Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Tour holding tank capacities

I was looking at the specs for a 2009 Tour WD and saw that the gray tank only holds 54 gallons, but the black tank holds 70 gallons. Is this information correct? If so, is there a way to pump gray water into the black tank?
ouraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Answering your question, "If so, is there a way to pump gray water into the black tank? " can be found at this URL. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/addi...ing-41398.html

In this previous post we beat this subject to death so think you'll find enough alternatives. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Gray water pumping

Thanks Steve, the pump looks like an easy way to do the job. Are the hole sizes in the black tank flush system big enough that they won't get stopped up by debris in the gray water?

Bill
ouraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I noticed the gray and black tank capacities 2 years ago and questioned Winnebago directly.
The tanks numbers are correct. They changed the plumbing and the lavatory in the bath drains to the black tank. This gives you a little more capacity, the shower drains to the gray tank. You can check the exact plumbing diagram on the Winnebago site. "Resources" tab, scroll down to Manuals and Diagrams, then Plumbing diagrams, select the year.
Seems strange that the "TD" has a 117 gallon gray tank
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Bill, everybody is different in their approach to waste storage and the mixing of it. So I am NOT trying to tell you my way is the way, just this is how I do it and why. I added the mixing valve that connects to the waste output where the 3" waste hose is normally connected. I prefer not to mix the black into the gray and typically what I do is over fill the gray and dump it into the black tank, stopping the transfer before the black can back fill into the gray tank. I don't like to mix black into the gray because if I accidentally over fill the gray tank then black tank waste will fill the shower. Not trying to convince you the gray waste is much better to stand in just a matter of ugly degree. And for me, so far, its been academic has I haven't yet had an overfill. No matter your method choice, the point is there is a way to help extend your boonedocking and one of the things I enjoy about RVing is trying to create solutions that suit me to make it better. Have fun! SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2008 Tour WD. The color brochures that I have for 2008 indicate 51 gallons for black and 117 gallons for gray. But the operator's manual indicated 70 and 54. I also contacted the factory to see which one was correct. Unfortunately, it was the 70 and 54. They also told me that the bathroom sink was plumbed into the black tank to make up some of the difference.

We usually use a dishpan in the kitchen when doing dishes. When needed, we will dump the water into the bathroom sink to save room in the gray tank.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here's another option Called Grey water Potty Flush.
In July at the Ohio FMCA rally I saw a vendor selling this system but a quick google search didn't point me to a supplier.
Some improvements in the purchsaed version is a cartridge type filter and a some brass parts to connect directly into the side of the grey tank.