Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Adventurer Electrical Training Recommendations

I have some back yard mechanic wrenching capabilities, so I’m able (and willing) to fix a lot of things myself. However, the area on my RV that I avoid is the electrical. For instance I installed the Winegard TOGO and rather than try to figure out how to tap into the 12V on the fridge, I bought a converter box and used that for electrical. I’m looking to get a little smarter about my electrical system without being overwhelmed. I know there’s a LOT of electrical classes out there, but I don’t know how much I need to know and how much is just going to go over my head.

Does anyone have any beginner classes they’ve taken or would recommend that would meet my needs?
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure if you are asking about the mechanical aspect of attaching and running wire or if you want to know more about how the 12V DC system in a RV works.

For info about how the batteries, 12V system, charging and discharging etc:

Excellent basic info:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

For more extensive detail for dry camping, inverters, solar etc:

RV Electrical
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
I'm not sure if you are asking about the mechanical aspect of attaching and running wire or if you want to know more about how the 12V DC system in a RV works.

For info about how the batteries, 12V system, charging and discharging etc:

Excellent basic info:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

For more extensive detail for dry camping, inverters, solar etc:

RV Electrical
Thanks! I’ll check them out.
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The main challenge you'll have is that Winnebago no longer publishes the coach 12 volt electrical wiring diagrams to owners, so you'll have some challenges trying to attach to the Winnebago OEM wiring. Non 120 Volt AC wires are all labeled with a letter code, except for some of the very largest gauge wires, and you can still download the letter code decoder document, but some of the descriptions of the letter codes are pretty obtuse.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here's all the wiring diagram Winnebago has made available for your coach (sadly minus the 12V wiring diagram as stated earlier):
Wiring Diagrams

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

And here's the Wiring Identification Guide which will identify all of the 12V wiring via the number/letter coding on each wire.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Another big help is a wire tracer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ADHQCIO...t_b_asin_title

You can use it in identifying a wire, after disconnecting all power. The signal is inserted into one end and can then be traced along its length.

You should also have a decent digital multimeter. One with a clamp-on ammeter is nice to have. With a clamp-on meter, you can read amps without disconnecting the wire. Just make sure it will read both DC and AC amps. Many only read AC amps. They're a little more expensive than the typical multimeter but one can be had in the $30 -$35 range:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dc+clamp+...nb_sb_ss_i_4_7
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #8

Simple: Watch a few basic videos on how to use a Voltmeter and DC probe checker. Then buy these rather inexpensive tools and start probing around.

Note: The voltmeter #1 & #2 benefits to the beginner are how to read voltage; and how to test for continuity (the beeping noise you hear to check for good grounds). That's all you really need to know in the beginning. So don't let the other functions in the Voltmeter mix you up!

* The DC probe is also great for finding a 12V source. Just hook the wire to a GOOD ground and start probing. If it's hot the light in the probe will light; and if it does not light you either have an "open" or you are touching a ground or a non-ground.

* Every RV appliance (for the most part) is it's own RV-subsystem... switched by a relay... so you should pay attention to how a common Bosch 4 or 5 pin relay works.

Note: Relays are just low current switches (small 12V wires for On or Off functions) that pass low or high current to a load device. Note: A solenoid is just a larger wires will tip you off as to the power source and load device.

This is always true: V=IR and P=IV ...so you really don't need much more.

As for fixing RV-subsystems, like your water heater, there are videos you can watch that will help you DIY.

The truth is you can only learn so much from a book alone, but with a book and a video, and the drive to DIY, you will become very capable over time.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, electrical, vent, winnebago