Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago propane tank cracks leaks

This is the second time we have had a crack form in our 04 Journey propane tank. The situation i think was made worse by driving highway 93 from phoenix to Henderson. Very loud audible leak from the end of the bracket that is welded to the tank. The bracket has a very sharp 90 degree that is pressed into the tank when the tank flexes going over the bumpy road and was made worse by being full. The last time i had one leak it was in a similar spot but on the top of the same bracket at it sharp end. I have seen in older posts that there is an upgrade bracket available that will cradle the tank instead of expecting the thin tank wall to hold it up. The recall campaign is for up to September 03 ours is january 04. If everyone that had a failure as we have, registered the defect with the NHTSA in the USA or with Transport Canada then the recall would likely be expanded and Winnebago would be held accountable for this very serious problem. Without the replacement brackets the actually hold the tank properly all of these tanks will fail eventually. Not everyone is going to be lucky enough to survive this. Does anyone know where to get the upgraded brackets wether its from Winnebago or Manchester? I am almost to the point of building a mount to put in several 20lb bottles instead. Any help appreciated.
Ekims jrnyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Propane tank

I experienced that same tank leak in Nov 2005 (I purchased my 04 Meridian in Oct '03) Winnebago replaced the tank under warranty, and installed it with large steel straps that attached to the frame. The parts came from Winnebago, the repair was made at 3T's in Lake Havasu City, AZ.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. Looked up a 2005 journey and now have he part numbers for the brackets, 151786-01-01A, and straps 151786-02-01A. Look like pretty heavy duty stuff with the straps being 1/4 inch thick. Now the trick is to come up with a tank that isnt compromised or going to break the bank. Interestingly the part/serial # on our tank is the same as the early version used by Winnebago on the units that there is a recall on. 144116-03.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum Ekims! I couldn’t tell from your post, have you tried contacting Winnebago? I’ve had an issue on our prior coach where I was the 3rd owner and well out of warranty and while they didn’t pay for it, they did provide a great deal of help and support diagnosing the issue and getting me in touch with a dealer that was factory trained in the needed repair, which did save me some money in reduced labor.

If you haven’t, can’t hurt to try. https://www.winnebago.com/contact-us

Welcome again and good luck!
Old 04-21-2022, 05:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Could you post pictures of what and where the cracks happen, perhaps what the old and new brackets look like, I have an 04 Journey and would love to know what exactly to look for, Thank You for this post, Rod
Rgrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago propane tank cracks leaks

The leaks occur at the end of the brackets that are welded to the tank. Tough part is that we drove it for 3 years before we discovered where the first one was as it was at the top of the rear bracket which is not visible with the tank mounted. The second leak was way more evident as it was at the bottom of the same bracket and was in the liquid part of the tank and very audible.Click image for larger version

Name:	44AF4546-00BE-4586-9332-85DF931F7980.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	182568

Click image for larger version

Name:	E14E9254-CA4A-475C-8E3A-2EA622B3E024.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	182569

The Winnebago part numbers for the brackets show up if you go to a 2005 journey
2 brackets, 151786-0101A
2 straps, 151786-02-01A
Hope this helps. Soapy spray showed up the first leak after i dropped the tank (literally off the jack) and if i had known to look at the end of the bracket with a mirror might of been able to see the leak while it was still in. We would notice a “stink” when sitting on the patio pad occasionally but chalked it up to “sewer”. Both times the area at the end of the bracket had rusty surface where the paint had peeled away. The addition of the brackets would eliminate this from your future for sure i beleive.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

see attached photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tankleak.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	182570   Click image for larger version

Name:	tankleak1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	182571  

PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Interesting. The brackets that are attached to my tank are not welded out to the end.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Dealing with Winnebago on this might be a chore so what I'd suggest as a backup plan is considering going to the nearest RV Salvage Yard and buying a tank/bracket setup from a '02 Journey...since this defect seems more likely in the '03 model year.

Lot of work & expense though. But than again, what isn't on a Class A? But safety should be the first consideration in this case.

Mine hasn't shown any tenancy to leak out. Have never gotten a whiff of gas while sitting on the patio or when working near the tank so I guess mine is okay. I know that one RV isn't much of a sample, but...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the thoughts. Isnt that funny that likely the older one’s have a thicker tank. Would be interesting to know when and how much the tank thickness changed on these. So far the discussion has gone reasonably well with Winnebago customer care and I am impressed that they are considering helping us out. Still lots of options to explore but hopefully we will be headed in a direction that will get the unit back on the road soon. Doesn't matter right now as Mother Nature hasnt decided to let go of winter here yet.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Having worked in industry most of my career, I suspect that what happened is that their #1 tank welder was let go, retired, or moved on and they quickly threw someone in there that had little or no skill for that particular job.

Just a WAG.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
Welcome to the forum Ekims! I couldn’t tell from your post, have you tried contacting Winnebago? I’ve had an issue on our prior coach where I was the 3rd owner and well out of warranty and while they didn’t pay for it, they did provide a great deal of help and support diagnosing the issue and getting me in touch with a dealer that was factory trained in the needed repair, which did save me some money in reduced labor.

If you haven’t, can’t hurt to try. https://www.winnebago.com/contact-us

Welcome again and good luck!
Thanks for your encouragement to have a chat with Winnebago. The person i contacted at customer care was very helpful. At this point in time I was lucky enough to locate a used tank that wasnt too far to pick up from a Dutch Star that is 16x48 inches that will work with the cradle brackets that Winnebago is sending to us by UPS. All in all I think this will end the problems of cracks in the tank. I would highly recommend talking over what ever the problem is with Winnebago Customercare as it really is “Customer Care”. Definitely 5 star experience. The reason I Rounded up used tank is because there are no new ones available for at least a year. Thanks again to everyone else that replied to this thread for all the help and advice.

Tags
leak, leaks, propane, tank, winnebago