Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago FORZA

I have new FORZA, and I am considering taking it back to the dealer. The coach is very hard to drive in the wind. I’m fighting the steering wheel all the time.I had a safety plus steering control installed, but did not help.
Is it just me or is this coach just hard to drive on a windy day?

David D
davidd1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd1921 View Post
David, I know you have a new coach but consider if you will the FCCC Ride Enhancement Kit from Source Engineering. Give Jim a call and talk to him about your problem. He won't bite and he might just have some good information for you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:

David D
First thing to do is to check your tire pressures. If the tires are over-inflated, the coach will handle like a wild squirrel and be all over the road. Best thing is to have your coach weighed and set to tire manufacturer's recommendations.

Once you have weights, you can also see how much weight is on the front axle vs. the rear axle. Shorter wheelbase coaches are a bit lighter on the front axle and clearly don't handle as well as a long wheelbase coach. You might be able to move heavier loads into the forward compartments to help the weight balance.

Also have the alignment checked. Relatively cheap insurance.

And yes, all coaches are hard to handle on a windy day.

Mine's a 34' with a 208" wheelbase on a Freightliner chassis. It does get pushed around in the wind somewhat, but way better than a gas chassis due to the design of the DP chassis vs a gas chassis (lots of posts on gas chassis handling vs. diesel chassis handling with airbags, etc).

I have 1) set tire pressures based on actual weights, 2) installed Koni shocks, 3) installed Motion Control Valves on the airbags. The coach handles very well, but will never handle as well as a 40' DP.

When I picked it up from the dealer the tires were inflated to 120 psi, the 2 front tires were out of round causing motion in the steering wheel. I fixed the tire inflation, replaced the 2 front tires, and had it aligned.

After that I was pretty happy with the handling. Once I did the other enhancements, I was happier!

It's not a BMW, but it handles pretty good these days.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
It's not a BMW, but it handles pretty good these days.
Very good advice Don!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

David... I can't add anything to what has already been suggested, However, I did want to say:

:welcome:
Glad to have you here with us.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

it could be wheel alignment plus high tire pressure. We test drove the 34T and that one handles very well.

Edmond.
EdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

David;

Pusherman has given you excellent advice. I would like to welcome you to iRV2. We are happy you found us.

Stay Safe;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

My husband And I were sorry to read about your dissatisfaction with the forza as we were about 95% fixed on purchasing the 34t. 😔. Which model do u have 38r or 34t? Or will the midel even matter?
Merricurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Finally

David,
Just got my 34T back from Freight-liner, what a difference! The dealer was a waste of time but Freight-liner took full responsibility and changed it into a Cadillac!
The coach was lowered 1/2" and the rear tires had to be realigned forward 1" and the toe-in for the front tires was aligned to 2 degrees on the chassis, the air pressure on the tires in front was reduced to 85psi and the rear are 90psi.
The DW and I have chased this issue for 6 months and 5000 miles. We had plans of spending a small fortune for sway bars and steering stabilizers that Freight-liner told us to ignore and drive it first.
Thank the check book gods for Youngs' Trailer Sales in Canton!
wbryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

That is good news. I've been looking at a Forza, care to give us a review of the coach since you've fixed this problem? I'm particularly wondering if the 13.5 ACs are adequate and if the 6 gallon water heater is adequate for 2 people.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
That is good news. I've been looking at a Forza, care to give us a review of the coach since you've fixed this problem? I'm particularly wondering if the 13.5 ACs are adequate and if the 6 gallon water heater is adequate for 2 people.

Nick
We got a 2014 journey 34b with two 13.5 ac's. We were in temps of 107 this week and they struggled to get the coach super cold (we like low 70's). Once we moved the vents on us it made a huge difference in cooling. We had the 6 gal in our old vista and we boondock a lot. If you turn the shower off while you suds up you not only save water but several showers can be done. If you are on hookups you can always turn on lp and electric heat to get quick recovery times. We never ran out of hot water but never took long showers either.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Love our Forza 34T so far. So glad David has had his issues resolved and great information to know!! We are getting ready to put Safe-T-Plus, and Super Steer Trim unit and and Super Steer motion control on ours. Not because of any problems but because we had them on our larger unit and my husband could definitely feel difference w/o Safe-T-Plus. He actually loved the way the Forza drives. Not sure if that is a comment on how nice it is or compared to the 2004 we traded in! LOL!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have new FORZA, and I am considering taking it back to the dealer. The coach is very hard to drive in the wind. I’m fighting the steering wheel all the time.I had a safety plus steering control installed, but did not help.

David D
Been there done that if you followed my complaints on this (which I can't even do) I've been through all this, rig follows every rut, trucks blow you off the road, your wife exhales and you have to counter-steer!, never ending story!
Took our rig back to the dealer where they may as well have said "too bad" ended up at Freight-liner where they took responsibility of the issues and I'll be damn if the didn't figure it out!
Coach 1/2" too high in the front, "toe-in" incorrect and the major issue the "ass" end was 1" out of alignment causing the rear to drive the front.

Got the rig back and after 5,000 miles I have another new rig!!! Thank you Freight-liner!!!!!!

Bill
wbryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
All I can say here is, there's a whole bunch of the new Forza's here at the GNR. It seems folks are buying them and using them. I've not had a chance to talk with any of the owners but, if I do, and they have the same issues, I'll be sure and pass along what your remedies have been.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Would love to hear those reports as you appear to have a large group available.

Nick
Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Would love any feedback from current Forza owners as our delivery is scheduled fro next Friday.

Thanks,
Chris
ctaurie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Chris,

I notice you have a Tiffin, why did you switch to a Winnie Forza?

Nick
Old 07-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Nick,

Floorplan plus storage space. Going with the 38R and the bath and half plus bunks is ideal for us (two daughters 13 and 9). Considered the Tiffin RED 38QBA, but it lacks in both floorplan and storage plus costs a good bit more.

I found that in most of the key areas, the quality of the Winnie is on par or slightly better with the exception of interior cabinetry and finish. I know Winniw won't stand behind the coach like Tiffin does, but I'm hopeful not to have too many issues.
ctaurie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Well, good luck with your new rig. Your post reminded me of those good old days when we travelled with out kids. Wonderful times, enjoy them to the fullest.

I had a brief look at the 34T, but haven't seen the 38R. I hope to check out both very soon.

Nick
Old 07-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Forza Observations

Just completed 2200 mile trip to Florida in new 2 week old 2015 34T. Here are my observations. I have started to lower tire pressure in front. Coach was quite hard to handle with 110 lbs factory pressure in front tires. I lowered pressure to 100 and ride improved. I will weigh unit and lower pressure even more. Coach had no wind noise. The mirrors vibrate similar to a Sprinter, which I had previously. The change from rear camera to side camera when changing lanes is annoying. I rely on rear camera for pulling in. I may disconnect the feature. The coach seems quite solid and has plenty of power. Mileage is from 8.5 to 9.5 mpg. Have not filled tank enough to determine exact mileage. Leveling and slide outs worked perfectly.

Jim & Joan
Dallas TX
Forza 15 34T
oopypic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago