Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Journey 32

We plan on moving from our Northern Lite truck camper to a small DP.
One of the models we are considering is a 2004-2006 Journey 32T.
Would appreciate any feedback good or bad on this model , particularly how this shorter coach drives. A salesman told us that the shorter coaches tend to "porpise" on uneven roads.
wallypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

Since nobody has chimed in yet, we'll put in our 2-cents. Both of us have driven commercial charters and transit buses. We know first-hand that the shorter the wheelbase, the squirlier the handling will be. Handling and stability will incrementally get better as the coach/wheelbase gets longer. Longer wheelbase coaches tend to be more stable both in handling and in crosswinds, etc.

However, with that said, we drove the 32T before we bought our 34H and we actually liked the way the 32T handled. It had a sporty feel to it. Yes, it did porpoise a bit more than even the 34H but not enough to make it something we wouldn't have purchased. We chose the 34H because we wanted a short coach but we also wanted a washer/dryer combo and there's no provisions for that in the 32T. No matter, in our opinion, the 32T is still head and tails above any gas-engined Class A in terms of handling, ride, performance, and overall satisfaction in driving --our opinion only.

With a 32T, you can maneuver just about anywhere as it's almost (but not quite) like driving a big SUV. It will get into and out of tight spots where a 40-footer would never fit. It's great for national parks, etc. It's good for getting into the normal fuel islands if you don't always want to use the truck pumps. With a shorter coach, it's always easier negotiating turns in an unfamiliar area than with a 40'-plus coach ...in fact, much easier.

Also, there are several modifications that you can make that will help the handling and ride a bit. Here are some places on the west coast (it appears you're in Washington) that can help you out with ride, suspension, and handling assessments. Click on the name and I've linked them to the proper page on their website:

Brazel's in Centralia WA

Henderson's Lineup in Grants Pass Oregon

Redlands Truck and RV in Redlands California

3Ts in Lake Havasu Arizona (also an authorized Winnebago service center)

I'd say go for it. The 32T is an exceptional little coach in our opinion. We're surprised that Winnebago discontinued making a 32' diesel pusher. It would seem that such a product would be exceptionally popular today ...Thor, Fleetwood, Tiffin, etc. are now making very short pushers, aren't they? Are they selling well? --that's rhetorical as I'm just wondering; I assume they are but don't' have any statistics.

And also, look for Itasca Meridian 32Ts as they are the exact same coach with a little bit different trim configurations and options list.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I liked the 32T conceptually, but when I thought about how we'd really use it, the fact that you only had a dinette and a single couch or recliner (well, and the passenger seat, I suppose) was really a deterrent.

That said, in general, if you haven't driven a DP yet, you definitely should, to get an appreciation for how well they maneuver around with the 50-55 degrees front wheel cut (that is, the wheels actually turn PAST what you'd consider "halfway out" as compared to a conventional truck, which may have just 25 degrees of cut). That's not saying that you can put a 36' DP in a 32' long space, but if you haven't experienced it, you'll be amazed. We had a 30' gasser before, on a 178" wheelbase (which is not a long wheelbase at all for a gas 30') and a 36'DP would turn with it, no problems. Heck, the more I drove out 40' DP the more I learn about being able to get it into spaces (admittedly, that are 40' long).

That said, I drove a couple different Freightliner 208" chassis and the big boss (i.e., my wife) did not feel they porpoised badly even on California's roads.

Steve
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I owned a 2003 32T Itasca Horizon (same as Journey), for 3 years. A great little RV. We called it our little tank. Went everywhere, did everything we could ask it to do. Including some pretty tight stripmall parking lots.
Yes, it needed to be steered a bit more when driving, than the longer rigs, and yes, bumps were a little more exciting. But sidewinds hardly ever bothered it.
It had a large 5500 pound cargo weight, got 10-11mph on a regular basis, we really liked it. It went up hills passing all the gas rigs, and going down hill, using the exhaust brake was like tossing an anchor out. I enjoyed learning about RVing, and diesel pushers with that model. It was a great learning experience.
Only got rid of it, because we were going full time on the road, I needed office space and my wife demanded a washer/dryer. Something a 40' coach could provide.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We bought our 32T new in 02. Since then we drove 172,000 miles. It is a great coach. The only change to the suspension was to upsize the tires and install Koni shocks on the front after 100,000 miles. Load heavy things toward the front and it will handle like a dream. We did change out the couch for 2 recliners.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone.

I really appreciate the detailed responses to my post , the information has been very helpful.

Are there any known issues with this model to be aware of ?

Thanks again
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We came very close to a 32T (but bought Amanda's 34H instead..)

My only complaint was I wanted a recliner in addition to the sofa, and the 32T couldn't do that. And because it's a side hallway, the bathroom/ shower is HUGE!! Wish the 34H had the same..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
(but bought Amanda's 34H instead..)
*lol* ...you remember that, Jeff!

He means we should be the ones who are

We were looking at this nice 34H at Roy Robinson. We napped a bit too long and when we came back ready to buy, we found it had been sold. Turns out, Jeff was the one who bought it. We had to settle for an '07 which didn't have a lot of the stuff that the '06s had.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Unless you are really set on the 32', consider either the 34' or 36'. It does seem they were more plentiful so you may have more to choose from in those lengths. We traded a 32' gasser for our current 36' Journey and the Journey turns tighter and fits into the same spaces as our old gasser. We looked at a 32' Journey and, since we had a 32' rig, we really wanted a bit more space.

In any case, any of the Journey's/Meridians seem to be a good value in a DP. The Freightliner chassis is pretty bullet proof.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Journey 32

I downloaded the 2006 brochure for the Journey and it lists a 3000 allison transmission as a option to the standard 2500 . Is there that much difference in the transmissions.

The 34 Journey may be an option as there are more available and a washer dryer would be nice.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallypop View Post
I downloaded the 2006 brochure for the Journey and it lists a 3000 allison transmission as a option to the standard 2500 . Is there that much difference in the transmissions.

The 34 Journey may be an option as there are more available and a washer dryer would be nice.
I believe that you'll have a higher towing capacity with the 3000 transmission.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #12

I've attached an Allison brochure which we've had in our files for some time now. At the bottom, it will give you lots of comparison charts between different models.

As Chris has stated, the 3000 does have higher towing capacity but is also physically larger, handles more horsepower, and has almost twice the torque rating as the 2500.

Also, the 2500 in the Winnebagos of that era only had 5-speeds where the 3500 has six.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison Transmissions.pdf (1.95 MB, 278 views)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
I've attached an Allison brochure which we've had in our files for some time now. At the bottom, it will give you lots of comparison charts between different models.

As Chris has stated, the 3000 does have higher towing capacity but is also physically larger, handles more horsepower, and has almost twice the torque rating as the 2500.

Also, the 2500 in the Winnebagos of that era only had 5-speeds where the 3500 has six.
Thanks for the reply

The 3000 doubles the towing capacity to 10,000 lbs which is nice to have.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Sorry, I made a mistake and typed "3500" and it should have been "3000."

And, from our recollection when we were shopping for the 2006 models, the Meridian 32T had the 3000 6-speed transmission as standard equipment. In the Journey 32T, it was optional and standard was the 2500 5-speed. Both, of course, will have the Cummins ISB 300 hp engine.

The 34H and the 36G Meridians had the CAT C7 with the Allison 3000 (6-speed) as standard. Their Journey counterparts had as standard the Cummins ISB with the Allison 2500 (5-speed) and the CAT C7 with the Allison 3000 as an optional package.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Wallypop

We just purchased a 32T after looking for 4 months. There aren't that many 32s out there. We purchased in San Diego (flew down) and drove back to Northern Cal.
We drove in some nasty crosswinds for the first leg of the trip, Temecula to Lone Pine. The coach handled it well-- though most likely not as well as a longer rig. The coack is a breeze to drive and we like the fact we can maneuver around in tighter places.

Our rig is a 2004 journey with the Allison 3000 6 speed and Cummins 300

greenhorn
greenhorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Congrats!

Make sure the NORCOLD Failsafe mod has been done on it !

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

I will check out the fridge

greenhorn1
greenhorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I have to agree with Smlranger's post...a 32 ft coach is not that much different than a 34 or even a 36 ft coach. I used to have a 32 footer and the toughest thing I had to get used to when I graduated up was the width...8'6 vs 8'0 that I'd gotten used to over the years. I would seriously consider the longer coach in either a Journey or a Meridian, and I'd make sure that it had the 3000 Allison tranny.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #19

We had a 2005 Meridian 32t for 5 years. It was a great coach however it did not do well in cross winds. Just go ahead and skip that and move up to at least a 40 footer and preferably a tag axle. Once you buy one it is hard to not lose your shirt on re selling or trading.
littlebaler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Check the front windshield for leaks and any rust around it. If so, I'd say stay away from it. Had I known about the rust issue, I'd have stayed away from Winnebago period. Do a search on here and you'll learn plenty about it. But hey, I have the coach now and am making the best of it. Also check the basement air. Not that I have experienced it, but some say it doesn't work well. I have no experience with the 32T, but most Winnebagos have these issues.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago