Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winnebago Adventurer 35U Slide out update for replacing carpet with vinyl

We replaced the carpet with vinyl and had to set the slide out up to work without scratching the new floor. After much resurch and some modifications it is working well. The price to have a dealer set it up was just too much. If I can be of help to anyone just let me know.

Have a great day!
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse McGee View Post
We replaced the carpet with vinyl and had to set the slide out up to work without scratching the new floor. After much resurch and some modifications it is working well. The price to have a dealer set it up was just too much. If I can be of help to anyone just let me know.

Have a great day!
how did you adjust the slide up?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
how did you adjust the slide up?
Adjusting the slide up is not possible as the inner side of the slide out is designed to rest on the floor as it slides. With that said your slide out was designed to slide on carpet and needs to be modified to slide on a hard service that you don't want scratched. What you have now is a metal strip attached to the under side of your slide, the length of the slide. It is approx 4"s wide and 1 1/2 "s in high th. It is grooved so that a hard pliable plastic strip about 1 1/2 "s wide (domed after installed) and the length of the slide can be inserted and secured with a few screws at each end. So the original application friction is weighted hard plastic against carpet which works well. The plastic service is a bit rough and with the weighted friction on a new hard service floor would not be good. The metal strip needs to be removed and wrapped with carpet and reinstaled. If you would like to do this I can get into the details of how I did it.

Happy to help if I can

Jesse & Cathie
Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yep, thats the way it works. Just did this conversion also.

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Jesse,

I'd like some more information about how you did it. I just bought a Winnebago Journey and the carpet cleaned up well but vinyl or other hard flooring is in the near future. I just joined and I think you can get to my email as I approved forum members to get to it. If not, let me know and I'll give you a phone number from work. Thanks.
gopedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I also would like to know how you did it. I have a different model MH but I can feel the metal and domed plastic parts that you described. My email address is open.

Ellis
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Winnebago will sell you wrapped wood pieces to replace the metal strip. The leading edge is angled.
At least they offered them for my Sightseer although I ended up not using them. The covering was the same stuff used in the floors of the storage compartments.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I ordered these new carpeted slide shoes from winnebago and had my local dealer install. Withoud doing this step you will damage your new hard surface floor.

