Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Everything Winnebago Via

I cannot find much information on the Via, so I thought I would start this thread so we can have an area for tips, tricks, complaints, suggestions, etc. I bought a 2017 Winnebago Via 25P last year and I have been chasing problems ever since. I would love to know if other Via owners are seeing the same issues or if mine is truly a lemon!

I have taken my rig in 5 times over the first year and each time they have worked on the dinette which continues to not function properly, the driver’s door because the glass chatters once I reach 60 mph and they have given up on fixing that, and the hot water heater which has does not have enough pressure to activate the instant hot water heater and they cannot get that fixed. Finally the bathroom sliding door keeps getting stuck because the roller wheels on the top keep breaking off.

I am beyond frustrated with my Via. I love the Mercedes chassis and the high gas mileage but I cannot trust the rig to take it out boondocking. I can only go places where there is power and water available. I am very disappointed that Winnebago quality is so bad. I owned a Tiffin Phaeton 40’ before downsizing to this Via and I never had any recurring issues in over 3 years of ownership. I am thinking of getting rid of this and switching to a more reliable brand. Regardless, if anyone else has stories to share about their Via, I would love to hear them!
Ray Agrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Flying Dutchman

I have the identical make and model. I had the wall bracket replaced on the dinnette table and it now works fine. I also suffer from the driver's door noise. I had the bathroom door re-hung but no problem with the rollers. Trying to figure out how to modify this door.

I also had problems with the Chassis battery going dead. Turns out the stairs were wired to this battery along with a Mercedes module causing drain on both house and chassis batteries. Changed the stair connection to the house batteries and replaced the module. So far, all is good.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Via

We have a 2012 Via 25R which we purchased used approximately 18 months ago. Our previous motorhome was a Cortez which we owned for three years and sold approximately 45 years ago due to our family outgrowing it. We have since had airplanes and yachts and did not purchase another motorhome until we purchased our Via. After much investigation we chose the 25R due to the bathroom placement in the rear.

We made the decision to purchase used as Winnebago stopped producing the 25R in 2013. We absolutely love our Via. We have really had no significant problem, except for the DEF tank problem that required replacement. It was replaced by our local Mercedes dealer under warranty.

We have had the opportunity to visit three different Mercedes dealerships, one in Phoenix, AZ prior to purchase to have the Via inspected, one in San Antonio, TX during our travels for an oil change, and one in Wilsonville, OR for the DEF tank replacement. All personnel at each dealership were knowledgeable, courteous, and provided the needed service efficiently.

Unfortunately I believe you got a “lemon.” I hope you are able to have everything fixed and that your Via becomes the motorhome you wished for. Ours is just what we wanted.
MaryKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

2015 25P. Purchased pre-owned 2? yrs ago. Now with 38k miles.

I just ordered my 2nd (counting original, the 3rd) inverter.
Entrance door blinds just went kaput.

Upper kitchen cabinet at wall over stove is sagging.

Other that those few items, very happy with the 25P.

Items I feel were design issues:

The small/fixed LP tank which will not accept an auxiliary connection hose.
The lower cargo doors should have swing doors, not flip up lids.
Lack of ladder.

I am a little miffed that they discontinued the Via with very little modernization over the model years. i.e. Simple changes like reading lights, auxiliary USB ports, 6 seat dinette and such as were made available in the Trend ( also now discontinued).
PartPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Via 2017 25t

We purchased our VIA last year. Love her! Easy for me to drive and so far, only problem is the wind whistle. Drivers side. I think it’s coming from the top of the post where the windshield attaches. Two mechanics say they fixed it. Nope!! Still whistles!! Shrill!! Anyone else have this problem?
Birdie2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Is it just ours, or do other Via's have a "whiny" wiper motor noise?
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If you lose one of the black plastic weep hole covers on the cab side windows you will have wind noise. Check to see if you still have those. They are simple to replace.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

One big item that stands out on almost all complaints I see about RV is that they are almost all from folks who do not adapt well to the difference in RV versus cars or houses. They are very different and therefore we need to treat them different if we want them to last.
A lightweight portable house that goes down the road at 70 MPH without issues is just not going to be easy to build and then we want them cheap! So we have to learn to adapt and work through the problems as we find them.
Kind of like me complaining to the wife when my knees pop because they are getting old. I've looked at the other options and think I will stick with this one!
Okay to complain--- just don't expect to solve the problems you get.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank You PartPlan, for your advice on weep holes. I never knew they were there!! As for “complaints” rant from the other member....asking for advice is NOT “complaining”!!!
Old 03-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Fresh water tank drain

I wanted to drain my fresh water tank before this snow storm. The tank shows it’s half full. I pulled the handle that indicates “fresh water drain” but it only pulls out about an inch and a trickle came out (not even enough to run down the driveway! Is the handle mechanism stuck? I’ve thought about driving around to see if more will drain that way. Has anyone had this problem on their VIA?
Old 05-07-2020, 07:23 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Room to get around with slideout retracted Via 25R

With the slideout retracted can you?
Open the refrigerator door all the way?
Easily make it to the bathroom?
Can someone post a photo of the walkway with the slideout retracted?
Dan Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Fridge sits across from middle bathroom. I can easily open fridge doors and bathroom door. My foldout couch sits in the slideout. A curtain closes off the “bedroom” in the back. The “living room” area has the couch, with the swivel captains chairs (drivers and passenger.) I have two small footstools (more storage.) I’ll try and take some pictures for you.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I just went and measured. For some it might be snug, but the MINIMUM clearance between the wardrobe and bed to get to the bathroom is 15" with the slide out retracted/in.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

The one I am asking about is a 25R, I think you have a 25T Thank you anyway.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

You have a 25R or a 25P? We are looking at the 25R where the bath is in the very rear. Thank you. Our current MH is configured like a 25P. The problem with ours is the bed is tall for my wife to get in and out of and the 25R has a bed that is in the slide out with the sofa. Thank you again.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Monroe shocks

I had six news tires replaced a month ago and was told the rear shocks were leaking. I was at a truck stop in Nevada and live in AZ. The two inside rear tires were blown. So I had new Monroe Heavy Duty shocks ($374) installed ($100 labor). Less than 100 miles later, I heard what sounded like rear tires blowing out. Pulled over, new tires all looked great. I just took it in for an oil change yesterday, they tell me the drivers side rear shock is leaking and needs to be replaced. They don’t carry Monroe but can install if I get them on my own. I was told the Monroe’s installed in Nevada have a lifetime warranty. Have y’all ever had a problem with your shocks? What kind of shocks do you have? I drive a VIA, 2017, 25t. I’m 73 yrs old with a husband that has beginning Alzheimer’s and I traveled solo to Nevada. I’m frustrated to say the least. Any advice?
Old 11-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

For those with the noisy driver's door, I fixed mine by slipping this behind the weather strip on the coach side. Slips right in, no glue, 2 minute job https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It stopped most of the wind noise and also stopped the door from "thumping" when on rough roads. I also took the door apart and fixed the asinine way they stuck the cable sleeve in between the door skin and the glass so it rubs on the glass going up and down and slows the window down. There is plenty of room to secure it outside of the door behind the trim panel. 2 plastic clamps, self tapping screws and 10 minutes. Lastly I got a longer strap for the door so it can open far enough so that I can now get in and out without turning sideways. There is plenty of room before it will hit the mirror, don't know why they made it so short. I am looking to put a grab handle there as well.
Been working on dash rattles all week, will post up all my fixes eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no good.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	175876   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixed.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	175877  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tucked in.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	175878  
Old 11-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie2017 View Post
I had six news tires replaced a month ago and was told the rear shocks were leaking. I was at a truck stop in Nevada and live in AZ. The two inside rear tires were blown. So I had new Monroe Heavy Duty shocks ($374) installed ($100 labor). Less than 100 miles later, I heard what sounded like rear tires blowing out. Pulled over, new tires all looked great. I just took it in for an oil change yesterday, they tell me the drivers side rear shock is leaking and needs to be replaced. They don’t carry Monroe but can install if I get them on my own. I was told the Monroe’s installed in Nevada have a lifetime warranty. Have y’all ever had a problem with your shocks? What kind of shocks do you have? I drive a VIA, 2017, 25t. I’m 73 yrs old with a husband that has beginning Alzheimer’s and I traveled solo to Nevada. I’m frustrated to say the least. Any advice?
These are heavy rigs and the shocks and struts get worked hard, I know my shocks are shot as well. I'm going with tuned Fox 2.5 shocks, they get good marks over on the Sprinter forum.

Before you do anything though get a second opinion on your present shocks.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Brian, Thank you for the pictures (I’m a visual learner.) Good news on the shocks...Monroe stood by their warranty and will pay to have the bad one replaced. Everything is a new learning experience for me and I appreciate your advice sooooo much��
Old 11-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
These are heavy rigs and the shocks and struts get worked hard, I know my shocks are shot as well. I'm going with tuned Fox 2.5 shocks, they get good marks over on the Sprinter forum.

Before you do anything though get a second opinion on your present shocks.
I think Bigb has the correct answer! It takes a different attitude when we move into new areas and just taking it to the shop is not the best one.
Surprise! There are folks out there who base their business on other folks not knowing anything about the problem!
You have to know when they are telling it straight as the industry magazines are full of ways to increase the profits! Next time you have the car in for service and the magazines are laying out on the table, stop to check to see if there isn't a story there about how to increase sales!
But better still is to do like Bigb and figure it out, so you can do the fix.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago