Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winnebago Vista 27N Primary 12 Volt Diagram

I created this reference document for my 2015 Vista 27N , thought it might be useful to others. Winnebago does not provide this type of drawing in motorized RVs, they seemed to stop after the 2013 model year. FYI.

Note that at least in Vistas, Winnebago feeds the Slide Circuit Breakers and the Lippert Jacks from the Chassis 12 Volt side, and feeds the Onan Generator Starter from the Coach 12 Volt side. This is why it's highly recommended to run the engine when leveling and deploying the slides, as it give those systems 14 volts to operate from vs. only 12 volts from battery alone.

The major mods I have made to my Vista are adding 2 additional coach batteries, inverter upgrade and relocation, converter/charger upgrade and relocation, and a solar system. Also added another 12 volt circuit breaker block to feed a small 2nd fanless inverter for my Sat TV DVR and an air horn system.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vista 27N Primary Electrical Diagram.jpg
Views:	4475
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	173776  
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This is great Randy and thanks for the tip on the jacks and slideout, makes sense.

On my 2016 I wish the "cigarette" lighter was the chassis battery so I could trickle charge from there BUT it's attached to coach battery. I might add one up front on my dash that goes to the chassis but need to find where to attach.

200ah FLAB - what brand and were you able to fit them in under the stairs?
Old 06-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I used the Interstate 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries sold at Costco, they fit under the Vista stairs just fine have the same size footprint as the OEM NAPA batteries are are taller.

In my 2015 Vista, the center of dash power outlet is fed from a Ford F53 fuse that is powered with Ignition switch in ON or ACC position. The passenger side power outlets that are under the lift up writing desk are on Coach battery power.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:03 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Very Nice! Thank you. Somewhere, I would like to read up on the function of the battery isolator. Do you have any resources?

It's physical location is behind the resettable fuses in the driver's side compartment, right?
Old 06-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Very Nice! Thank you. Somewhere, I would like to read up on the function of the battery isolator. Do you have any resources?

It's physical location is behind the resettable fuses in the driver's side compartment, right?
I thought I would check that location but the drawing info seems to be getting a bit more shaky the further I look.
Looking for the physical location on the parts catalog, I can get 110 AC info but when going to the 12 volt for chassis info like for the battery solenoid, etc. I get that the link is bad. Unable to look at more than the roof and inside but not the parts we need most often!
I would agree with your guess that it is behind a breaker panel on the driver's side but I could not verify that.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My 2015 Vista 27N and 2016 Vista LX models used Precison Circuits 00-10021-000 Battery Isolation Managers. This consisted of a 225 Amp Power Contactor with a plastic encased circuit board mounted on the side of it. Mounted in the space behind the Circuit Breaker Panel. Can't say what Winnebago is doing now or which other units have it.

Key Features:
1. Control is integral to Isolator Relay for simpler installation
a. Waterproof, IEC 60529, IP66 IP67, Salt Spray ASTM B 117 96 Hours Salt Spray
b. Approved for use in Battery Compartments
c. 225 Amps Continuous
2. Microprocessor based
a. Monitors battery state over long periods of time
b. Not just simply voltage dependent
3. Bi-Directional Charging
a. Charge Coach Battery when Alternator is charging Chassis Battery
b. Charge Chassis Battery when Converter is charging Coach Battery
4. Isolate Batteries to prevent discharging or overcharging of Batteries, or when neither battery is being charged
5. Prevents
a. Equalization cycles from Damaging Chassis Battery, by isolating at voltages over 15.5Volts
b. Annoying clicking of Isolator Relay by monitoring battery state over longer periods of time, not just simply voltage dependent. (Present controls that turn on at 13.3V and turn off at 12.8V cycle every 20 seconds when the charger goes into float mode)
c. Overcharging of Coach Battery during long drives by shutting down every hour and only turning back on when Coach Battery needs charging
d. Overcharging of Chassis Battery during long periods of Shore Power by shutting down every hour and only turning back on when Chassis Battery needs charging.
e. Generator/Charger and Alternator Interference by shutting down when Ignition and Generator are sensed.
6. Provides Emergency Start with Dash Switch
7. Runs Cooler using Less Power.
a. 100F cooler than competition.
b. Uses only 4Watts of power versus 25Watts.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Brilliant. I finally understand this system better. Thanks again, Randy.

Have you figured out a method to test the dash switch that boosts the chassis battery? It looks like it goes through this BIM. I have never had a low chassis battery, so I haven't had to use it. Voltages on both banks stay the same when I push the button.

Maybe I should have entered 4,8,15,16,23 and 42...
Old 06-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've never used the dash switch, but I would not be surprised if the ignition on needs to have 12 volts on it for the boost switch to operate the power contactor.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I thought I would check that location but the drawing info seems to be getting a bit more shaky the further I look.
Looking for the physical location on the parts catalog, I can get 110 AC info but when going to the 12 volt for chassis info like for the battery solenoid, etc. I get that the link is bad. Unable to look at more than the roof and inside but not the parts we need most often!
I would agree with your guess that it is behind a breaker panel on the driver's side but I could not verify that.
The battery Isolator is definitely behind that breaker panel. I know because I had to change it out for different one when I switched to lithium coach batteries. It was a pain in the anatomy to get access to change it out.

Tags
12 volt, winnebago