Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Tour 40KD Info Wanted

I posted a request in the new member section but found this forum.
Considering a 2007 Winnebago Tour 40KD with a Cat 7.2L engine. Less than 20K miles. See the attached file for dealer info.
Dealer is asking $120K minus whatever they give for my 5th wheel trade.
Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Looking for estimated value and any other info offered.
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007 Winnebago Tour 40KD.pdf (619.6 KB, 86 views)
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You are sure it has the CAT? It has got to be getting close to the last year of their OTR engines.

I think the dealer is asking approx. 20k too much for an '07. I guess a lot depends on condition.

Ask for the Winnebago bag with manuals. Hopefully you can get service records. Do climb on the roof and look at end cap seams and along the sides. Check chalking. Check for any signs of water intrusion especially in the bedroom.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Price is about right for dealer retail. Would look for private sale. You should be about $100K if you can find one. I would pound on the dealer and try for between $10K-$15K off their price.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2007 Tour but the TD version. Mine now has 80k miles on it with a Cummins ISL.

Regarding the price, the problem is getting a loan if needed. I've tried to refinance mine at a lower rate a number of times but get rejected because what I owe is greater than the value.

A few items to check as they are problematic on my coach:
1. levelers - do they retract quickly when extended?
2. Does the auto leveler feature really level the coach? (bring a small level from home)
3. Norcold refrig - have the back coils been replaced? They are known to leak and cause a FIRE! I changed mine with a Amish set of coils.
4. Coach batteries - see if you can stay in the coach overnight with the furnace going. Do the batteries still have power in the morning?
5. Not sure about the CAT's, but with a Cummins, the exhaust manifold can leak or crack. Look for black soot between the manifold and the engine block. (just replaced my cracked manifold).
6. Tires - even with good tread, if the original tires are on it, you need to replace them as they have aged out.
7. Any aftermarket adds? Steering stabilizer, MCU's, surge protector
8. Radio - my original equipment one stinks especially on Sirius.
9. Slides outs - have them shoot a garden hose at them both open and closed. Look for water coming in.
10. In motion satellite - you can bring your satellite receiver box from home and hook it up. See if you get signal and a picture. Mine went bad a few times and finally got replaced under an extended warranty.
11. backup and side cameras - see if work. Side cameras get moisture under the lens at times.
12. Filters - oil, two fuel, air ($250 for that one!), air dryer - should all be new for you. Also furnace filter inside the coach.
13. Serpentine belt - broke three times. Carry a spare!
14. AC - make sure works. Mine froze and caused one of the serpentine belt brakes!

That should give you enough ammo to get their price down!!

Good luck! Feel free to PM with any questions.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to all.
We did a more thorough look yesterday and the coach is actually in poor shape. There are many little things that just aren't right and some indication of long term neglect.
There's also some issues with the dealer's claim about specs.
They say it's a Cat 7.2L but the back of the coack has a 400HP decal. I've been told that it must be a Cummins if it's 400HP.
I did a brief look under the coach and it shows that there is probably some exhaust leakage. The wife says she believes the stained carpet at the rear of the LH Slide indicates a leak.
It looks like we'll move on with our search.
In fact, I'm reconsidering the quest for a diesel. Although we're retired we have a boat and enjoy fishing our local waters here in NE Florida. Our travel has been mostly within a few hundred miles of the house except for a trip to Texas once or twice a year to visit family. The initial cost of the DP and the annual maintenance $$ are hard to justify if we continue with our current travel routines.
We do want to expand the travel area to see the Grand Canyon and several of the places in the northwest area of the country. I spent 30 years in the Navy and have absolutely no desire to visit or spend money in any of the commie (sorry 'bout that) states that don't recognize our full constitution but that's a subject for a different time and place.
I really like hearing from those more experienced than we are. Your knowledge is worth more than anyone realizes.
Take care all and we hope to see some on the road in the future.
John in Middleburg.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

John,

I'm interested if you checked date codes on the tires? I'm thinking the dealer maybe be required by state law to put new tires to replace 8-9 yrs old tires. That would be a $3-5K cost to you. I had a 7.5 yr old front tire blow and the tread and sidewalls looked fine.

On cars, old/worn tires and brakes are a safety hazard dealers must deal with but not private party sales.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 12-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2007 KD with 22,000 miles. I'm 2nd owner , bought it in 2/13 with 13K miles. I've replaced the tires due to age, have fixed a few minor things that you would expect but overall have not had any major problems. The jacks can be a little slow but cleaning the rods with WD-40 helps. My Norcold had a recall performed before I purchased the coach and has not given any trouble since. The 400HP is a Cummins which I like and am pleased with the power. I have been told it can be easier and cheaper to have the Cummins worked on than the Cat but do not know that first hand.

This is also the first motorhome I've owned so I had a lot to learn which has also been enjoyable. I'm giving thought to looking around in FL this January for a 1 1/2 bath unit, depending on what I can work out on a trade. It sounds like the price range discussed is a range I would consider to trade.

Good luck with your search.
TerrySt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago