Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #81
Winnebago Master

Got the pictures and it looks like we need to bring it up front and rear. That should help it a lot. Let me know when a window frame of time is good for you and we will set a time to talk on the phone and adjust it together. Do you have an iPhone? We could face time and I could see what you are doing as we talk. If not we can make it happen. This step will make the slide work better. The next step will be to get the shoe correct so it won't mark the floor.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 AM   #82
Winnebago Camper

No, but I do have a IPad. Thursday or Friday look good but Friday will have to afternoon. Or even Saturday maybe my buddy Mike can come help me. Let me know what is good for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side angle slide.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	70654  
Attached Images

leadfoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #83
Winnebago Master

Winnebago Adventurer 35U Slide out update for replacing carpet with vinyl

Lets do Saturday. Pm your number and I will text you my available time as it gets closer to Saturday. Will be nice if your friend can help.
Jesse
Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #84
Winnebago Camper

Can we plan on Friday after lunch. Have to take my sister to the doctors appt.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #85
Winnebago Master

Winnebago Adventurer 35U Slide out update for replacing carpet with vinyl

Sorry I won't be able to do Friday.
Would Monday work for you?
If not any day next week should work for me.
Jesse
Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #86
Winnebago Camper

Sat. PM will work great for me I will be home all day tinkering with the coach. I am expecting the water pump today. And I am cleaning all fans and the bathroom. Have to sanitize the water tank. So it is play with the BIG toy Sat.
Will call after lunch to set time for Sat. if you are still good for Sat.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #87
Winnebago Master

Yes that works for me.
Jesse
Old 08-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #88
Winnebago Camper

well we did it

It took some doing , but with Jesse's help and patience He was able to talk me through it and it is sweet. I have a level floor and after installing allure flooring it would mark and damage the floor. Well not now. My slide has never slid so smooth and it also corrected the floor damage problem. Still want to tackle the shoe slide just in case. Thanks to all of you that helped, suggestions, and in some cases links to a lot of good reading. irv2 ROCKS. Again thanks to all . Here is the before and after. Forgot to rotate the after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140801_135455.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	71374   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140819_152431.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	71375  

Old 09-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #89
Winnebago Camper

I know of a man that installs LVT without removing the slide but do not know all of his technique. He does recommend that when moving the slide in that at least three pieces of LVT be used face down on the new floor to protect it from the polyethylene glide. You may give that a try and see if it works for you.

Since I am about to venture in replacing the carpet with vinyl. Can you give more info on how this is done. I am not looking forward in having to extend the slide beyond its limit and tilting it to replace the gliders.
rogjoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #90
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I don't know how or why you could extend a slide beyond the parameters of what the manufacturer made. To do that, in my experience, would be asking for more problems. Your coach- your choice- your money. I'm not doing it.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #91
Winnebago Master

35U Slide out update for replacing carpet with vinyl 2

May help others currently

Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Hi all
We bought our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35u at a great deal and loved it. It is our first coach. The previous owner tore out the living room carpet and replaced it with stick on wood planks and it was never completed. We wanted to replace the flooring with vinyl to make it easier to maintain and keep the dust down. We did carpet in the bed room and at the front. When I dine the tear out I had to pull the remaining carpet that was left under the slide that the other owner left. That was the "oh ****" moment. It turned out that when Winnebago built this couch they first installed a 1/4 inch plywood strip the length of the 13' slide about 3 1/2"s wide. They beveled the edge and stapled it to the wood floor so that it would act as a ramp for the slide to glide up onto so that when the slide was extended it would raise the last 3 1/2 "and help seal the slide at the top. Then they installed the carpet onto it. I realized this was a manufactured ramp that the metal /plastic shoe under the slide would ride on (= plastic sliding on carpet which works well even under pressure.) Ok now I just pulled the carpet off the wood ramp which changed the height of the ramp and the ramp protection. I could not see paying the kind of prices that the dealer wanted to do the job correctly in full. One guy told me to extend the slide out, then bring it in 6 to 8 inches, then I could raise it enough to work on it. He was wrong, there was no room to work at all. I called Winnebago support and the guy I talked to said that he used to do this and that he knew that the slide would go out far enough for me to do the repair. At this point I was determined to do the job. I would fix it or ruin it but I wasn't going to cave to the dealer. I then extended the slide out all the way and took the screws out of the frame around the slide (remember where the screws come from as they are different sizes). I then extended the slide another 4" to 5". That was not enough because the slide floor under the booth was deeper. I knew that I needed it to go out at least another 8" to be able to get under the coach to remove and replace the slide shoe. I looked at the aluminum slide beams the slid into the metal frames under the coach and determined that if I could figure how to slide it out another 8 " that the beams were long enough to continue to support the slide out at the inner side. But I was worried about the weight of the slide resting on only a small amount of beam in the frame after extending that much? My brother and I placed a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood under the slide on the ground to act as a smooth floor to slide a floor jack on. This coach has cargo compartments as a part of the lower slide. I didn't want to bend anything so we got a straight 4"x4"x8' wood post and a placed it under the slide out towards the outer side. This was to take some weight off of the beams as the slide was pulled out more. Then I knew we would need to disconnect the hydraulic rams to be able to pull the slide out further. There was two beams holding my slide and two beveled headed screws at the outer end of each beam connecting the hydraulic rams. I removed them. Then as my brother held the handle of the floor jack , my friend and I each put our back against the coach and pushed the slide out with our feet evenly. This worked well. Now I could work on the floor inside the coach and the slide shoe under the slide as well. It was at this point I felt victory in that I knew we could do this without damaging the slide! We now needed to install a new ramp for the slide shoe to glide onto. We used plastic polymer 3 3/4"wide x4'long x 5/16" thick. We beveled the edge to replicate what was there originally and screwed it to the floor, overlapping the new vinyl. We used beveled headed rustproof decking screws and countersunk them. We then removed the metal shoe under the slide out. The shoe was 13' long. We went to Lowes and bought a strip of 1'x 13' carpet and a can of contact cement. We sprayed the contact cement onto the slide shoe being sure to cover both sides well. We also sprayed the backside of the carpet and let the glued surfaces tack so that when we attached them together they would bond well. We wrapped the carpet completely around the shoe leaving the seam where after installed would be sandwiched against the bottom of the slide to assure it would stay intact under pressure. We drilled the carpet (use the drill in reverse in high speed to somewhat burn the hole in the carpet so that the carpet fiber won't frazzle ) where the original screw holes where so that the head of the screws would be counter sunk and would not damage the new vinyl. After we installed the carpet covered slide shoe we pushed the slide in and reattached the rams. Our slide works very well now and we don't have to worry at all about our new floor getting scratched. I regret that I didn't take more pictures. I only have one that shows the slide out of the coach and I could take a picture of the completed job is someone would like. This forum has help me. I hope this will be some help to someone else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00072-20100818-1820.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	75304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00001-20100831-1658.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	75305  

Name:	IMG00003-20100831-1659.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	75306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00095-20100824-1616.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	75307  

Old 10-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #92
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #93
Winnebago Watcher

2003 Winnebago adventurer 35U

I also have a Winnebago adventurer 35U and I'd like to remove the carpet and glue down a vinyl tile of some sorts.
I was very glad to find someone that is willing to share the information on how to prepare the slide outs for the change of flooring.
My e-mail address is [email protected]. Thank you
Cornnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #94
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornnutz View Post
I also have a Winnebago adventurer 35U and I'd like to remove the carpet and glue down a vinyl tile of some sorts.
I was very glad to find someone that is willing to share the information on how to prepare the slide outs for the change of flooring.

We loved our Winnebago adventurer 35U. Happy to help
Jesse
Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #95
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornnutz View Post
I am right in the middle of replacing the slide shoe on my 2004 Sun Cruiser to accomodate LVT. After I tore off all of the interior frame work of the slide I discovered I could not extend the slide beyond the normal operating extension without detaching the hydraulic rams. I did not want to do this because it looks like they will be very difficult to reattach. I did discover that the slide shoe can be removed without over extension of the slide. I will take some photos tomorrow and post.
TKahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #96
Winnebago Camper

Replacing Capet with vinyl -and slide out

My wife and I have followed this thread with interest. We are in the planning stages for doing a carpeting replacement with vinyl on our 2001 Winnebago 32V. I called the Winnebago factory and spoke with a gentleman there about what we wish to do, and the concerns we have read about with respect to the slide out damaging the floor, the replacement of the slide shoe, and overextending the slides.

He told me people do the carpet replacement all the time. The slideout room should be no problem as it is designed to overextend once the interior trim has been removed. He said we should be able to extend it 6 or 8 inches beyond the side of the vehicle so that the metal slide shoe can be replaced with a carpeted version that can be obtained from any Winnebago dealer. There is a limit switch, he said, that would stop the travel of the slideout. The only caution he had was to tell us to make sure we place some wood or other support under the slideout to prevent it from inadvertently hinging outward while it is extended.

Why am I posting this? I am mainly looking to hear if someone has actually extended their slide out in this manner and successfully replaced the shoe. Or, if someone will actually try this before we do our project, and confirm it works

Joe
JK6263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #97
Winnebago Owner

I would never do as you posted. And I do this all the time and I never post in bold unless I feel that the results would be devastating. FYI
Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #98
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK6263 View Post
My wife and I have followed this thread with interest. We are in the planning stages for doing a carpeting replacement with vinyl on our 2001 Winnebago 32V. I called the Winnebago factory and spoke with a gentleman there about what we wish to do, and the concerns we have read about with respect to the slide out damaging the floor, the replacement of the slide shoe, and overextending the slides.

He told me people do the carpet replacement all the time. The slideout room should be no problem as it is designed to overextend once the interior trim has been removed. He said we should be able to extend it 6 or 8 inches beyond the side of the vehicle so that the metal slide shoe can be replaced with a carpeted version that can be obtained from any Winnebago dealer. There is a limit switch, he said, that would stop the travel of the slideout. The only caution he had was to tell us to make sure we place some wood or other support under the slideout to prevent it from inadvertently hinging outward while it is extended.

Why am I posting this? I am mainly looking to hear if someone has actually extended their slide out in this manner and successfully replaced the shoe. Or, if someone will actually try this before we do our project, and confirm it works

Joe

Hi Joe
I did it and if you need help I am there for you.
Jesse
Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #99
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Jesse!

Right now, we are getting a quote on having it done. But, when we see the cost, and being avid DIYers, I am fairly sure we will be doing this ourselves. So, we may be in touch.
JK6263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 AM   #100
Winnebago Owner

tell me what the quote is

Tags
winnebago, slide, carpet