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi all
We bought our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35u at a great deal and loved it. It is our first coach. The previous owner tore out the living room carpet and replaced it with stick on wood planks and it was never completed. We wanted to replace the flooring with vinyl to make it easier to maintain and keep the dust down. We did carpet in the bed room and at the front. When I dine the tear out I had to pull the remaining carpet that was left under the slide that the other owner left. That was the "oh ****" moment. It turned out that when Winnebago built this couch they first installed a 1/4 inch plywood strip the length of the 13' slide about 3 1/2"s wide. They beveled the edge and stapled it to the wood floor so that it would act as a ramp for the slide to glide up onto so that when the slide was extended it would raise the last 3 1/2 "and help seal the slide at the top. Then they installed the carpet onto it. I realized this was a manufactured ramp that the metal /plastic shoe under the slide would ride on (= plastic sliding on carpet which works well even under pressure.) Ok now I just pulled the carpet off the wood ramp which changed the height of the ramp and the ramp protection. I could not see paying the kind of prices that the dealer wanted to do the job correctly in full. One guy told me to extend the slide out, then bring it in 6 to 8 inches, then I could raise it enough to work on it. He was wrong, there was no room to work at all. I called Winnebago support and the guy I talked to said that he used to do this and that he knew that the slide would go out far enough for me to do the repair. At this point I was determined to do the job. I would fix it or ruin it but I wasn't going to cave to the dealer. I then extended the slide out all the way and took the screws out of the frame around the slide (remember where the screws come from as they are different sizes). I then extended the slide another 4" to 5". That was not enough because the slide floor under the booth was deeper. I knew that I needed it to go out at least another 8" to be able to get under the coach to remove and replace the slide shoe. I looked at the aluminum slide beams the slid into the metal frames under the coach and determined that if I could figure how to slide it out another 8 " that the beams were long enough to continue to support the slide out at the inner side. But I was worried about the weight of the slide resting on only a small amount of beam in the frame after extending that much? My brother and I placed a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood under the slide on the ground to act as a smooth floor to slide a floor jack on. This coach has cargo compartments as a part of the lower slide. I didn't want to bend anything so we got a straight 4"x4"x8' wood post and a placed it under the slide out towards the outer side. This was to take some weight off of the beams as the slide was pulled out more. Then I knew we would need to disconnect the hydraulic rams to be able to pull the slide out further. There was two beams holding my slide and two beveled headed screws at the outer end of each beam connecting the hydraulic rams. I removed them. Then as my brother held the handle of the floor jack , my friend and I each put our back against the coach and pushed the slide out with our feet evenly. This worked well. Now I could work on the floor inside the coach and the slide shoe under the slide as well. It was at this point I felt victory in that I knew we could do this without damaging the slide! We now needed to install a new ramp for the slide shoe to glide onto. We used plastic polymer 3 3/4"wide x4'long x 5/16" thick. We beveled the edge to replicate what was there originally and screwed it to the floor, overlapping the new vinyl. We used beveled headed rustproof decking screws and countersunk them. We then removed the metal shoe under the slide out. The shoe was 13' long. We went to Lowes and bought a strip of 1'x 13' carpet and a can of contact cement. We sprayed the contact cement onto the slide shoe being sure to cover both sides well. We also sprayed the backside of the carpet and let the glued surfaces tack so that when we attached them together they would bond well. We wrapped the carpet completely around the shoe leaving the seam where after installed would be sandwiched against the bottom of the slide to assure it would stay intact under pressure. We drilled the carpet (use the drill in reverse in high speed to somewhat burn the hole in the carpet so that the carpet fiber won't frazzle ) where the original screw holes where so that the head of the screws would be counter sunk and would not damage the new vinyl. After we installed the carpet covered slide shoe we pushed the slide in and reattached the rams. Our slide works very well now and we don't have to worry at all about our new floor getting scratched. I regret that I didn't take more pictures. I only have one that shows the slide out of the coach and I could take a picture of the completed job is someone would like. This forum has help me. I hope this will be some help to someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopedal View Post
Jesse,

I'd like some more information about how you did it. I just bought a Winnebago Journey and the carpet cleaned up well but vinyl or other hard flooring is in the near future. I just joined and I think you can get to my email as I approved forum members to get to it. If not, let me know and I'll give you a phone number from work. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00001-20100831-1658.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	6594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00003-20100831-1659.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	6595  

Name:	IMG00072-20100818-1820.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	6596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00095-20100824-1616.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	6597  

Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Jessie. Great detail, can't wait for spring.

Glenn
gopedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like you have solved my problem!! One question I have is if your slide out in a level floor type when extended?...My MH is a 2003, 38ft but sounds as if the set up is the same. I have a metal ramp that is attached the length of the couch opening and flush with the wood floor. Am not sure if this is what you replaced with the plastic polmer strip or is there something I can only see when the slide is extended out per your method? Would like pick your brain a little more if you would be willing to help another do-it-yourselfer. My email is in my profile and would appreciate hearing from you.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hi beanjr
I want to be sure to answer you correctly. My slide out is 13' wide and when it is fully extended it is level with the coach but it doesn't drop down to match the height of the coach floor, it is about 2"s higher. From what I understand Winnebago has used different slide ramps that attach to the floor at the slide out openings such as wood covered in carpet, metal or plastic. If your ramp is metal, you can use that however I would remove it so that the new flooring can be installed first then the ramp reinstalled over the new flooring. This will assure that the new flooring will not be lifted by the movement of the carpet covered slide out shoe. I would also be sure that what I changed would add up to the same lift to assure proper seal at the top of the slide out. So yes I do believe that if you see a metal ramp there is no plastic. I hope this helps you and email me anytime. I will go into my profile and add my email address.

Sincerely,

jbmsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanjr View Post
Sounds like you have solved my problem!! One question I have is if your slide out in a level floor type when extended?...My MH is a 2003, 38ft but sounds as if the set up is the same. I have a metal ramp that is attached the length of the couch opening and flush with the wood floor. Am not sure if this is what you replaced with the plastic polmer strip or is there something I can only see when the slide is extended out per your method? Would like pick your brain a little more if you would be willing to help another do-it-yourselfer. My email is in my profile and would appreciate hearing from you.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

need advice on vinyl mod Rodney-619-813-4121 [email protected]
rodneyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I could use some help. I can't figure out how to replace the shoe that slides over the floor. I also have issues with the corners of the slide that dig into the floor when I put the floor out. This is a flat floor living room slide out on a 35' 2004 Winnebago Adventurer.
LarryMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMars View Post
I could use some help. I can't figure out how to replace the shoe that slides over the floor. I also have issues with the corners of the slide that dig into the floor when I put the floor out. This is a flat floor living room slide out on a 35' 2004 Winnebago Adventurer.
Hi Larry
Be happy to help you. My coach was a 2001 and the slide didn't drop down. I do believe to replace the shoe you first need to extend the slide beyond the stopping point. Have you done this? It sounds like your slide adjustments are off. We can do this. Send so pictures and I will help you. We will also get Winnebagos help if needed.
Jesse
Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply. I never have extended the slide beyond its stopping point. It looks like this would be a chore, having to take off all the inside trim. Also, the last few inches of the slide in the out direction is downward.

I have noticed that when the slide is out, it is behind what looks like a long removable piece (many screws that seem to be somewhat accessible. I thought maybe this could be removed for access, but I don’t have a clue.

Winnebago hasn’t been much help in the past. They send me tech papers that don’t seem to be of much value.

I am not sure what pictures you need. Here is one of the slide mechanism.

This was taken with the slide out. It is of one of the rams. The bins are to the right. The diagonal shape on the ram indicates the upward travel. (The threaded rod is used to retract the slide if the hydraulic system fails.

Let me know what else you need. I am currently down in Mexico, so I don’t have phone service.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6117256.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	55948  
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Larry am I correct in that the reason for replacing the slide shoe is that you want to replace the carpet with a smooth surface flooring and have it not scratch the new floor up? I have a friend that worked at a Winnebago dealership for many years. I will run this by him and get back with you. I would like more pictures. Include where the slide corners are digging into the floor. I do believe there is a final slide hight stop adjustment that is out. Some slides can be unbolted and at half extend can be tilted outward to access the shoe. I will find out.
Jesse
Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Slide end digging into the floor

This photo shows how the slide end digs into the floor. It did the same thing with the carpet I replaced and shredded it. When I retract the slide, both ends scrape the floor, destroying the end tiles (Which I can replace for about $1 each when I solve the problem). About 4 feet from the slide ends, the slide floor and coach floor are level with each other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2137329.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	56048  
Old 02-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I see that I did not address the question you asked. Yes, I would like to replace the shoe, however I have already replaced the carpet. I opted for the self-stick tiles mainly due to price. They actually have worked out pretty well, except where the slide ends dig in and the corners scrape. The plastic shoe has done a little damage already, but I could replace the damaged ones when I get the right shoe.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMars View Post
I see that I did not address the question you asked. Yes, I would like to replace the shoe, however I have already replaced the carpet. I opted for the self-stick tiles mainly due to price. They actually have worked out pretty well, except where the slide ends dig in and the corners scrape. The plastic shoe has done a little damage already, but I could replace the damaged ones when I get the right shoe.
Larry
That picture is very helpful. I believe we first need to adjust your slide so that when it drops at final extend it is level with the coach floor. It looks like the slide stops need to be reset. Also due to the distant of adjustment needed, the end of track tabs could be broke / under slide in compartment. Try to get some pictures of them.

Then we can repair the floor and add a corner strip to help protect the floor at the edge. Does your 35U have the computer desk, booth, or table and chairs?

Jesse

Tags
winnebago, slide, carpet