Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2023, 10:19 AM   #1
WinnieAdven38

Winnebago Deleting Roof Access Ladders on New Models?

I have been looking into a new Winnebago Forza as I find many appealing and affordable aspects of this rear engine diesel coach. But one thing I began noticing was that there are no photos of this model which show a roof access ladder. In researching specs there is no option for a ladder either. Started looking at other Class A Models and see few roof ladders pictured there either. In writing to Winnebago to question this was told that - at least for the Forza - Winnebago does not install a roof ladder any longer, so any roof access will have to be done by a separate collapsible ladder - which I find not only impossible for me but extremely dangerous.

As full timers in our 2005 Adventurer I find roof access something I do at least every month or 2. Especially staying in Florida in the winter those live oak trees are extremely dirty, and I need to at least clean off the solar panels regularly.

Has anyone else noticed this on new coaches? Is Winnebago really discontinuing roof ladders??
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

A more important question may be "Is there a specific location the RV that is preped for a roof ladder?"
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Rick & Barb,
In reviewing the Journey, it too also has no roof access ladder (see exterior photos of the Journey and the Forza below.) I am guessing that they couldn't cheaply engineer a ladder on the back that articulates out of the way for the rear engine access. There certainly could be a fold-away ladder on the back, and its omission is not good.
Eagle5

Old 05-15-2023, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Holiday Rambler has a ladder that comes down half way and then the second half is hung off the bottom rung. Winnebago could do something similar. Others have suggested either a telescoping ladder or an extendable, multi-position ladder which is more useful. That’s what I plan to do.
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There are many ways of setting up ladders to clear engine hoods, etc, that have been used successfully for years. My guess is that Winnebago is eliminating the ladders for 2 reasons;
1-it's cheaper
2-liability issues. Yes, one MUST regularly go onto the roof to inspect seams, etc. However, if Winnebago is not responsible for the means of access, they reduce the liability for someone falling off the ladder or roof.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I use a15' Cosco multi-fold ladder because climbing the vertical OEM ladder is too dangerous for me at my age; and it's tough to carry washing or maintenance up the vertical ladder.
I haven't ever climbed the OEM ladder on my MH for the assigned reasons.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Winnebago dropped the ladders off of some models about 10 years ago. Not sure which models and years have them / don't have them, but it's definitely been brought up before.

IRV2.com ladder thread search

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My 03 Ultimate has a 2-piece ladder. I used the extension only once it twice many years ago. I normally use(d) a 7 foot collapsible step ladder to get me up to the permanent part. Since double knee replacement ... and a friend getting seriously injured falling to the driveway from an extension ladder as he stepped from the ladder to the roof ... I pay someone else to go up top now. 70+ yr old bodies don't deal well with 8ft falls onto concrete. 😵*💫
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The ladders installed on many motorhomes are poorly made and are quite dangerous, including those of Winnebago.

It's stupid and dangerous to make a ladder where you can't put two feet together on the same step.

After all, to do this, it is sufficient to make a ladder 6 or 8 inches wider than those usually installed.

With a wider ladder, even in two parts, you climb more easily and comfortably and in complete safety, without making strange crossings with your legs.

Can anyone explain me why they make ladders where only one foot can be placed on each step?

To save $10? But go to hell, I'll give them 50 dollars, but let them do the ladders as they should be done!
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The best solution, given the average age of motorhome buyers, would be to install a trap door on the roof of the vehicle which can be accessed with a ladder from inside.

Much easier, safer and more comfortable!!!

That would really be the best!

To save space in the hatch you could also integrate a porthole with the fan!

Winnebago why don't do this???
Old 05-23-2023, 07:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65 View Post
The best solution, given the average age of motorhome buyers, would be to install a trap door on the roof of the vehicle which can be accessed with a ladder from inside.

Much easier, safer and more comfortable!!!

That would really be the best!

To save space in the hatch you could also integrate a porthole with the fan!

Winnebago why don't do this???
That would be unsafe. How would you hold onto something while attempting to kneel down in order to step down into the access hole onto the ladder? Might be easy for a 40 yr old person with good balance, but each persons health is different.
The vertical ladder is dangerous, OSHA requires a safety cage with an attachment for a safety harness strap around every vertical ladder over 24' long for that reason.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-23-2023, 07:28 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That would be unsafe. How would you hold onto something while attempting to kneel down in order to step down into the access hole onto the ladder? Might be easy for a 40 yr old person with good balance, but each persons health is different.
The vertical ladder is dangerous, OSHA requires a safety cage with an attachment for a safety harness strap around every vertical ladder over 24' long for that reason.
So what RV has a ladder over 24 feet long? Most aren't even 10 feet. I retired from a utility company and climbed many poles and ladders. It would be no different than the utility ladders that a lot of homes have to access their overhead area of their garage or home.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If you, for example, make a nice porthole above the dinette area the sloped stairway would have a height of about 90 or 100 inches.

On the roof then two 20-inch high grab bars would be enough to hold you comfortably and climb onto the roof.

Much better than a 160 inch tall ladder, like those usually installed on older RVs. Easy, comfortable and safe!

Even at 70 years!
Old 05-24-2023, 07:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
So what RV has a ladder over 24 feet long? Most aren't even 10 feet. I retired from a utility company and climbed many poles and ladders. It would be no different than the utility ladders that a lot of homes have to access their overhead area of their garage or home.

That about OSHA was merely to demonstrate how dangerous vertical ladders are,
Old 05-24-2023, 07:48 PM   #15
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Forest River no longer installs a rear ladder on their Georgetown Class A. This post is by the GM of the division explaining why: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2821951

In a nutshell, a revision to the NRVIA ladder safety standard back in 2019 that finally went into effect.

My observation that one risk may simply be getting traded for multiple, more likely risks for people who never used a ladder professionally: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2821973

Did you know that a proper ladder length for a telescoping (or other "leaning" ladder) is to have three feet (3') extending above what you're climbing on to? Most people do not and will pooh-pooh the idea because they haven't fallen off a ladder yet. The explanation: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2846102

I used to work on a fire department and we responded to a lot of calls for untrained people falling off ladders or ladders falling over or collapsing. A fixed ladder on the rear of the RV takes a lot of that risk away.

I carry a 15.5' telescoping ladder even though I have a rear ladder and we're 12' 6" to the top of the air conditioners.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, winnebago