Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Arrow Winnebago Adventurer vs Itasca Suncruiser

We've been considering purchasing a new motorhome for several months. It's come down to either the Winnebago Adventurer or the Itasca Suncruiser. We have factory brochures for both and have toured through both. Up until today they were absolutely identical except for the color schemes. I even went so far as to call the factory and was told the same thing "They are identical except for the interior and exterior color schemes".

Well today I got a real shock. We had decided on the Adventurer so I went online one more time to be sure we had selected the proper colors. I was looking through pictures of units dealers had in stock when much to my surprise I came across 2 Adventurers with totally different looking front ends. They were both advertised as 2013s but the second one doesn't look anything like the others I've seen or the ones in the Winnebago brochures.

Has anyone else run into the same situation, or is the lower picture actually the first of the 2014 line.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #2

The upper one could be a 2012 as it looks just like a friends unit. If they were shipping in 13 maybe they call them 13s???
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The 1012 models and the 1013 models are very similar. Hrer's a link to the 2013 Adventurer on the Winnebago website.

Winnebago Motor Homes - 2013 Adventurer
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The front slideout mechanism appears different in the two pictures as well.

According to the online brochure pictures the 2012 and 2013 Adventurers have the same front cap design.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The front on the lower picture appears closer to the 2013 Sightseer than the Adventurer, though it doesn't match exactly.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Top is a 2013
Bottom is a 2012

note the graphics under the wind shield

I am not sure they are both the same model
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #7

If I where in the market for a NEW coach I would look for a good deal at a dealer where all of the stock is NEW this year, (without any new-old-stock mixed in).
Run, (do not walk), away!.........(IMO that dealer is deceitful at best).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Top is a 2013
Bottom is a 2012

note the graphics under the wind shield

I am not sure they are both the same model

I looked at more pictures and I am now totaly confused I retract my statements above
Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I was told that the Itasca was a tiny upgrade over the Winnebago. The Itasca may have a few more bells and whistles.

Are these 37F models? If so, I priced 2012's last year at Lazy Days but did not pull the trigger.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here's some more pictures from another dealer. These are all supposedly 2013 models. Note the first and second pictures. They're supposedly of the same motorhome. It's an Adventurer 37F.

The third picture is a 2013 Adventurer 32H
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Updated Adventure/Suncrusier Front

Hikerdogs, The new front was a running change in October. It actually is an updated version on the front end used on the sightseer/Sunova.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Front.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	32233  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs, My wife and I are about in the same boat. For what it is worth the base MSRP for the 35P Suncruiser is $736 more than the Adventurer. All of the options are the same.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I was told that the Itasca was a tiny upgrade over the Winnebago. The Itasca may have a few more bells and whistles.

Not true this comes up often, same motor home just fit and finish - given same options they are even the same price.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Hikerdogs, The new front was a running change in October. It actually is an updated version on the front end used on the sightseer/Sunova.
If this is the case I have to say I'm extremely disappointed. We've contacted 7 dealers across the country, talked to the pepole at the factory, and did tons of research including hours on the Winnebago website. We even got a new set of brochures in December to be sure we were looking at the latest information. Not once was there a mention that the products we were looking at weren't the ones we would get when we made an order.

All dealers were well aware that we would be ordering a unit, not buying one off the lot. I can't imagine the shock if we had ordered one unit and received another. I can't believe Winnebago hasn't updated printed and online information in over 3 months with this type of change.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
If this is the case I have to say I'm extremely disappointed. We've contacted 7 dealers across the country, talked to the pepole at the factory, and did tons of research including hours on the Winnebago website. We even got a new set of brochures in December to be sure we were looking at the latest information. Not once was there a mention that the products we were looking at weren't the ones we would get when we made an order.

All dealers were well aware that we would be ordering a unit, not buying one off the lot. I can't imagine the shock if we had ordered one unit and received another. I can't believe Winnebago hasn't updated printed and online information in over 3 months with this type of change.
Call the factory on Monday (if open on MLK) or Tuesday and ask them direct
or call Lichtsinn the dealer in Forest City - they probably are the most knowlegable of all dealers 1-800-343-6255

Customer care number is 800 537 1885
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #16

Three words of advice: "Red Bay, Alabama"! :-)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs

Read the fine print in the brochures, there is a paragraph that says "specifications, equipment, model availability and prices subject to change without notice"
Most if not all RV manufacturers have a statement like that in their literature.
I took delivery of my Suncruiser in November (front end in literature)and saw the new front end at the Louisville show in December. My feelings are opposite, I think the new design is sharp looking - nice raised chrome letters like a high end auto.
Itasca uses more expensive fabrics than Winnebago, that is the price difference.
cgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Call the factory on Monday (if open on MLK) or Tuesday and ask them direct
or call Lichtsinn the dealer in Forest City - they probably are the most knowlegable of all dealers 1-800-343-6255

Customer care number is 800 537 1885
As I mentioned erlier that's the most disappointing part. I did call the factory in December and talked to a woman in the sales department. She told me that the Adventurer and Suncruiser were exactly the same. We also spent a day at Lichstinn Motors in Forest City this January.

We looked over the brochures, spent some time comparing color and fabric charts, and toured through several Adventurer and Suncruiser motorhomes. Not once did anyone from either the factory or the dealership mention that there were running changes made during the year, and that the motorhomes we were looking at weren't what was currently in production.

I couldn't imagine going to a Ford dealer (or any other brand dealer for that matter) telling them that I was looking for a particular model car and wanted to order it, and have them show me something totally different than what was currently being made.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Just remember that this is the internet and not all that is stated on here is 100 % factual.

I suggest you check again - the story sounds strange.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Just remember that this is the internet and not all that is stated on here is 100 % factual.

I suggest you check again - the story sounds strange.
I'm not sure which part of the story seems "strange" to you. The fact that we weren't informed of any running changes, that we hadn't done our do diligence, or something else? We've been visiting dealers in person, checking dealer inventories online, and have contacted the factory.

I've personally visited more than a dozen dealer sites online within the last 2 weeks. It wasn't until yesterday that I found pictures of newly delivered motorhomes at 3 different dealers that had the redesigned front end. We thought the final step before ordering was to pick the colors, not to have to reconsider the brand, model, and ammenities.

As noted by a previous poster it appears there have been more than cosmetic changes made during the year. One noticable difference is the type of slide mechanism used for the front passengers side slide. While the model we're looking at does not have this particular slide, it brings into question what else has been changed.

I'm not questioning the manufacturers right or decision to make changes. What I am questioning is the judgement of the person or persons who decided the changes didn't warrant informing potential customers by updating printed and online information. When making this size investment I would think any consumer would want to be informed as to what they are getting for their money.

Tags
itasca, suncruiser, winnebago