride and handling THEN all the other things you want !

GL!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #8
Site Team

If the Newmar has the heavier chassis then it would be the better choice logically… if logic plays any part in RV buying decisions.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cwayne View Post
We purchased a 2020 Sunstar 27PE new 6 months ago (same thing as a Vista) from our local dealer and have put almost 3,000 miles on it. I can't comment on the Newmar as I have never seen one (except in pictures/online reviews).

Having owned some Class A's before we knew what we wanted, and what were the deal breakers. There were three things we had to have, no compromises allowed: first was a king sized bed, second was a tv directly opposite the viewing location, and third was a 50 amp service with two air conditioners. Everything else was negotiable. The 27PE had all of those things plus a decent sized shower. On the down side the bed had to be folded when the slide was in, the kitchen counter space was limited, and the cab radio sucked like nothing has ever sucked before.

Quality is a crap shoot when it come to Class A's, regardless of what you buy. You might get lucky, you might not. Chances are you will be somewhere in between.

I have done a number of upgrades to overcome some shortcomings: the cab radio has been replaced (along with the internal speakers), a porcelain toilet has replaced that plastic abomination, tv above the dinette replaced by a smart one, and some mods to the jackknife sofa to make it a little more comfortable.

My advice is to make up your mind what is important for you to have, see which model meets those requirements the best, and not sweat the rest. Whatever you get you are likely to be spending more money/effort/time post purchase with upgrades/mods.

Cheers
I have the same unit as you and had the same criteria about the bed and location of the tv. Curious what you did to make the sofa more comfortable and what you replaced the tv with.

Are you still sleeping on the same horrible mattress or did you replace that too? If so, with what?
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

1. TV replaced with a Vizio 32" Full HD (1080p) smart tv from Best Buy. Goy it on sale for ~$180.

2. A couple of things for the sofa. Added a removable centre arm rest & and 3D printed some cup holders that also attach to the outer arm rests to lock them in place. Picked up two collapsible ottomans from Amazon:

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010U5LTTK...roduct_details)

It's not a theater seating replacement set up, but much better than what Winnebago provided. If you check out my upgrades thread you will see some pictures.

3. We find the mattress quite comfortable (our dogs agree). So no intention to change it!

Cheers,
Wayne
6cwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago