Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 04:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Sightseer tire problem

Doe's anyone have this problem? I have a 2005 Winnebago 31 ft. Sightseer. Both front tires are wearing off on the outside edge and have a bumpy feel to them. The tires are new, Goodyear brand. I had an alignment done on it and the Goodyear tire shop I went to told me that everything looked good, and that the alignment was correct, therefore not needing any adjustment. Any help with this problem would be appreciated. He suggested to me that it was doing this because the weight of the vehicle caused it to "scruff" off some of the tire every time that I turn right or left. At this rate, I will be buying new tires every ten thousand miles. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
Ferrar
Ferrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrar View Post
Doe's anyone have this problem? I have a 2005 Winnebago 31 ft. Sightseer. Both front tires are wearing off on the outside edge and have a bumpy feel to them. The tires are new, Goodyear brand. I had an alignment done on it and the Goodyear tire shop I went to told me that everything looked good, and that the alignment was correct, therefore not needing any adjustment. Any help with this problem would be appreciated. He suggested to me that it was doing this because the weight of the vehicle caused it to "scruff" off some of the tire every time that I turn right or left. At this rate, I will be buying new tires every ten thousand miles. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
Ferrar
Sounds like you need to check tire pressures and find another shop to check alignment, especially if you are scalloping the outside edges.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I agree that anotheeer shop should check the alignment. Obviously the weight of the vehicle should be "on the flat" portion of the tire normally. The wear on the outside says that the alignment is not correct or you drive with inordinate weight in the front portion of the coach.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My last set of GY tires still looked great when I replaced them due to age. I would get a second opinion.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Other problems could be that the tires aren't balanced correctly, or the shocks are worn out.. We had to replace 4 tires on our old motorhome prematurely because when they were installed they weren't balanced.

The dealer was supposed to balance them with Equal powder. After about 20,000 miles the tires began to vibrate and get flat spots. When I took the motorhome to another tire dealer to get the tires rebalanced I found the original dealer had never installed the balancing powder. It took over 12 oz. on the worst tire to bring in to spec. Even the tires were worn so bad they had to be replaced at about 30,000 miles.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Doe's anyone have this problem? I have a 2005 Winnebago 31 ft. Sightseer. Both front tires are wearing off on the outside edge and have a bumpy feel to them. The tires are new, Goodyear brand. I had an alignment done on it and the Goodyear tire shop I went to told me that everything looked good, and that the alignment was correct, therefore not needing any adjustment. Ferrar
How long have you owned this motorhome and how many miles have you put on it? To help with the diagnose problem, it would be good to know if you just bought it and this might be a previously existing problem. Or if you've owned it for a long time and put many miles on it and never had this happen before, then the diagnoses would focus more on something that may have happened recently. -RT

Tire issues:
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ti...-patterns.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5019913_diag...r-cupping.html
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ferrar
Sounds like the shop is either not knowledgeable enough or does not have the equipment to work on an motor home chassis.

Sounds like wear cause by camber issues:
Tire Wear: Causes, Indicators and Remedies

Here is a quote from the page:

• "One Shoulder: If only one of the shoulders is excessively worn, the cause is generally alignment, specifically incorrect camber. The tire is tilted to one side or the other and putting too much pressure on the shoulder. By the time this kind of wear becomes obvious, it can often be too late for any remedy short of replacing the tire and then realigning, although sometimes the tire can be rotated to the opposite side or flipped on the wheel.
  • Scalloping/Feathering: Scalloping, which some techs call feathering, is when all the tread blocks on one shoulder develop a wear pattern in which one block edge is higher than the other, leaving a set of raised edges on the leading or trailing edge of each block. Running your fingers lightly along the tread blocks produces an unmistakable “flutter” as you brush over the raised edges. The earliest sign of this kind of wear is often an unpleasant change in the noise the tire produces – the high hum of the “tire song” often changes to a loud growl as the edges strike pavement. This is generally caused by incorrect camber, and can be thought of as pretty much the larval stage of the one shoulder wear described above - it's just possible that you've caught it early enough that if you correct the alignment, the tire just might “wear back in” to a more normal pattern over time. Scalloping is often indirectly caused by an impact that knocks the alignment out."

Is this on a WorkHorse or Ford? On the Ford F53 this requires a technician well versed in dealing with solid axles. Shimming and possibly bending may be required to correct this. You may want to consider asking about this in one of the respective chassis forums on IRV2.