Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Can anyone tell me if a 2005 Journey With 350 HP Diesel, have heat to the coach while driving down the road from the motor? If so where is the switch? It does heat the hot domestic water. Thanks
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Can anyone tell me if a 2005 Journey With 350 HP Diesel, have heat to the coach while driving down the road from the motor? If so where is the switch? It does heat the hot domestic water. Thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The "Motor Aid" heats the hot water in our Horizon, but that's it (except the collateral engine heat in the bedroom .)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You mean my 2000 Minnie Winne class C heats the coach, but the $200,000 Winnebago does not?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The only heat the engine will produce is throught the dash, and will also heat the hot water if it is equipted to do that.

If you don't have heat at the dash the thermostats are stuck open.

When I first got mine both thermostats were stuck open and had to be replaced.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for info. The dash heat is just fine, but thought there should be heat throughtout the couch. Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You mean my 2000 Minnie Winne class C heats the coach, but the $200,000 Winnebago does not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is correct ...strange isn't it!! Diesels do have the motoraid water heater feature, but for some reason, the motoraid inside heater feature exists only on Winnebago gas coaches, and not on the diesels.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vet Man:
Thanks for info. The dash heat is just fine, but thought there should be heat throughtout the couch. Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gets a little chilly on the feet don't it?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I was so impressed with our '97 Adventurer with the motoraid heater under the bed. On our trip to Rockford, IL in winter to trade up to the Journey, we kept very toasty while underway.

On the way back home in the new-to-us Journey, we were surprised (and a bit disappointed) to discover no rear heater. So, we ran the LP furnace whenever the dash heat did not do the job.

I will say I am impressed with the ability of the Tru Air heat pump to heat the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

So it's established that the 'gassers' have engine heat to an auxiliary heater in the coach (including dash heat) but the diesel's don't (even though they have motoraid for the hot water heater).

I have wondered this as well. Why don't the diesels offer an auxiliary coach heater run off the engine (along with motoraid)??

Has anyone tried an auxiliary installation of this sort?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

That is wierd...why gassers not diesel???

Well winnie what you got to say for yourself, i feel a little cheated!

You are all right...no moter heat in rear on my diesel 07 Journey! But since i like a little cold when sleeping...maybe that's ok except when driving.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

My Vectra heats the bedroom just fine while traveling down the road. That big cummins engine works well as a bedroom heater

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
So it's established that the 'gassers' have engine heat to an auxiliary heater in the coach (including dash heat) but the diesel's don't (even though they have motoraid for the hot water heater).

I have wondered this as well. Why don't the diesels offer an auxiliary coach heater run off the engine (along with motoraid)??

Has anyone tried an auxiliary installation of this sort? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
smith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Could it be that the front engine of gassers make the installation somewhat easier/less expensive? I don't know what controls the blower of the heat in the gassers. I have not driven mine in cold weather yet. but will be going to San Antonio in early March (2 weeks) from our home base in Colorado so I am sure it will get exercised during that trip.
Frank O.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:

Has anyone tried an auxiliary installation of this sort? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I have installed an auxiliary heater in a Journey 32T under the bed with good results. It makes a big difference in winter driving. I connected the aux radiator in series with the engine water lines that go to the water heater. The water heater is very close to the bed so it was a short run and easy installation.
smith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

My 02 Has coach heat, with a switch on the dash for the fan. I am sure this is extra.

Since it uses the floor duct work, it is susposed to give some heat to the compartments also..Yes, it is unusual for it to be offered
on the gassers and not the diesels. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Originally posted by Smith88:

I have installed an auxiliary heater in a Journey 32T under the bed with good results. It makes a big difference in winter driving. I connected the aux radiator in series with the engine water lines that go to the water heater. The water heater is very close to the bed so it was a short run and easy installation.[/QUOTE]

Smith88 -- nice job! Did you connect the auxiliary heat radiator to the supply side or the return side of the motoraid hot water heater?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Smith88-Sounds like you have installed what many of us are looking for.....good job. Any chance of some pics and details on the how to?
Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Maybe the Diesels just don't have enough "reserve" heat to strip off of the engine in really cold weather? The Motoraid just heats the water in a tank and is then done, so no big deal.

I'd like to see those project pics as well. During our Death Valley/ Quartzsite trip there was a significant difference in temp from the drivers seat to less than 12" back, and the cold creeping on my feet was ridiculous.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote