Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2005, 03:37 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
We purchased a '05 Winnebago Journey at the end of February. The choice was based on floorplan, reputation, service network, Freightliner chassis,etc. Even deciding to go new vs. used we expected 2-3 problems out of the gate that required warranty work. However, we are now up to a dozen fairly major warranty items already completed and more pending resolution.

This past week two new problems showed up that fall in Winnebago's camp plus a couple of problems that will require a trip to our local Freightliner dealer. I've also found when getting into the fuzzy area between the chassis and the coach that Freightliner and Winnebago's warranty processes don't mesh very well and has required a lot of work on my part.

So far everything has been taken care of with no cost to me. And since no one problem has been chronic or not repairable the coach cannot be qualified as a lemon (at least in the definition in Washington State law). But there has been so much down time, much of it waiting for parts that we've only had the rig available to us for a net of 10 days since we plunked all that money down. And we expect at least another 7-10 days of down time in the next 3-4 weeks while more work is being done. We are starting to wonder if we'll ever get to enjoy "the beast" as we have come to start calling it.

For those who are curious a partial list of the problems is below.

I've been told by the dealer this is not a normal experience and they'll see us through this. They've been good to work with so far. But even at that we are starting to second guess our choice of manufacturer/coach.

Any feedback/insight anyone has based on their experience with Winnebago or other brand would be appreciated.

Jon & Vicki Pritchard
Vancouver, WA

++++++++++++++++++++++
Major Warranty Items Completed or In Process:
- bad slideout closing solenoid
- window with bent frame
- second window with moisture in between the double panes.
- leak in air brake lines, bad fitting.
- oven would not come to operating temperature (kinked gas line).
- leak in toilet inlet valve
- busted shield between rear-axle and propane tank.
- leak in HWH hyrdaulic pump (jacks, slideouts)
- low coolant warning when coolant was full
- rattles inside front door
- damaged slideout seal
- 1 of 3 house batteries was bad.
- house batteries draining even when all systems are off (still not solved)
- alignment problems (pulls to right)
- vibration at 55-60mph
- ride height off, front too low
- squeal in front brakes (possibly glaxed from factory delivery run)

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We purchased a '05 Winnebago Journey at the end of February. The choice was based on floorplan, reputation, service network, Freightliner chassis,etc. Even deciding to go new vs. used we expected 2-3 problems out of the gate that required warranty work. However, we are now up to a dozen fairly major warranty items already completed and more pending resolution.

This past week two new problems showed up that fall in Winnebago's camp plus a couple of problems that will require a trip to our local Freightliner dealer. I've also found when getting into the fuzzy area between the chassis and the coach that Freightliner and Winnebago's warranty processes don't mesh very well and has required a lot of work on my part.

So far everything has been taken care of with no cost to me. And since no one problem has been chronic or not repairable the coach cannot be qualified as a lemon (at least in the definition in Washington State law). But there has been so much down time, much of it waiting for parts that we've only had the rig available to us for a net of 10 days since we plunked all that money down. And we expect at least another 7-10 days of down time in the next 3-4 weeks while more work is being done. We are starting to wonder if we'll ever get to enjoy "the beast" as we have come to start calling it.

For those who are curious a partial list of the problems is below.

I've been told by the dealer this is not a normal experience and they'll see us through this. They've been good to work with so far. But even at that we are starting to second guess our choice of manufacturer/coach.

Any feedback/insight anyone has based on their experience with Winnebago or other brand would be appreciated.

Jon & Vicki Pritchard
Vancouver, WA

++++++++++++++++++++++
Major Warranty Items Completed or In Process:
- bad slideout closing solenoid
- window with bent frame
- second window with moisture in between the double panes.
- leak in air brake lines, bad fitting.
- oven would not come to operating temperature (kinked gas line).
- leak in toilet inlet valve
- busted shield between rear-axle and propane tank.
- leak in HWH hyrdaulic pump (jacks, slideouts)
- low coolant warning when coolant was full
- rattles inside front door
- damaged slideout seal
- 1 of 3 house batteries was bad.
- house batteries draining even when all systems are off (still not solved)
- alignment problems (pulls to right)
- vibration at 55-60mph
- ride height off, front too low
- squeal in front brakes (possibly glaxed from factory delivery run)

Old 04-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum.com where we try to provide the friendliest source of information about the RV lifestyle! I hope you will soon get resolution of the issues contained in your first post. May I sugesst you scroll down to the "owner's corner" and participate in the Winnie Owners Forum, I'll bet you will get lots of support and answers from those folks, as they are an active group! ED
Old 04-22-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jon,
I will copy your post to the Winnebago owners forum so they can help you out or give comment to your problems.
I will say I know how frustrating these things can be. You just wonder sometimes how the rig made it thru the mfg. with all the problems we see sometimes.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I guess we all learn about Winnebago the hard way. I purchased a 2004 Meridian in Feb. 04 and within 5 months it was in the shop for w/d leaks twice, levelers would not retract, exhaust leak in bedroom twice, TV sounded like it was coming out of the cabinet at the slightest bumps, oil leak under the slide-out, and leak in front air system. Within the next couple months there were two recalls, the oven wouldn't stay lit, water heater wouldn't light, the air horns quit, the rear stop light had to be replaced, the front slide-out needed adjustment, and a second attempt was made to quiet down the rattle in the front tv. Now the water pump is not working right, and there is another recall (each trip to the shop requires a trip of 250 miles to the dealer. What happened to all the quality we've been hearing about Winnebago for so long. My last trip to the dealer took 6 weeks for the appointment, 3 weeks in the shop, and all to do 4.8 hours labor. They claim they are waiting for parts, but yesterday by phone they said they could order me a new water pump in 3 days. Hope you get your problems fixed. There just shouldn't be that many for $200,000 vehicles. And it doesn't matter how many they can fix, its all the time, trouble, and inconvenience we have to endure for them. And they say "sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you but we can't pay for any travel expense". The warranty should cover all out of pocket expenses, but until we quit buying their junk as fast as they can throw it together things won't get better.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You can see the problems I had at http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/3881006131
I deal with FL Lemon Law nd they say 60 days out of service and 42 days are used up.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

It's not just Winnebago; many other manufacturers have similar QC problems.

I'd like to see the Japanese start making Class A & C rigs. Remember what they did for our automobile QC years ago?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The number of problems you have experienced is not unusual for ANY brand of motorhome; 2 or 3 is probably the exception. The dealer should have caught and corrected many of these during what should be a very thorough PDI. And as someone else said, it isn't just WI, but it Tiffen, and Fleetwood, and Newmar and all of them. A few months ago I joined the Tiffen forum, and I was shocked at the number and types of serious problems than some people are having, and getting the factory to resolve.

We spend a lot of money on these things, but they would cost us a whole lot more if they were built like a Bluebird Wanderlodge, Prevost, etc. Even buyers of so called high-end Beavers and Country Couches are having plenty of problems.

I feel badly for you having all this going on, with your brand new rig. Sort of sours the excitement of just having got it.

You bought a good motorhome. So hang in there; I have heard others say many times, that it takes just about a year to get all the bugs out of any new motorhome. I am on my 3rd Winnebago product, 2 of them brand new and they have all issues to work out in the beginning. Even with the hassles of returning for warranty work, and often doing some warranty things myself, just so I didn't have to go back to the dealer, I still think Winnie gives you a better motorhome for your money than the others.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #9

We've BEEN THERE, BEEN through it, BEEN lied to, BEEN deceived, BEEN inconvenienced beyond any expectations, BEEN financially drained and not reimbursed as promised, BEEN through more sleepless nights then I care to think about, and for what, to own a Winnebago Product???

It's BEEN over 2 years of pain and suffering, but it's done and all systems are a go and working fine , as it should have BEEN in the begining. Will we ever buy another Winnebago Product, NNEEVVEERR--NEVER!

Tomcat F15
"On any given day, junk will roll of the assembly line and fall into the hands of an unsuspecting owner, their lives will be for ever changed from that day forward."
Old 04-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Dear Jon & Vicki,

I hope it will help to hear some positive news about Winnebago. I have a 2002 Journey DL 39QD and we are very pleased with it. We have had no issues with the MH and the previous owner only had a single issue - a leaky ice maker line.

I know that my experience with Winnebago Products does not help with your current situation, I though a vote of confidence for Winnebago might boost your attitude a bit.

I have looked at a lot of MH after my purchase and I have not found a MH in this price range that, quite frankly, I would trade for !

Please hang in there, in the end I think you will be very happy with your Winnebago.

Larry

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Good news is..took a weekend trip and no new problems.

In response to some comments in this thread, whenever you feel you are having problems with the dealer or need help sorting out the rig's problems you should call the Winnebago Service Administration number (800)-537-1885 with your Winnie 10 digit serial number. They've straightened out gray areas and lit a fire under the dealer a couple of times for me.

The most frustrating area for use has been parts delivery.

Winnie has shipped two bedroom windows with the bad double pane seal. The promised overnight air shipment turned out to be 4-5 business days and both times UPS damage the replacement in shipment (n increasing trend I've seen at work with both FedEx and UPS in the past 6 months). The third time the part ended up on backorder because the only ones they had left were for the production line. It's now been a month since we started on this one item and as of last Friday there is no promised delivery date for the window.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

I just wanted to add that over the past 2 years I have had some coach body issues but I think that I could have expected some of the same issues with a new stick built house.

We are pretty happy with our coach and Winnebago Service. On our way back from Missoula, MT next month we'll be stopping over at Winnebago Industries for some small item maintenance issues and a factory tour.

When I had to order parts for my Winnie, I usually paid for the express shipping and I received my parts without much delay if they were in stock.

My wife and I are both very pleased with the interior storage capabilities, and creature features on our Winnebago Adventurer and we would not hesitate to buy another.

Perhaps next time we'll upgrade and get the mirrors.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have often been wondering why new comers have so many problems with there new coachs. Is it because they are new to rving or is it just bum luck with a coach built on Friday or Monday.

We all have some problems with a new coach, most of us old timers can fix some of the problems ourselves, an with help from the good people here.
It doesn't matter what Mfg messed up they all do, an dealer support does not help, maybe its because they didn't build it, they just sold it attitude.
I have been lucky I guess, but it doesn't mean I have not had some bad experiences, I have also had 7 trailers an 6 motor homes over 30 years that I have had, to learn that bad experience on.
I have found it takes alot of "patience", an not "getting yourself worked up", to resolve some of the problems we may encounter, but most will get resolved in time. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
I have found it takes alot of "patience", an not "getting yourself worked up", to resolve some of the problems we may encounter, but most will get resolved in time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>007, You're getting to be an ol' pro at this sorta thing! IF I can fix a minor problem myself, I saved both time and money in accomplishing my own repair.

The most expensive component I had to buy so far that broke was the lower rail on my pantry. With the help of Captain Bud "supervisor" and Hitchhiker we got the pantry down and the piece installed and back in service.

I bought the piece right over the counter at Lazy Days parts located behind the showroom. I was also very pleased to have gotten this issue out of the way because I couldn't get a service appointment for a month and a half.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We had a 02 Journey new and it took 23 MONTHS of utter He-- to get it replaced. The dealer felt "bAd',,,,,yayaya. The problems were 11 pages long and we broke down all over the States. Now our 04 Journey has minor issues and we go directly to each manufacturer of the item such as Winegard, Sharp Micro/Conv, refrig, HWH jacks, etc.

WHY did the PDI not show all your problems? Ours on the 04 was a 2 hour job with a friend that builds the freightliner chassis along to do it for me.

WHY is the dealer whining and NOT stepping up to the plate? MONEY. Our dealer has 3 locations in Oregon and knows the forums are NOT their best friend; forums are ours!

Good luck and work with Winnebago in WRITING.
KathiE-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Good for you KathiE-H its a tough learning experience sometimes, but your learning, GOOD LUCK an Happy travels. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We have a 03 Journey DL. Knock on wood ..not one problem. Hang in there.

2003 36' Journey DL
jmccrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
....... I think that I could have expected some of the same issues with a new stick built house.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good thing you don't have to take your stick house (for us a brick house) 80 kilometres to the dealer or 1700 kilometres to the builder to be fixed.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 AM   #19

Here's something very interesting to think about while we're on this subject.

We just picked up a New 2005 Ford Explorer Limited. It was the Dealership's owners vehicle, wouldn't you know he'd drive the nicest one. Well anyway, it has 2,200 miles on it and it's only had to have the oil and oil filter changed, at our request. Does that sound strange to you MotorHome owners. I don't know about you, but when we received our 03 Journey DL we had a repair list more then one legal page long of repairs that we had to have done and it kept growing. We finally got things done this last Feburary.

Now there's a big difference in how 2 large corporations do business. One who gets the job done right before the customer takes delivery and one who puts their customer through pure h___ after they take delivery.

This is our 3rd new Explorer, and I have to tell you, "they keep getting better" and get this, 3 years of unlimited warranty for 36,000 miles, with free towing and road service 24/7, free loaner if service is needed, and all this at a price just under $36,000, oh, and there's even a factory "Lemon Provision" at least with our dealer. Now who's been fooling fooling who?

When is the RV Industry going to face up to their responsiblities and give us what we have been paying for?

Tomcat F15
Old 04-29-2005, 06:19 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Tomcat, glad you are having a good experience with your Explorer. We had one and called the Exploder. After 18 months, 24 trips to the shop for repair and 30,000 miles, Ford decide to buy it back from us. It was a nice vehicle to drive and comfortable...it just kept having problems, oil leaks, suspension, A/C tranny dumped at 10,000 miles and was on the way out again.

They all build good units and bad units. You just have to buy from someone that builds more good ones and hope you get a good one. It also helps to have a mnufacturer that realizes that on ocassion they have a real dog and they should step up to the plate and just admit they have a problem and make the corrections that are required.

Ken